Did we capture bin Laden?

Did we capture bin Laden?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 100.0%

• Total voters
You're confusing two different, unrelated things. It can be pure brainwashing propaganda and/or be good from a technical point of view. In fact, effective brainwashing propaganda movies are supposed to be good entertaining movies. One certainly doesn't exclude the other. Like it or not,
lots of important modern filmmaking techniques were developed by Nazi propaganda filmmakers, and are still used today on Hollywood or TV advertising.

Saddam Hussein has better PR then Bush. The genocidal dictator is being hailed as a victim of imperialism, and the elected president of the world's greatest democracy is being painted a ruthless monster.

Of course, if the world really was brainwashed, you'd still think it's crazy to claim the world is brainwashed, but...

I know which side the bread's buttered on, don't you worry. I feel that America has done some things wrong in the past. But really, who hasn't?

I didn't say anyone was being brainwashed. But the "persuasive" techniques used by Gobbels to sell "nazism" can also be used to sell cigarettes.

Originally posted by Delance
I didn't say anyone was being brainwashed. But the "persuasive" techniques used by Gobbels to sell "nazism" can also be used to sell cigarettes.

Persuasive techniques? Do you have any examples?

Advertising you mean? I think a lot of people have woken up to the tricks used here. And to called something as advertising or marketing a product with what people want is what you refer to as brainwashing, then you are beyond the pale.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I know which side the bread's buttered on, don't you worry. I feel that America has done some things wrong in the past. But really, who hasn't?
Ah, but how do you know you haven't been brainwashed to think you haven't been brainwashed? And how do you know I haven't been brainwashed to ask how you know if you haven't been brainwashed? In fact, how can you even be sure this conversation is really taking place? And how do I know you even exist?

Advertising you mean? I think a lot of people have woken up to the tricks used here. And to called something as advertising or marketing a product with what people want is what you refer to as brainwashing, then you are beyond the pale.

No, I'm referring to propaganda as propaganda, and advertising as advertising. As much as those words have now different connotations in English, they have essentially the same meaning.

You can also do some research on "disinformation".

Originally posted by Quarto
Ah, but how do you know you haven't been brainwashed to think you haven't been brainwashed? And how do you know I haven't been brainwashed to ask how you know if you haven't been brainwashed? In fact, how can you even be sure this conversation is really taking place? And how do I know you even exist?

How do you know that, say, you really die instead of it being an illusion? How do you know the the stories we hear such as Wing Commander are real or not? Heh, this reminds me of the Home Improvement where they have a discussion like this. I know, or at the very least I believe, because I have faith in what I hear. I don't take much stock into how the $19.95 all in one exercise football will heal my bad ankles and make me fit to feel the Navy SEALS Hell Week is a vacation. But I have a lot of faith when I'm told things that have been proven, beyond reasonable doubt, such as the video evidence of a murderer.

Originally posted by Delance
No, I'm referring to propaganda as propaganda, and advertising as advertising. As much as those words have now different connotations in English, they have essentially the same meaning.

You can also do some research on "disinformation".

To me, brainwashing is something that is forced. Advertising is something that is not forced onto you in most cases. Propoganda is not forced onto you. You have a right to ignore it. You have a right to not believe in it. Brainwashing does not give you that freedom.

How do you know that, say, you really die instead of it being an illusion? How do you know the the stories we hear such as Wing Commander are real or not? Heh, this reminds me of the Home Improvement where they have a discussion like this.

It was actually a reference to "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", one of the neatest X-Files episodes ever.

Originally posted by vindicator
I say as long as its not endangered I can kill it if I want to and I probably will

-rance-

Considering there's six billion people, I see it as my right, NO, my DUTY, to kill you.

Then again, you might kill me with your poor punctuation. What a strain on the eyes! :rolleyes: However, I digress....

[EDIT] Also on further reading, talking about brainwashing and Captain Planet, I made a sarcastic comment. Then again, I don't think vindicator/rance is capable of 'looking behind' sarcasm judging by his posts. :cool:

Originally posted by Quarto

The red pill, or the blue pill?

Originally posted by vindicator
.......what you don't know anything heh heh I thought so

Some good things people have done for the environment:
- Rosevelt (sp?) did a lot to preserve Americas wildlife. I don't know how many conservations he set up. I'm guessing its a lot.

- National tree day.

- Recycling, though in some cases this is actually a bad thing since it puts more bleech into water ways.

- The WWF. They work to prevent trade, poaching of endangered species, protect and restore rain forests etc ....

- Tree farms, fish farms etc ...

- All that research into biodegradable materials, compounds/ organisms that can break down harmful chemicals into safer biproducts.

- That agreement everybody signed to reduce the amount of shit we put into the air.

Also:
- Don't give shit to environmentalists. They're the only thing stopping us from having to live on a shit hole planet.

- If you want to give shit to anyone make it a planetist since they think the best thing the human race can do for the earth is wipe themselves out.

- Killing things off doesn't "speed up" evolution. The process by which evolution occurs is called natural selection. Natural selection works by selecting members of a species who have beneficil traits and allowing them better success at breeding. Aquiring beneficial traits requires a lot of breeding and also depends on the natural rate at which organism mutate. Therefore if you kill off a species, they don't get a chance to evole. And nature will not adapt. And nature does not adapt to major changes in the environment in just a few days. What kind of moron idea is that? Therefore if you change the environment faster than nature can adapt, guess what? It won't adapt.

Originally posted by steampunk
- The WWF. They work to prevent trade, poaching of endangered species, protect and restore rain forests etc ....

Weird...
Never knew wrestlers were an endangered species. Not that I'd mind if they were hunted into extinction...
*snicker*

Seriously, I do find it extremely odd that two such disparate organizations could have the acronym WWF.

Originally posted by steampunk

- Don't give shit to environmentalists. They're the only thing stopping us from having to live on a shit hole planet.

There are some good environmentalists out there. There are also the scorched earth types that are rather fanatical in their environmentalism and won't settle for anything less than unconditional surrender when they set off on a crusade. Finally, there are the eco-terrorists who are really screwed up.

The latter two groups are the ones who tend to get all the press.

Originally posted by junior
Weird...
Never knew wrestlers were an endangered species. Not that I'd mind if they were hunted into extinction...
*snicker*

Seriously, I do find it extremely odd that two such disparate organizations could have the acronym WWF.

I'm sure you know, but I'll just clear this up a little.

WWF: World Wilelife Fund.
WWF: World Wrestling Federation

Last year, the World Wildlife Fund won a court case for the other WWF to change their name, and are now known as World Wrestling Entertainment.

Originally posted by junior
There are some good environmentalists out there. There are also the scorched earth types that are rather fanatical in their environmentalism and won't settle for anything less than unconditional surrender when they set off on a crusade. Finally, there are the eco-terrorists who are really screwed up.

The latter two groups are the ones who tend to get all the press.

Yup. Anne Lang and John Brightling types. The Australian Greens. Extreme left wing political groups and people tagged as the mob and hippies.

Back