DragonCon sacrifices

You make it sound like we go to gentlemen's clubs :). I have a pretty low tolerance, always have. I may have 2 martini's (double dirty are the best! $5 each), a vodka tonic ($3-$4) and 2 beers ($2-4 a piece) and I'm feeling pretty happy. I never just get hammered, I go out to have fun, not wake up in a ditch the next morning ;)

C-ya

In an era in which tolerance, diversity, political correctness and sensitivity are emphasized, the only tolerance I have is one for alcohol.

Viper61 said:
You make it sound like we go to gentlemen's clubs :). I have a pretty low tolerance, always have. I may have 2 martini's (double dirty are the best! $5 each), a vodka tonic ($3-$4) and 2 beers ($2-4 a piece) and I'm feeling pretty happy. I never just get hammered, I go out to have fun, not wake up in a ditch the next morning ;)

You didn't tip the bartender or the nice ladies :(

What's the lineup for this year's bashing? Maybe I can buy a copy off you, and there'll be less bitching from the hardcore fans. Plus I can say I saved a copy and therefore have fed millions in El Salvador! :D :p

Seriously, the stores here are stocking less P.C. games every day, much less keeping the oldies around for a year. :rolleyes:

:D Buy extra copies of IWar2 to destroy for me. I hate that game! :D

You guys are entitled to buy/destroy whatever you want. I have no beef about that. I was just stating my opinion about the definition of a game rip-off.

It would probably be more effective if you wore Sivarist dress and inserted some element of bizarre cult ritualism into it.

Iceblade said:
What I didn't like about it was your small persecption of what a rip-off is. By your view, Warcraft is a rip-off of earlier strategy games, and Dark Riegn and C&C are rip-offs of Warcraft. Maybe there are a no. of similarities between P2 and Tachyon, but Independence War and IWar 2 are loads different from WC. Flight is much harder in this IWar2 and you are a pirate in a totally different Universe. (Frankly, I hate the game. Good story, but too damn hard to fight.)

As Hades said, there are lots of games we generically group into the "rip-off" category that most of us enjoy and have fun with. I had fun with Starlancer, it won't stop us from having out way with a $1.99 copy in Atlanta next month. There's not a game among the bunch that we destroy that somebody there didn't like. It's just symbolic of the high place we all hold for WC in our hearts, and not necessarily indicative of how we individually feel about the non-WC games. When we have those games at the Wing Commander convention, we're not holding them as other games we had fun with, they're just the symbol of how we believe Wing Commander is the best space sim.

BattleDog said:
Okay, you're still missing my point. The games cost you $2 each, okay. I bought Freespace 1&2 in a bundle, it cost me $40. Is my copy better than the copies you got because it costs more? No. The Origional copies you destroyed are still worth $45 dollars, even if thats not what you payed.

That's pretty silly and arbitrary. When my old 1988 Grand Prix goes to the broken car yard am I throwing away $15,000? Of course not.

BattleDog said:
So America is so rich that the games are de-valued to the price of a bag of chips (french fries, not crisps.). So I see his point. The game would still have cost $45 atleast in El Salvador. Its not a question of sending those specific copies to a third world country. He's pissed off that you can do that without thinking about it.

Even if they were worth $45, and they're certaily not, how the hell could he pick that thing to be so indignant and offended by? What about the overpriced $10 lunches, overpriced $20 star wars blueprints, $10 autographs or the hundreds of dollars each of us spend on travel fare and hotel fees. The event is a luxury leisure activity. The whole point is to spend some time using money doing things you enjoy rather than maximizing your economics. If we decide to spend $45 one night doing something that we find fun, how is that offensive in the middle of us spending thousands of dollars on a vacation which is by definition a frivolous fun event. I'm sure $10 buys a load of food in Central America. Why isn't he mad that hotel restaurants rip us off and give us one burger for that price? His perspective is what's whacked.

BattleDog said:
You're entitled to your own opinion but that doesn't give you the right to destroy something that other people enjoy.

What the hell? Listen to yourself man. We somehow don't have a right to destroy something because other people could enjoy it? Where is the god damn logic in that? Does that mean people can't toss their junk mail AOL CDs in the trash because they contain the value of 1000 free hours of AOL service someone might be able to use? Under what circumstances does someone NOT have the right to destroy some random consumer good that they have legal ownership of? How dare you accuse of us not having the right to use something like that how we choose?

ChrisReid said:
As Hades said, there are lots of games we generically group into the "rip-off" category that most of us enjoy and have fun with. I had fun with Starlancer, it won't stop us from having out way with a $1.99 copy in Atlanta next month. There's not a game among the bunch that we destroy that somebody there didn't like. It's just symbolic of the high place we all hold for WC in our hearts, and not necessarily indicative of how we individually feel about the non-WC games. When we have those games at the Wing Commander convention, we're not holding them as other games we had fun with, they're just the symbol of how we believe Wing Commander is the best space sim.

Some people also seem to have a hard time understanding that this is a joke... It's not like you guys are all incredibly angry that people have made space-'sims' that aren't Wing Commander. I'm sure that, while each game was disliked by someone that was there, almost every one of the games was probably enjoyed by someone that was there... except Tachyon...

I liked Tachyon ... mostly because it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop ... also, it had Bruce Campbell.

I liked it too, a least the demo. It has been the only other space sim that I have tried that was any good.

I wish they hadn't scraped WC. It doesn't make any sense.

TC said:
I'm sure that, while each game was disliked by someone that was there, almost every one of the games was probably enjoyed by someone that was there... except Tachyon...

I enjoyed the first, like, five missions of Tachyon. After that it got kinda lame. Does that count? Liked I-War too, but it wouldn't stop me from doing evil things to it. Just go back and see my eyes lit up as I torch disc 3 of it.

As for this years' lineup, you'd have to ask Crid. I believe we have some Starlancers, more Freespace, some Jumpgate (which I will take particularly sick pleasure in destroying), and probably some others.

Ok fine, I can just see the other side.

My problem is this:

Buying something for the exclusive reason of destroying it when someone else could get endless pleasure out of it.

Yes, you are allowed to destroy your AOL CD, however, that was a free gift. You didn't want it to come through the post.

On another note:

Whats wrong with Freespace? I loved that game. Especially the fact that they took you through flight training so total rookies could get the hang of it easily. That was a great idea, especially since most people don't like to read the manual.

What do you have against people doing whatever they want to their property? They bought those games, and when they did so, they became their property. They can do anything they want to them. I don't understand why you would have a problem with this. It was their money, not your's.

BattleDog said:
My problem is this:

Buying something for the exclusive reason of destroying it when someone else could get endless pleasure out of it.

You need to get out from under your rock. Everyone I know that lives in Arizona does this constantly. For starts, I know a possee of people that bought a tickle-me-elmo just to strap it to enough explosives to send it into orbit...

If you really have a problem, aside from just wanting to debate about how you're perfect and only satan-worshipers would destroy things, maybe you can send $500+ (hey, you said the games are still worth $45 each) to the people that will be destroying games at D*C to buy the games off them. I'm sure with the extra funds they could find something you think is "constructive entertainment."

Their reaction was stupid, but did you really have to kill Freespace? I like FS...(notices he's about to get banned on the 2nd day)

Don't worry, you don't get banned unless you do something really bad or stupid in the CIC forums. This is a clean arguement (no bad-mouthing) so I don't think this thread will be closed either.

Back