Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

So I was looking over my stuff on lunch break the other day and realized that I hadn't done any WC3 skins for my Tbolt or Excalibur. I am pleased to say this has been rectified. I also did a few small tweaks to the normal maps to make a few things pop (pun intended) that wasn't as obvious before.

As a side note: a few folks have asked if they can use my renders in their personal projects. My thoughts on that in general are that if I post it up here on the forums the community is perfectly welcome to them. Go forth and be creative! I only ask that if you do use my renders I get a nod somewhere in the credits is all.

As always fellow wing nuts - enjoy!

WC3_Tbolt2.png
WC3_Excal1.png

WC3_Tbolt1.pngWC3_Excal3.pngWC3_Excal4.png

Yeah, it's a lovely Excalibur. Of course, the Excalibur always had it easy - as the only not-ugly ship in WC3, it wins any WC3 beauty contest by default.

Yeah, it's a lovely Excalibur. Of course, the Excalibur always had it easy - as the only not-ugly ship in WC3, it wins any WC3 beauty contest by default.

With all due respect Arrow is a very attractive ship. Except, if you are not counting it because it comes from Armada. And the Dralthi IV and Vaktoth have character, if you ask me.

I was always a fan of the T-bolt myself. Yeah it's kinda ugly, but it's supposed to be ugly. Again I also have a fondness for the Vindicator, so my taste might be considered suspect.

I like the Thunderbolt VII in WC3 a lot. Missiles, good guns, Torpedo and even a back turret.

But my all time favorite is the Sabre.

With all due respect Arrow is a very attractive ship. Except, if you are not counting it because it comes from Armada. And the Dralthi IV and Vaktoth have character, if you ask me.
Well, with regards to the Kilrathi ships you and @Pedro mentioned, I suppose I should have specified - I mean Confed ships :). Kilrathi ships in WC3 generally looked fine, and in some ways, the new, polygon-based visual style even surpassed their sprite-based predecessors. I didn't like their capships, but the sharp, angular and asymmetric look was great for the fighters. So much so, that I'd actually love to see someone attempt to re-imagine the WC1-2 Kilrathi fighters in WC3-style (of course, I'd equally love someone to re-imagine WC3 Kilrathi fighters with some of the roundness of WC1-2 fighters restored, as obviously the extreme use of sharp angles and straight lines was dictated by a desire for low poly-counts).

And yeah, I didn't really think of the Arrow. Funny thing, I wasn't consciously trying to discount it based on its origins, but I guess at a subconscious level, something like that must have happened: I just didn't consider it a WC3 ship. The Arrow does look nice, though I can't say I love it - compared to the likes of the Ferret and Epee, the Arrow is very, hmm, prosaic. One way or the other, the Excalibur would still win that beauty contest.

The funny thing with the Excalibur is that it's basically a Hellcat with a pair of vertical stabilisers (or winglets, or whatever) tacked on to the end of its wings, and slightly more pronounced divisions between the hull and the main wings. How little does it take for the crudest and ugliest WC3 ship to turn into the prettiest...

Well, I'm glad you forgive me not liking the Hellcat, as frankly, I don't know if I could forgive myself if I did like it :D.

I like the Hellcat with its WCIV color scheme, really not fond of the WC3 one. I know it's a minor thing.

I never really much minded the Scimitar. It was tougher than the Hornet, which seems like a step up. The only thing I didn't like was how the front armor doesn't display on the indicator.

I never really much minded the Scimitar. It was tougher than the Hornet, which seems like a step up. The only thing I didn't like was how the front armor doesn't display on the indicator.

I thought the Scimitar had the most useful gun armament of any WC1 fighter. You could just lay on the Mass Drivers and it would take a while for the capacitor to deplete. And for most Kilrathi ships, five to six direct MD hits was enough. She did have the slowest top speed but if you mastered the afterburner kick, that never really ended up being an issue. The only mission that you had to be careful on using that technique was BiFrost 2 in SM1, which was the equivalent of running Venice 4, except in the Scimitar. There are so many enemies that you risk burning through all of your AB fuel before the last navpoint. I remember that I used to intentionally fly the nav route in reverse, taking out the Supply Depot with 4 Jalthi and 5 Gratha at Nav 3 first. The remaining enemies are 3 Salthi and 4 Krant which are normally easy enough to handle even if you're nearly empty on AB fuel.

Back