Dragon*Con 2002

There were lots of people who did that, though. Some of those people had to have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on their costumes. They didn't spend all that money just so they could walk around like casual spectators. Those who looked authentic acted authentic. That's a part of what the convention is about.

Last year there was this guy dressed as an Imperial TIE fighter pilot. He was at the foodcourt a block north of the Con hotels and was grabbing some Taco Bell or something. The way he had his hair cut and that look he gave you, it just scared me. I mean that guy gave off the impression of a very cold calculated killer. Friggin Imperials..his flight suit and helmet were great, so it just all worked. Oh and you couldn't beat that Optimus Prime from last year, that guy spent lots of time and money making that costume, except he didn't transform or try to save the world. She he did act too authentic.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Some of those people had to have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on their costumes. They didn't spend all that money just so they could walk around like casual spectators. Those who looked authentic acted authentic. That's a part of what the convention is about.
Oh... guess DragonCon's freaks are... freakier than I thought. :)

Originally posted by Dynaco
The way he had his hair cut and that look he gave you, it just scared me. I mean that guy gave off the impression of a very cold calculated killer. Friggin Imperials..his flight suit and helmet were great, so it just all worked.
Well... there's an excuse to act really snobbish.

Originally posted by Dynaco
Oh and you couldn't beat that Optimus Prime from last year, that guy spent lots of time and money making that costume, except he didn't transform or try to save the world.
I think transforming would be a tad difficult. :)

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
You don't know fear until you look at anime cosplay fans. The sheer number of transvestites is sickening.

Anime Expo wasn't too bad this year. Surprisingly, there was a complete and total absence of Fat Hairy Guys in Sailor Suits this year. I might have spotted one or two cross dressers, but I don't even recall that.
There was also a lot less skin than last year, which was both a good and a bad thing. Some people just are not meant to wear that kind of outfit...

I think the single biggest thing that people need to do when picking a costume is to pick one that complements themselves. You'll look a whole lot better in an outfit if the person you dress up as actually resembles you to a certain extent, and I don't necessarily just mean exposed skin. If you look like Jet from Cowboy Bebop, don't dress as Spike.

And for those truly interested, here are some images from this years Anime Expo.

http://www.fansview.com/2002/animeexpo/ax2002.htm

And this one is from 2001. Although I didn't see it myself, the Mai on this page (second from bottom) apparently learned first hand the dangers of wearing the wrong costume was playing Dance Dance Revolution.
:rolleyes:

http://www.fansview.com/2001/animeexpo/ax05a0019.html

Much like hardcore Sci-Fans, hardcore anime freaks tend to ruin the scene.

Isn't that always the case? I don't care what it is, there are fans far enough out there to make me want to sit quietly in the corner quietly clutching a fully automatic weapon for safety.

Back