Favorite all time movie

Favorite Movie:

For some of you older guys, it's possible to remember the first Star Wars movie in 1977. That will always be my favorite science fiction / space war movie, hands down. As for war...nothing that's come out in the last 20 years holds a candle to ones from the '60's and '70's: A Bridge Too Far,etc. Saving Private Ryan? I suppose if one rates movies based on shock and revulsion value, that first 15 minutes or so will always stick in my head...too bad I can't quite get rid of it.
Personally, the time I went to the theater when I was about 10 years old and saw Midway in "Sensurround" has to be about the best war movies ( that's 1976 or so ). For accuracy, the older stuff is definitely better; for special effects, the newer stuff.

Keep your guns oiled and your canvas dry...

Good list there, Navair. Best war movie for me would have to be Malick's "The Thin Red Line", simply because I don't think I've cried so hard at a movie in my entire life.

Well, OK, I cried during parts of AI, but thats a different story altogether.

I've tried really hard to like The 13th Warrior but I can't bring myself to have anything but angst towards it. I do like the Fire Dragon sequence though.

My List:

A.I.
The Thin Red Line
The Way Of The Gun
The Empire Strikes Back
Fight Club
Conan The Barbarian
The Vikings
Michael Collins
A Patch Of Blue

Event Horizon... That one just blew my mind.
Laurence Fishburn and Sam Neill are just great and what a great story. One of the best Sci-fi movies ever I'm sure.

Originally posted by LeHah
Good list there, Navair. Best war movie for me would have to be Malick's "The Thin Red Line", simply because I don't think I've cried so hard at a movie in my entire life.

I remember crying during the second Star Wars movie when I was young. More recently, many of the stuff from Japan can be wrenching. Evangelion, for example, or Jinroh. I've yet to cry, but I've had to make a genuine effort not to.

The Indiana Jones movies were my favorite when I was little. I still like them exept for Temple of Doom somthing about that movie I can't take anymore.

Happy Thanks Giving

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I remember crying during the second Star Wars movie when I was young. More recently, many of the stuff from Japan can be wrenching. Evangelion, for example, or Jinroh. I've yet to cry, but I've had to make a genuine effort not to.

Hmm, we could start a whole new thread: "Powerful movies that can cause even GUYS to cry".

We know that gals cry at pretty much anything, whereas we guys are, well, more "discriminating customers". Heck, I'll even start it off:

Best 'almost cried' movie: SW Episode I, when Guai-Gon Jinn is killed by Darth Maul.
Best 'DID cry' movie: (I'll hafta get back to you on that; it's kinda hard to think of one at the moment)...

It's funny that we've gotten onto the subject of these movies. There were two I was going to rent out, but didn't. Angel Eyes and City of Angels. (If Burrows or Jilot were in them, I would have for sure :) ). The Green Mile was on Sunday night, and I was going to tape it, but didn't. Probably a good thing too, as Mick Foley, who you may know as the insane former wrestler who wrestled with beds of nails, barbed wire, explosives, fire and such, said he had to fight to keep from crying like a baby. I'm also surprised that Titanic didn't get any votes for best or saddest movie. I know that it was too much for me when we see all the dead bodies in the water, remembering that this actually happened. How about games? Any games that made you grieve? I know there have been some for me. Yeah, you'll probably say Wing Commander 2 and all that. Well, yeah, that was bad, and boy did it fill me with anger what happened there. It does not, however, top Final Fantasy VII in my view. Play to the end of disc 1 and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. The saddest moment in any game, ever.

Originally posted by LeHah

Well, OK, I cried during parts of AI, but thats a different story altogether.

You liked it that much? Personally I thought it was a tired plot with lots of money to spend on special effects. Not cry worthy.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Evangelion, for example, or Jinroh. I've yet to cry, but I've had to make a genuine effort not to.

Parts of Eva are hard for me to sit through. End Of Eva, worse so.

Oh, tell me about it. Just got Death: Rebirth today. God knows how I'll do with that. And...I don't think I'm brave enough to watch EoE, reading a review of the movie. Anyway, who's your fave character? Your least fave? And what bits were a bit much for you? I bet near the end would be rather high on the list. :)

Death And Rebirth is just the Eva series cut down to film length. Blah. EoE has a lot of very disturbing imagery from the first 2 minutes on.

My fav episodes of Eva were... well, it would be easier just to list the or two I didn't like. The same goes for Vision Of Escaflowne.

thats true,
The start of Saving Private Ryan in the Cemetery (sp?) always chokes me up, and the end where Miller tells Ryan to "earn this"

The end of 633 Squadron is quite good, I like Davis and Barretts last exchange
<Barrett> "They're proberly all dead...all 633 squadron"
<Davis> "You can't kill a squadron"

The end of Benji The Hunted used to always get to me as a kid.
Now that I'm older, though, the two films that get to me the most are Stolen Summer and Schindlers List.

Eh? Last House on the Left, you say? Had a look, and being big on 'an eye for an eye', actually sounds like this could be my sort of movie.

Back