Dallas system?

I guess Dallas is too much effort to bother with, but I meant would it be possible to allow players to fly there manually, given that Hopper drives allow access to Dallas. Even if it did take eternity. :)

Well, the problem is that in EV and EV Override, to go to a system you have to jump... Trying to go to another system manually will result in the "rubber-band" effect where your ship hits that invisible wall that sends you back... it's really funny though haha

Originally posted by Wedge009
I guess Dallas is too much effort to bother with, but I meant would it be possible to allow players to fly there manually, given that Hopper drives allow access to Dallas. Even if it did take eternity. :)

Unless they used the newer one.

Originally posted by Maniac_Angel
I don't see the point of it... you can't even see it if it's not connected to an explored system... even with a "galactic map" outfit item... that goes according to system jumps... without any connections, the Dallas system would remain hidden... no one would even know it's there.

Just because you can't jump to it doesn't mean people don't know about it. You can see other stars so you could see other systems. Plus, as everyone keeps saying, you could get to it with a Hopper drive.

As I mentioned before, the game Escape Velocity and it's sequels do NOT support alternate forms of interstellar travel. If you can't go to the system the by means of a jump point then the system will not be shown by the game in the map window.

Here's a note to clarify, an example.

You start in the Sol system, the 4 connected systems are viewable as though you've been there before. all the systems directly connected to those 4 systems are also shown but no name is there and instead of a colored circle to represent it, instead it is dark grey wich indicates unexplored. Systems connected to unexplored systems are not shown until you enter that unexplored system in wich case the systems connected to that system are now the unexplored systems. Since Dallas is not connected to the main group of systems, this type of exlporation/identification would be impossible with this game's current limitations. Therefore, the Dallas system (though it would be there dispite never being visible or reachable) would simply cause problems as most mission in the game are made with "goto any system belonging to government ..." and things like that... get a mission that leads to Dallas and you can't complete it though the mission arrow will locate Dallas for you, it won't explore it for you.

Since there´s no jump point, you may have to fly it in the "conventional" way, just point your ship to the Dallas star and fly until you get there.

I´m afraid it´s just another newbie bait (damn american slangs) but I´ll dare to ask: What is the Hopper drive?

Just to clairify for Maniac_Angel. While you think people are talking about the possible application for your Escape Velocity project, other people have moved on to discuss the practicality of visiting Dallas in "real" life.

Originally posted by Meson
Unless they used the newer one.
I meant flying manually, for the sake of the EV project. But there were two Hopper drives? Is this the 'Morvan' drive? Too many names. Like this one:
Originally posted by Ghost
It´s the *engine* that was used before the Jump drive, it's very slow and relatively old
Akwende jump drive. There's an old Jump FAQ written a long time ago - LOAF made a new one, but I can't remember where it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant flying manually, for the sake of the EV project. But there were two Hopper drives? Is this the 'Morvan' drive? Too many names.

I assume he's referring to the Pilgrim's modified hopper drive. It's the one that can do fun things like, theoretically, destroy a planet by creating a huge gravity well. This is just a modified Morvan drive.

Like this one:Akwende jump drive.

That's just jump drive.

I was giving it the formal name to distinguish it from the Hopper drives, which could be, to some degree, be considered 'jump' drives, couldn't they?

I was giving it the formal name to distinguish it from the Hopper drives, which could be, to some degree, be considered 'jump' drives, couldn't they?

Eh, you'd quoted a bit speaking about hopper drive, and then seemed to refer to it by the name Akwende jump drive, which isn't right... Hopper Drive isn't really in the same catagory as jump drive, and use rather different methods to gain travel (though some of the same basic concepts hold true)

Gah, now I'm really confused. Where's LOAF's jump FAQ? I have it home but...

So Akwende is the formal name given to the common jump drive used in the WC games. Hopper/Morvan, etc came before the Akwende drive. How many types/versions/whatever of these/this drive(s) where there?

The Jump Drive works by temporarily opening naturally occuring wormholes that connect nearby stars to each other. Presumably, these wormholes are a natural byproduct of the way that massive objects bend space around themselves under General Relativity. Passing through one of these wormholes (commonly called Jump Points), is virtually instant, allowing one to cross several light-years (or an entire sector as is the case with the Enigma Black Hole) in a moment, but one can only travel to a system if one goes to a preexisting Jump Point that leads there. Of all known races, only the Steltek are capable of generating new jump points at any time and place, although the Nephilim wormholes can produce a similar effect in places where the conditions are favorable.

The Hopper Drive, by contrast, creates short-distance single-use wormholes through which a ship can travel. The wormholes can be generated to take a ship in any direction, which allows faster-than-light travel to areas far distant from Jump Points, but this type of engine has two drawbacks. First, the distance for a "hop" is fixed by the engine--you cannot choose to hop over a shorter than normal distance to get the drop on an enemy, for example--you must instead hop as close as possible and then spend hours cruising toward the target under normal drive. The second drawback is that the Hopper Drive leaves residual radiation when it is used, so it cannot be engaged again until the radiation has disappated, which can take a couple of hours. Thus, the Hopper Drive cannot be counted on to allow you to hop away from an enemy if you have just used it recently.

What then, prevents a ship from having both types of drives, and using them when needed? I could imagine Confed SO using Hoppers to attack Kilrathi Rear-guard units in systems without direct jumps to Confed Systems if this was possible...

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-
What then, prevents a ship from having both types of drives, and using them when needed? I could imagine Confed SO using Hoppers to attack Kilrathi Rear-guard units in systems without direct jumps to Confed Systems if this was possible...

I would imagine that the Hopper drive would be too slow to do that with, I think by the time any ships using that drive would get into the back systems of the Kilrathi the mission they were being sent on could be completely useless seeing as how situations could change so rapidly

Until LOAF puts his Jump FAQ back up, I'm leaving my copy of his work here. Um, I did make some small spelling/grammar corrections, and unless you have the OCR A Extended font, it could look ugly - just change the text to Courier or some other proportional font.

Back