Dreadnougts

Out of curiosity, do they ever actually specify what those pre-Fleet Action size limitations were? Or are they just "somewhere" between 1000 and 1500 metres?

Also, does anyone know what class the TCS Eisen is?

You haven't found the answer to that yet? If LOAF hasn't discovered it yet, it's doubtful anyone would. Good for us we don't actually need to show it, eh?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not exactly, DH. It's just that LOAF still hasn't replied to my e-mail, so I figured that an answer might come sooner if I post here
wink.gif

It is indeed fortunate that we don't have to show it. Would be nice, though.
smile.gif

There's no need to bring up naming conventions -- they're clearly not followed in the Wing Commander Universe as strictly as they are in reality.

The Eisen is a Vesuvius for the following reasons...

- It's the only class of carrier we *know* they're still producing after WC4.
- It has more than one fighter wing, and is not a Midway class ship.
- It carries fighters which the ICIS manual says are assigned to heavy carriers. Since it's not a Midway, it must be a Vesuvius.

Quarto said:
Out of curiosity, do they ever actually specify what those pre-Fleet Action size limitations were? Or are they just "somewhere" between 1000 and 1500 metres?

Also, does anyone know what class the TCS Eisen is?

I was always under the influence (my own...possibly...) that it was a Ves class. The had to honor the chap somehow. What better way than to name a ship about good'ol Jason? (William for you guys who didn't know his real name)

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Well yeah, but the Vesuvii (Vesuviuses?
smile.gif
) are named after volcanoes. Now, Captain Eisen had a tendency to explode if you came back without your fighter, but a volcano he was not
biggrin.gif

What did I tell you, Q?
smile.gif
Still, as interesting as it may be to have such a ship in UE, keeping it out of site may still be prudent.

Bandit LOAF said:

We are told in Fleet Action that before the Hakaga's there was no way to move such large ships through jump gates -- the Hakaga class heavy carriers are the first ships to be able to avoid the previous size limitation on jump points. Naturally, after Fleet Action (ie, WC3) this limitation no longer exists.

Thanks for the info. I remember that from the novel, I was "thinking" in a limited sense. That is, the disccovery allowed for larger ships, but not as large as the Dreadnought. Instead it must've been one of those breakthroughs that didn't cause you to hit another limit. Or at least they heaven't hit a new one, yet. I hope that made sense.

LOAF: Thanks for not making me a liar
smile.gif

Quarto: <4 year old voice>TOLD YOU SO!</4 year old voice>
tongue.gif
smile.gif

------------------

You're quite right, Death's Head. The Eisen stays out of the scene. Mostly because I still remain unconvinced.

I mean, Confed used any number of different classes of ships, and each sector seemed to use different classes. Just as there is no evidence that Confed is building nothing except Vesuvii and Midways, so there is also no evidence to the contrary.

I know this sounds like an excuse to give the players obscenely powerful ships, but what about and RnD unit involved in the game (i havent seen the script so im not sure how if would fit in) Not necessarily for the major portion of the game but it would be a way to use that DragonLite fighter they had modeled or even the players' own designs. I have a couple concepts myself but the only program I have is a limited 3D studio max, and I havent been able to transfer the fighter models to and from it. Ergo, no finished models. OK, now back to the Dreadnought topic...

what is the status/plans for the dreadnought they had planned (looked Kilrathi sort of...) for UE?

Quarto said:
You're quite right, Death's Head. The Eisen stays out of the scene. Mostly because I still remain unconvinced.

I mean, Confed used any number of different classes of ships, and each sector seemed to use different classes. Just as there is no evidence that Confed is building nothing except Vesuvii and Midways, so there is also no evidence to the contrary.

There's evidence on the contrary. LOAF stated it. we know it's ves because of what he said. what more do you need?

------------------

The current episode doesn't really have new ships, not in regular use anyway. I can tell you that some existing designs may be used a tad differently.

Regarding the Eisen, we just want to refrain from a future breach in continuity by keeping the Eisen out of sight. This doesn't mean you won't see a Vesuvius, nor does it mean you will see one either.
smile.gif

Knight, LOAF didn't actually state any hard evidence. His evidence was based on the fact that we don't know anything else. Therefore, it doesn't prove anything.

Chernikov: The UE plot has changed a hell of a lot since you last checked it, it would seem
smile.gif
. There will be no dreadnoughts or Dragons, or any such stuff. We will only be using existing ship designs, but as DH said, how they're used might surprise you. Anyway, an R&D unit wouldn't fit in for various reasons. Remember, this is the Border Worlds we're talking about. Their Militia is really only supposed to take on pirates. They don't have much in the way of R&D - any new stuff they get is what Confed passes along in their direction.

Err hello there. Been a while. Anyways Quarto are you saying that the Border Worlders got the Banshees, Vindicators and Avengers from Confed? I always figured they built those themselves.

Just a little aside, I've noticed that you've been using the term 'Vesuvii' for several Vesuvius class carriers. I just remembered this but since ships are always referred to in the feminine sense then perhaps Vesuvius should be Vesuvia and several Vesuvius carriers should be Vesuviae, since Vesuvius is a Latin name. Latin spelling makes a distinction between the gender of names so Vesuvius and Vesuvii are one and several 'male' carriers respectively and Vesuvia and Vesuvae are one and several 'female' carriers respectively.

Penguin! You're alive.
I don't even remember when you last posted.
smile.gif

No, I'm not saying they got Avengers, Banshees, and Vindicators from Confed. Though at the same time, there's no reason why that wouldn't be the case. Note that the Sabre (WC2) was F-57, while the Excalibur (WC3) was F-103. There's a hell of a lot of Confed fighters that we haven't seen, obviously. It could be that those three ships are mid-60s Confed designs which were built on license by shipyards in the BW during the war, and then... appropriated... when the war ended. Of course, they could just as easily be BW designs.

As for the Vesuvius... they've always been called Vesuvius rather than Vesuvia, so I guess they're masculine. Yes, they should be feminine... but hey, I'm not the one who named them
smile.gif

Eh... never mind. Bad Latin jokes are just... bad.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 21, 2000).]

Back