Fan Mod Project

I figured it couldn't be hard to get a bunch of WC Fans, and some 3D graphics and some people together.
Ha.
So you have taken WC Fans as hostages in your basement and forced them to learn 3D :eek:

Sorry couldn't resist. ^_^

Toast,
Exactly

Chris Reid,
If it is possible, meaning if you can find some of those news stories, scraps of information etc -- if you guys can.

gevatter_Lars,
~~~! No, I wouldn't do anything like that -- That would be so horrible!!!

Either way, project or no project, I'll probably get around to scanning in some of the sketches in...
Victoria Kent,
E-Mail: Miracinonyx3@hotmail.com

The search feature on the front page is probably all the help you need. The CIC has published a front page story about just every fan created thing over the years. Just plug in what you want and start scanning the results.

Please google homeworld review. It's usually polite to do some research yourself on both this web site and google, and learn as much as you can. Then you can post a thoughtful and well-informed question afterwards.

What's the advantages/disadvantages of the Homeworld game engine?

V Kent

Well, if you haven't played Homeworld 2, it's basically an RTS in 3D, not a flight simulator, so any mod of it would not be like the traditional games in the WC franchise, nor would it be like Arena. It is, however, very pretty and you can get some truly epic fleet vs. fleet capital ship wars going on - There is a WC4 HW2 conversion with a dedicated thread on this forum somewhere. Since I have a feeling you haven't tried searching for it yet, here's a quick link:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20226

The engine looks suited for portraying large scale fleet combat. Save game files allow for persistence between game sessions, so it's possible to do a campaign. There is a set of modding tools and the game does use a scripting language but offhand I'm not sure what it is. Here's a link to a page with lots of technical information on how to open up HW2 and start modding. From the looks of existing mods, the tools are very flexible but poorly documented. You can do just about anything but there are few instructions as to how. You will *definitely* have to learn the scripting language and data structures to do any modding; there is no drag-and-drop construction set. By the way, the publisher for Homeworld 2, Relic Studios, no longer exists, so there is no longer a lot of official support for the modding tools, which were in a semi-finished, or at least not especially user-friendly, state.

Here is a link to a decent modding fansite for HW2 and to a forum and reference page on modding Homeworld 2. Lots of technical information here. If you're patient, you could probably figure out lots of things, including AI tweaking, adding new models to the game, etc.

http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_homeworld2.htm

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

http://hw2wiki.net/wiki.hw2.info/KarosGraveyard.html

I've tinkered with it a bit but don't really know my way around. All these pages are easily found with a simple Google search and a little looking around. This is all I know. I'm not equipped to give a tutorial on modding HW2, as my experience with it is limited to having installed completed mods on my copy of the game, which I no longer play.

Well Vision (WCP/SO engine), FS2, Homeworld2 (ask czarcen about this he's the guy doing the WC4 mod), Vegastrike and I maybe some others.

Try searching this forum to see what people have proposed over the years, you can help yourself to limiting to those things that you think you can manage. I know the Vision engine requires some programming skill, so it may not be the best to use if you don't have experience in that field already.

do not forget Flight Commander, which would be an excellent choice for anyone planning to make a new mod in the 27th century!

Good point, posted that during a break at work so had was on the fly. FC is probably your best bet as well since Ed is always here to help modders.

How easy is the Flight Commander game engine?

Well since you asked, download the latest version, and try creating a mission. There are step by step instructions on the web site, and you can ask questions in the forum if you get stuck.

To start off, use the graphical mission editor, and run through the "how to edit a mission" tutorial.

You should also play through a few missions, just to see the limitations of the AI.

and to date they have been working on saga for years..

flight commander is a lot better of a suggestion

Let's not get into an engine fight. I'd suggest just try making a mission in each engine and see what's best for you.

my prediction: you'll give it up in few weeks... Mostly people that come off with such enthusiasm and without any knowledge in the begining get bored fairly quickly...

of course, i might be wrong.

Back