Your opinion of ejection pods,

• Practical means of escape

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • The cowards way out

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • indifferent

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters
I tractor ejected pilots in whenever I have the chance... In WC2 I do it just for fun, but in Privateer, I do this because it's such an easy way to make some extra bucks out of each kill :)

--Eder

Originally posted by Oggy

Whys that?, what do they do to them?, do they train with live weapons or something (as opposed to quarter strength and sims like confed), or are the conditions the cadets live in just so harsh?

Honestly, I don't rightly know. Although they do mention in the novels about how most Kat pilots die in training, because I believe they DO use live ammo, etc. However, I'm sure someon else can provide better information on that subject.

Ejection pods are sooooo uncool. The best way of ejection: in your flight suit. :D

The WC1 and WC2 (?) means of escape were much more fun than modern WC ejection pods.

There's my 2 cents.

haha!

Yes, it was so funny seeing a guy in a seat wearing a space helmet and bomber jacktet spin slowly via Mode 7! Hahaha!

Plus, the ginchy music helped a lot!

:D

Originally posted by CamW
Ejection pods are sooooo uncool. The best way of ejection: in your flight suit. :D

The WC1 and WC2 (?) means of escape were much more fun than modern WC ejection pods.

There's my 2 cents.

Im not so sure. It seems just a bit unpractical to me. I mean, you were weraring blue jeans..........

YES AND

Don't forget about the bomber jacket! Isn't it cool how in the future, our duty uniforms will no longer be flightsuits? They'll be jeans, a nice shirt and a bomber jacker!

Oh yeah- the gloves were smashing too.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Originally posted by Oggy

BTW : Didn't Hawk say something to Casey in Prophecy that the Kilrathi picked up his fathers pod, had their fun (hacked him to pieces) and then dumped him in his pod back into space for Blair to find? (yet another reason not to eject, being at the Kilrathi's mercy is not my idea of a good end to a career)

In answer to all this talk about ejecting, the way I see it, you should pack some grenades. If you need to eject do so. If the bad guys pick you up you can always detonate the grenades and take a few more of them with you :cool: If the good guys pick you up you'd better stash the grenades somewhere, where the marine you stole 'em off won't see ;)

Originally posted by Talyn 83
I once killed 3 jalkehi in wc2 with one mass driver, no ejection pod, no damage control and a ship that couldn't go faster then 52kps.

I know the AI's not perfect but I strongly doubt that 3 Jalkehis could miss a fighter flying at 52kps.

Shoot the pods? bleh .... I run them over :D You get this crazy shield popping sound when you run over a pod in wc4 .....

Im not so sure. It seems just a bit unpractical to me. I mean, you were weraring blue jeans..........

I'd really like to get a pair of those airtight jeans too ...

-pen

I think one of the main reasons I wouldn't eject, doesn't come from being in ConFleet-but from me being a Privateer. I tell ya, I held no qualms about picking up some damn merc I killed, and selling him into bondage. :)

Shoot the ejected pilot? No way!

There is no honour to be won by destroying a helpless foe, it only can be lost.

Remember the part "... I shall hold life sacred..." in Oath of Confederation?

But selling them to slavery in Privateer, that's cool.:D

Who cares about honor when your outnumbered 10 to 1 and you are losing a war that will decide the fate of humanity. By shooting the ejection pod, or running it over whichever you chose, (both are fun) You are preserving the life that you hold so sacred. The life of 50 billion of your fellow citezens. If the Kilrathi had won, there would be no more life to to hold sacred and protect.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Who cares about honor when your outnumbered 10 to 1 and you are losing a war that will decide the fate of humanity. By shooting the ejection pod, or running it over whichever you chose, (both are fun) You are preserving the life that you hold so sacred. The life of 50 billion of your fellow citezens. If the Kilrathi had won, there would be no more life to to hold sacred and protect.

This is the same dillema Tolwyn faced, and you've chosen the same thing he did. Is survival of humanity proper worth the loss of humanity itself?

Originally posted by Skyfire
I think one of the main reasons I wouldn't eject, doesn't come from being in ConFleet-but from me being a Privateer. I tell ya, I held no qualms about picking up some damn merc I killed, and selling him into bondage. :)

That always bugged me. If you just happened to pick someone up, Confed automatically assumed you were a slaver. I never traded in slaves, I find the idea repugnant. I always considered any money I made from people I picked up as reward money paid by the government for the criminals.

Ehh, leave the ejected pilots for the authorities -- you wouldn't go around gathering up wounded people after a bank robbery and taking them home with you <G>

(Generally, though, if you come across an ejected pilot it means you've been trying to kill humans, which is probably illegal anyway:)).

Perhaps it's because of the modern day, you have your fighter-and if it's scrapped, your done for. (We have more pilots than fighters, instead of vice versa as it sometimes seems in WC)

Modern day, perhaps we do.
In WW2, however, that wasn't the case.
Nations started off with their pilots who had the full allotment of flight training during peacetime. Those who were good survived for a time, but everyone's number comes up eventually. If the war lasts for a long period of time, then before long, one side or the other (if not both) ends up fielding raw recruits with just enough flight training to get the plane up in the air and (maybe) be able to land it again, as well.
So at the start of the war, the equipment is more useful than the personnel, but as the war continues, the balance shifts the other way.
It also helps if your flight schools are in safe territory (a major problem for Germany as the war went on).

Originally posted by Zor Prime

Well, I do. Kilrathi are a life form, and life is sacred. We play by Kilrathi's rules, how are we different from them?Get it?

And BTW, what do you think of Dakhath "Deathstroke" Nar Caxki? IIRC, he had a bad habit of shooting ejected pilots. He's your idol, right?:D

Back