Engine

Originally posted by Delance
Semi-Legaly? Open Source? What are you talking about exactaly? If it is open source, it's a legal download... But why would anyone open the copyright on such a recent engine?

Because Volition is pretty much out of business AFAIK. And they don't plan on a 3rd part. And they are nicer the OSI in that case ;)
Regarding Semi-Legality - I think you have to apply for the source instead of just DLing it.

Originally posted by cff
Because Volition is pretty much out of business AFAIK. And they don't plan on a 3rd part. And they are nicer the OSI in that case ;)
Regarding Semi-Legality - I think you have to apply for the source instead of just DLing it.

Depends on what the copyright owners put in the "open source" license. They can make it so it's OK for anyone to download it.

Too bad about Volition. I thought they made money out of “Red Faction”.

Whether or not Red Faction 3D will make zillions of starbucks has absolutely no impact on the future of the space combat genre.

Although if it does return, they, like Destination, anticipate it being on a console. Fancy that.

Are there other engines being considered for UE2? Which are their advantages / disadvantages?

we're currently negotiating with Digital Anvil for a hybrid version of the freelancer engine...that is to say, one that flies like Wing Commander.

Fortunately, there are ways to reverse such trends. Oh, great, now it looks like I'm talking to myself :p.

Anyway... Mario, when you have a spare moment, do you think you could cook up for us an updated UE patch that includes the new fiction viewer? From what I've seen in Standoff, it is a most impressive piece of work :).

Consider it done :) I'm curious tho: are you planning integrating the fiction in UE for the next release?

Also, will you be needing the paragraph tags #p0, ... #p9 ? Eder said he wouldn't be needing them so... i got lazy :D Everything else is working tho, and i can always implement this fairly quickly.

Mario

Paragraph tags?

And if no one else will incoporate the fiction then I will, not sure how long it would take me with the time available though.

Yes, I'd very much like to do a UE1 release with built-in fiction and a few other improvements...
About the paragraph thing, they're not actually necessary for UE1. If you feel like implementing them, they certainly could be applied to UE1, but they are definitely not a necessity, and I know you always have much less time than you need, so... ;)

(Wedge, I deleted a bunch of posts after the thread descended into stupidity, that's why your reply is gone, and that's why my last post was a reply to posts that weren't there :p)

Just a question: The SO engine uses 8-bit 256 color textures, right? Do all the textures share the same palette, or does every texture have it's own?

Which is fortunate. Can you imagine trying to make all these different textures with just 256 colours? It would be like WC1 :p.

What about using a pop up 2D Holographic image like in La Femme Nikita the TV series for the fiction room. If that can be done I think it would be cool and fit nicely in with the WC theme. I obviously don't have any programing experience but Shockwave would seem to be able to do something like that. Kind of like the opening show of the SO web site

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, hey, if we could do people, I don't think we'd hesitate for even a moment ;).
Well, then , you should try a prog called "3DMeNow". It takes photos of people's faces (i.e., yours) that you scan into your PC, and can make lifelike 3D articulated models (can be animated for speech, facial expressions, etc.) of their heads/faces, which can then be imported into other applications (esp. "The Sims"-they have a specific plug-in for that). Here's the URL:

http://www.biovirtual.com/3DMeNow/index.htm

This seems to hold real promise for a situation like that. AND: It's available now for just $15 online (basic version). Check it out & see whatcha think. Then post here. I'd be curious to hear what your opinion is...

Back