Votes: 27 60.0%
  • The cowards way out

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • indifferent

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Ejection pods, do they encourage pilots to jump ship at the first sign of trouble, would the lack of an ejection pod on fighters make pilots fight harder?

in the case of WWI fighters, there were no parachutes issued as they were seen as cowardly, this is why i am surprised the Kilrathi fit ejection pods in their fighters (what with their honour structure and everything)

A new aspect has been brought about with the Nephilim scooping up ejected pilots for experiments, *eek* personally, i'd rather ride my exploding fuel tanks than eject around the Nephilim

When you fligh the Dralthi mk2, in Wc1 Sm2, there is no ejection pod.
I thought that was because Kilrathi did not want to use them !

I've seen kilrathi pilots eject in WC III, so that would mean their fighters had pods (how many blood thirsty pilots went after the pods though?) Any time I've ejected, either i get shot up in the pod or captured, confed has never got to me first, so now i never bother, and just hope i don't "buy the farm" when my ship is beaten up

I tend to see myself as going down with my ship. Perhaps it's because of the modern day, you have your fighter-and if it's scrapped, your done for. (We have more pilots than fighters, instead of vice versa as it sometimes seems in WC) Which is why, I see myself as fighting until I can either get home, or I die. If I die, at least I took out a few more baddies, but if I live-I've proven that whatever lucky shot damaged me that bad (That's right, I said lucky! :) ) I'm a good enough pilot to make it back.

As for the Kilrathi, I can understand them wanting them, becuase they had a REAL bad problem keeping quality pilots. After all, a good chunk of their candidates didn't make it through Kilrathi Flight School.

I always used to go after the pods as well, as Maniac would say "can't fly? must die!" ,besides, I can't bear to leave anything unfinished <G>,
I was surprised the Kilrathi ejected at all though, wouldn't that dishonour them in fact that they were beaten in battle, I would expect them to take the approach that it is more honourable to go down with your ship

Consider this: they have different kinds of honor, remember:

1) personal honor
2)the honor of the clan
3)the honor of the emperor (and thus the empire)

So, if they get themselves killed, it's good for their honor, but bad to the honor of the clan and the honor of the emperor (them being short on pilots and all, they're not really helping their warr effort by dieing.

Originally posted by Skyfire

As for the Kilrathi, I can understand them wanting them, becuase they had a REAL bad problem keeping quality pilots. After all, a good chunk of their candidates didn't make it through Kilrathi Flight School.

Whys that?, what do they do to them?, do they train with live weapons or something (as opposed to quarter strength and sims like confed), or are the conditions the cadets live in just so harsh?

good point Talyn, but I think going down with your ship would
1) increase your personal honour that you died fighting the enemy
2)increase your clans honour as although you were defeated in battle (loss of honour) but, you died like a warrior (as opposed to dieing a coward in an ejection pod if the confed pilots are like Zor or Me <G>)
3) you died fighting for the emperor

I'm a Warrior

I'd go down with my ship!

Like Maniac once said "They're going to have to pry my dead body out of the cockpit."

Couldn't go after the pods, just didn't seem right. Wish I could have tractored them in. The intel you might be able to get from them could be useful.

I see the clan and emperor part more as an obligation to them than as honour per se. If I were out there, i'd be flying for my own honour, to protect my loved ones (my clan) and the political ideas iI believe in (emperor and empire). I can not serve my clan or my empire when i'm dead, even though I would just face the fact that my time has come when (sorry, if :D, which is most unlikely) I die in battle.

Originally posted by Shane
Couldn't go after the pods, just didn't seem right. Wish I could have tractored them in. The intel you might be able to get from them could be useful.

Thats very.....kind of you (do unto others as you would expect them to do unto you, i suspect the Kilrathi would either scoop up the pods to capture pilots, or just blow pods out of space though) I like the idea of tractoring the pods in for intel though (I always use to tractor in pods in WC IV, confed and border worlds) maybe that could be an idea for the next game in the series *nudges Origin* but don't hold your breath

BTW : Didn't Hawk say something to Casey in Prophecy that the Kilrathi picked up his fathers pod, had their fun (hacked him to pieces) and then dumped him in his pod back into space for Blair to find? (yet another reason not to eject, being at the Kilrathi's mercy is not my idea of a good end to a career)

I think ejection pods in Kilrathi fightere were only installed in WC3 (the movie ships have definately no ejection seats, nor do the WC1-era Kilrathi have one).

And while dying in your ship may appear to be cool to most of us (and very heroic) but I seriously doubt that many of us would actually go down with their ship.

You shoot ejection pods? Bah, you bloodthirsty savages!

Cowardly schmowardly.

The only reason I can think of not to eject if you're in trouble is so you don't have Eisen yellin' at you in WC3.

Yikes! :eek:

Whenever a kilrathi ejected, i tried to shot the pod!!!!!

Heh, heh. Me too. :)

Listen, I'm not saying I wouldn't eject, after all, everyone gets unlucky sometime, but if my ejection system was fried, I'd go down fighting, instead of trying to run. I remember (but not much about it) that in the earlier wc-games, your ejection system could be destroyed, and I also remeber making it home with the snot from my nose holding together my different systems. I once killed 3 jalkehi in wc2 with one mass driver, no ejection pod, no damage control and a ship that couldn't go faster then 52kps.
If there's a chance, you have got to try and make the most of it.

At least, that's what I think

Of course, in the games. I never ejected in the games (besides for seeing cutscenes). I tried till I died and then I chose "Replay mission". :)

But in reality, I would eject if possible, that's for sure. But who cares for reality? :)

A lot of the time when you did eject, you'd get captured and killed anyway.

I'd rather go down fighting and take as many of them with me as possible.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
You shoot ejection pods? Bah, you bloodthirsty savages!
So did your WC1 Dralthi ace, Deathstroke, who's Kilrathi name eludes me at the moment.

Originally posted by Talyn 83
Listen, I'm not saying I wouldn't eject, after all, everyone gets unlucky sometime, but if my ejection system was fried, I'd go down fighting, instead of trying to run.
Sounds good to me. Besides, if your ejection system's already bit it, there's a good chance your damaged ion drive won't get you back!

Back