Dallas system?

Yeah, I keep it really really well hidden. Only the most absolute half a second search for "JUMP FAQ" in the search box could possibly find it. :)

Okay, okay, I meant it wasn't listed along with the rest of the articles. BTW, I think the FAQ is pretty much fine as it is.

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-
What then, prevents a ship from having both types of drives, and using them when needed? I could imagine Confed SO using Hoppers to attack Kilrathi Rear-guard units in systems without direct jumps to Confed Systems if this was possible...

Probably power or size constraints are the problem--either you can't fit them together in a ship and still leave space/weight for all the other stuff, or else they would require too much power. Alternatively, the two types of engines might conflict with each other in some way--maybe the radiation created by the Hopper Drive inhibits use of the Jump Drive during the cooldown period, meaning you can't Jump OR Hop for a couple of hours after a Hop.

I'd probably agree that I'd assume there would be power constraints. Although that radiation theory was one I wouldn't have thought of too. Good work!

Have you thought of using a Quasar to jump to the Dallas System ( and I know they don't show the stars in the system and if they did you couldn't jump so don't tell me that because I have EV, EV Override, and EV Nova [yeah that's right Windows fans I have a Mac])? Also you wouldn't get there via jump (its not on the maps)!

:p

Originally posted by Chris Blair
Have you thought of using a Quasar to jump to the Dallas System ( and I know they don't show the stars in the system and if they did you couldn't jump so don't tell me that because I have EV, EV Override, and EV Nova [yeah that's right Windows fans I have a Mac])? Also you wouldn't get there via jump (its not on the maps)!

A Quasar? Don't you mean a Pulsar? There are NO Quasars in our galaxy, OR in any other galaxy closer than about 500 million light years away (about 15 thousand times the diameter of our galaxy). The Charybdis Quasar in the movie was just somebody wanting to use the word "quasar" cause they thought it was cool. If there WAS a Quasar in our galaxy, it would be putting out more radiation than the rest of the galaxy put together.

There are things call microquasars, which do exist in our galaxy, that could easily be what the quasars meantioned in WC could be. They would work since most microquasars are black holes.

Originally posted by Ijuin

The Charybdis Quasar in the movie was just somebody wanting to use the word "quasar" cause they thought it was cool.

... or following the fact that there was a quasar in WC3.

After doing some research I found that the Dallas system is on the map in the Avalon Sector. Even though there is no jump point to the Dallas system maybe you can make your on to the Dallas system from a near by system, Delta Prime in the Gemini Sector.

We all know that, though... except for the fact that there is a jump to the Dallas system... it's just inside the Dallas system (hence why the line goes back in)

Well there has to be a jump to the Dallas System, it is a colony of the Terran Confederation.
It is a colony of the Terran Confederation, but there is no jump line to the Dallas system. One needs to use a 'hopper' drive (the predecessor to the current jump system) to reach there.

And what sytem was that quasar at?
The Loki system.

Back