Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

@gevatter Lars yeah, the movie designs have way more in common with Free/Star Lancer than Wing Commander. Ye olde Digital Anvil and all. The WCM broadsword is almost a carbon copy of the StarLancer Hades bomber. That said, I don't hate too much on the WCM Kilrathi ships, they look alien enough - certainly they are better than the Rapier .

I jokingly thought it would be funny to render WCM assets as sprites for wc1. But there aren't enough fighters.

Well with Howie having just launched a commercial title that's not too surprising, I am sure Wing Leader will be back soon kicking ass at a pace we can't match.

Yeah, of course. My comment was just that there's no need to hold back and give "breathing space" to a project that hasn't posted an update in two months. :)

We are trucking along; there is just a *huge* amount of boring groundwork to lay.

Boring is relative. Troubleshooting arcane technical glitches might not be the most interesting news, but it could be more engaging than the alternative available to us on any given day. And regardless of the specific content of any update, there's value in a steady stream of news so people know there's still stuff going on (which ties back to the prior point, which is why we post news every single day... sometimes big, sometimes small).

Anyway I chose to tackle a ship in the category of "Things that get little to no love" in the Wing Commander Universe: The WCM Snakeir. After knocking around on this one for about a week I've come to appreciate it a bit more. The movie FX shots are so dark that you can't really get a good appreciation for the ship's aesthetic. It's still not my favorite, but I think it gets a bum wrap by-in-large. Anyway that's my thoughts on it, you're free to comment below if you feel otherwise. :)
Pretty neat. Apart from just re-creating the WCM Snakeir, there's two interesting angles you could take with this ship. One, would be to modify it in such a way that it looks more appropriate to WC1. The other would be to modify it instead to fit the angular aesthetics of WC3. Both would be really cool to see, I think.

WC3 also had a lot of asymetry in the Kilrathi designs. I think it could be a bit hard to work that in. WC 1+2 should be more fitting I think.

I finally got around to texturing my Wildcat model. I like how it turned out, although it looks like if you try and anime-style a Hellcat, you get a Super Rapier. :) Still though, it was fun little exercise. I went with the WC1 style paint, but I may revise it and go for a more 60's style raw aluminum look, it makes the heat distressed panels around the engines look a bit less jarring. But given the lore that the engines on a Wildcat are old, inefficient, and due an upgrade, I figured I'd channel the Super Saber and make it look like the techs just gave up painting the housings because they have to pull the engines so often and that the waste heat keeps peeling off the paint.

Enjoy fellow wingnuts C&C as always is welcome.

Wildcat_Fin1.jpg

Wildcat_Fin4.jpg

Wildcat_Fin2.jpg
Wildcat_Fin5.jpg

Wildcat_Fin6.jpg

Wildcat_Fin3.jpg

IIRC the Wildcat even predates WC1 and was used during the Pilgrim war? Not quite sure but pretty certain its an quite old fighter that was mentioned in the novels or TV series but never shown.

The Wildcat was featured prominently in Wing Commander Action Stations, which primarily takes place in 2634. It was about thirty years old at that point.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 12.28.12 PM.png

Speed modeling practice. I spend alot of time on conference calls...alot. Quarantine is good for sneaking in some multitasking. In honor of all the recent fun around finding Academy on Peacock, I figured I'd try a few WCA meshes for fun. I set timers for 4 hrs for each of these meshes (though I cheated on the 'Claw and rather than start completely from scratch when I borked it, I just reverted to a previous save and started from there). Naughty Defiance! Naughty! :) Anyway - When I get around to it I might whip up some toon shaders and texture them. Until then, enjoy and as always C&C is welcome.

First - The Universal Kilrathi Capship:

Ralar1.pngRalar2.pngRalar4.pngRalar5.png

It's a corvette, a destroyer, a carrier, and a battleship all in one! What can't it do? Stand up to a few Scimitars I guess... :p

Speaking of:

WCA_SCim2.pngWCA_SCim1.pngWCA_SCim3.pngWCA_SCim5.png

I think the WCA Scim is probably the best version of it out there. The original is fun but the WCA streamlined it to make it look like less of a space potato.

And of course - the WCA Bengal which is so odd. It looks a bit like a pre-dreadnought era battleship with some wings on it. Yet it kinda grows on you.

WCA_Beng2.pngWCA_Beng3.pngWCA_Beng4.pngWCA_Beng6.pngWCA_Beng7.png

*****Update*****

Ok so I spent some time devising a proper 90's style toon shader with some pencil lines. I'm oddly pleased with the results:

Toon3.png

Toon4.png

Last edited:
Nice shading - I really thought I was seeing a still from the cartoon at first glance - but I'm not sure if the blurring on the Scims conveys movement enough. One interpretation could simply be that the focus is supposed to be on the carrier rather than the fighters.

Nice shading - I really thought I was seeing a still from the cartoon at first glance - but I'm not sure if the blurring on the Scims conveys movement enough. One interpretation could simply be that the focus is supposed to be on the carrier rather than the fighters.
Thanks - yeah I removed the blur from the ultra-wide version. I originally had a zoom blur on the claw which did more to convey the motion of the scims away from the carrier, but it also hurt your eyes as a desktop background :)

👍 OUTSTANDING work DefianceIndustries!!! 👍

It has a certain Tintin like ligne claire feel to it. From Herge's Flight 714 to Sydney, the Carreidas 160:
7skvwot8tkez.jpg

Herge's moon rocket from Destination Moon:
DestinationMoonInterior.jpg

Last edited:
Back