Destroying the Vesuvius's turrets in WCIV

I'm in Mission 36 (I used the cheat code) and I'm playing on the Sony PlayStation. Is it possible to destroy the Vesuvius using conventional weapons? I'm trying to see that's possible. I'm using an Avenger. I've managed to batter down the shields of the Vesuvius using the stormfire and now I'm striking the armor but nothing happens. I've launched all my torps at the Vesuvius and nothing happens. How much damage do I have to do?

The Vesuvius is invulnerable until the mission when you're specifically ordered to destroy it.

In Mission 36, I use my fighter to ram the Vesuvius and it gets destroyed that way. But when I play the mission again, conventional weapons don't seem to do anything.

Joshua said:
In Mission 36, I use my fighter to ram the Vesuvius and it gets destroyed that way. But when I play the mission again, conventional weapons don't seem to do anything.

Conventional weapons, unless used from INSIDE its flight bay, do very little to the Vesuvius due to its increased shielding and armor. If you ram it while you're invincible, that may SLOWLY kill it, though being honest, the full torpedo or dumbfire salvos fired within the launch bay method is about the only sure method to finish the ship off, short of a flashpak. It's definitely the only way to kill it without cheating.

Well having a super invincible carrier that is easily destroyed does kind of defeat the definition of Super Carrier though lol.

In the novel The Price of Freedom, it states how that a frigate was destroyed by the Vesuvius's main battery and how that there are secondary batteries. In the game The Price of Freedom, there is no main battery on the Vesuvius, there's only turrets.

Bandit, with your impressive knowledge of all things WC and your impressive tactical knowledge, I would never think I would hear you call something "spikey things"

Almost lets me believe you are just one of us j/k lol

Sure he does.

Lt. B.J.: "Captain! The enemy cruiser is right in front of us"

Cap. LOAF: "Good! Fire spikey things NOW!"

Lt. B.J.: "That was impressive tactical knowledge, sire!"

You would think they would be mounted on the "spikey thingies" (god I can believe I just used that), for better firing arc, it usually isn't a good idea to have a gun that can only shoot in one arc when you are that large. Unless you are the space battleship Yamato, or SDF-1, but they have a slight firepower edge lol.

You learn that lesson pretty fast playing Homeworld. The Ion Cannon Frigates are pretty powerfull, but completely defenceless against fighters. The Ions work a lot better as turrets in Destroyers and Battlecruisers.

And you never see it fire during missions, which is kinda sad, because I'd love to watch an enemy fighter accidentally get ended because he was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

With our luck, lot's of players would end up being caught in the beams. That happened with other weapons... let alone with the almighty spiked things.

Back