CZ Admin Stuff (or: The Way Life Should Be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't spend all my time antagonizing the admins (just most of it :D) but you have to admit, whether it's intentional or not, that some of them seem to activly ask for it. All that does for me is deepen my conspiracy theories and make me even more paranoid (than I already am ^_^).

My way of dealing with things? Read TyeDyeBoy's sig, never take things personally, and always assume they're blaming the guy behind you. :) I always come back to the board - just when I think everything's gone down the toilet, things like this come around, and I'm thankful for it.

And if you're reading this, gryphon, I'm talking to YOU. ^_~

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...please, please don’t demonise the admins – people like Death and Kris are doing their jobs voluntarily, and it really doesn’t help them if you treat them meanly... you may not agree with how they’re working, but please respect it...

I’m lifting the ban on commenting on CZ policy for this thread only...
BTW, while I do respect the admins and their actions (sometimes even grateful for it), I do feel occasionally that their corrections are unneccessarily hard. Ever since Quarto's... dismissal, I feel that the CZ has become a less friendly place. Of course, Q is not exactly enthusiastic to return to mod duties (and reasonably so!), but being able to make judgments and corrections in a neutral and understanding viewpoint is very difficult - and even more difficult to convey, given our medium of communication.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Maybe someone could explain that to me...

Governing this webboard can be more dificult to do than being the president of the United States.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
I think, if people would just read the rules when they first signed up, we wouldn't have such a big problem. Must newbies just sign up and start posting without reading anything, and then you get all the stuff that the cz doesn't need. Maybe, once someone signs up, the site should automatically send them to the rules page, and then to the CZ, that way, they will have to at least glance at the rules, before they post.

Before anyone can even enter in account information, they need to read and agree to the rules before continuing. That some people chose to ignore them, or don't bother reading, is not an excuse. In addition to needing to agree to them to get an account, there are links on just about every single page to the rules, which conveniently open in another browser window so you don't even lose your place.

I can't speak for any of the other administrative staff, but personally I find it somewhat annoying when people go off in their own little world, and if called on it say "I didn't know" or somesuch. We of the CIC didn't make those rules up on a whim, for no real reason. We didn't have a week's worth of discussion on the wording of those rules just for the sake of a useless waste of time. When someone claims that they didn't pay attention, it makes me more inclined to think negatively about them, just for the simple fact that most people don't care for being ignored; contrary to popular belief, I am human, up to and including the point of being subject to human nature.

If I were the only one whose word was law, here, the first warning would be at sign-up, the first offense would result in one warning, and another of that offense would result in a permanent ban, being the third strike (to borrow from sports vernacular). I'm not the only one, of course, and I realize that such a policy would result in more of a headache than really necessary, for all involved.

And, for the record, in regards to appearing to swoop in at random intervals and start smacking people, we do read this board, but there is only one of each of us, and only so much data per minute that will fit on a ine. Administration of this board is not the sole task for any administrator, for every minute awake. Most of us, contrary to what some may joke about, have lives. (I don't, but that's another issue).

Originally posted by $tormin, to TyeDyeBoy
and you sir are an idiot :p

That comment was entirely uncalled for, Stormin.

Please reread the rules for this board before continuing, particularly rule #5. The smiley after your comment doesn't negate the comment.

(See, I can be nice. No one died. :p )

thus saith the loaf :)

actually though i dont see death posting that much, but then i dont read all the posts, just the ones i think are interesting :)

Sure, sometimes I’ve privately wondered if an Admin should have closed a particular thread or disciplined a given poster. But what else is new? From time to time I’m sure each of us have questioned the decision a respective “authority figure” (from parent to teacher to boss to mayor to judge, etc.) has made. That’s just life.

But to whatever extent I’ve occasionally felt my eyebrows rise when visiting the CIC and Zone, any concerns have been far outweighed by the simple fact that this site is a truly generous gift to those who enjoy WC. There has to be a lot of hard work, and much of it unfairly understated and/or unrecognized, that goes into maintaining this site. And sadly, it is often all too easy (being another aspect of life generally) for those of us “on the outside” to take what is a wonderfully diverse and quite professional end product for granted.

In my view, the Admins and others who work to enrich and sustain this site deserve no end of praise, not to mention great respect, for what they have given the rest of us. (A windfall really.) Hats off to them, one and all!

I never liked authorities!Therefore i don't like admins.
But as long as they are fair i've got no problem with them.
I just don't like admins who close threads because they have a different opinion.(Compliment for loaf you didn't like my shipnames but you didn't close the thread that is what i think is the right way to act as an admin.)

[Edited by Cadfael on 05-25-2001 at 09:15]

Do you know why we need authorities?

Why do people dislike authority? It is because authority is meant to limit the movement or freedom of a person.
The reason is simple: so the freedom of the rest are respected and treated well.

Imagine this: A guy likes to drink beer. He drinks beer a lot although he doesn't get drunk from it... or neither is he an alcoholic. He just like to drink beer.
One day, he meets a guy who has a distaste for people drinking alcohols... all kinds of alcohols. This second guy is just different...
...but they both love, play and enjoy Wing Commander.

If you were the first guy, would you keep on drinking beer all the time in front of the second? To the second guy's mind: I tend to dislike alcoholics, because alcohols can cause drunkness and many auto accidents were caused by drunken drivers.
Two choices:
1. Drink beer in other places, but not in front of the second guy in order to preserve their friendship...
-or-
2. Persist on drinking beer in front of the second guy till the second guy starts to hate you... and risk your friendship.

Think!!!

-- Catscratch once asked Blair.
"Sir, all my life I wanted to fight the Kilrathi. But now we're helping them. I don't get it?"
Blair thought for a moment, and replied.
"You see Catscratch, the differences between a warrior and a killer is that a warrior fights only when provoked. What makes a warrior human, is that he helps those who are in need (pause), no matter who, or what they are."
Days later Panther helped Catscracth understand Blair's word.
---
Thus, said the Heart of the Tiger.

Curses! I wish I was closer to you guys! I'd say there was a WC Party in Connecticut but only one of my other friends is a WC nut like me.

I'll be on #Wingnut by the aniversary though, and I might even have something to give the CIC on her birthday! ;)

For my part, I would encourage the Admins to take a more
active role in the discussions on the CZ as posters.

It seems to me that, among the admins, there are some that are very active participants and there are some who seeminglyonly post when they are 1) Closing a thread or 2) Warning someone to behave themselves.

That IS the admin's job, and I'm grateful that they
perform it ... nonetheless when the only time a person
posts is when administrative matters are at stake the
impression is of a certain coldness. Non-administrative
participation would make the necessary administrative
actions more palatable, as the admin comes across more as a human being and less as a police officer. An analogy:

If CZ is a bar, c'mon in off-duty and have a drink once
in a while!

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Do with it what you will.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rules weren't made to be broken

But the rules have been broken by quite a few people.

My first experience with a messageboard was at Rocket Town (http://fly.to/rockettown). I was (and I still am) a big Final Fantasy fan. I let my mouth run loose. I was banned.
For some reason, I didn't want it to happen again. The sole admin of the board kind of chewed me out, something not easy to do with mere words on a computer screen.

I first visited the CIC three wrestling seasons ago, waiting out the time before the match in the library. At the time, I was looking for some help with Wing Commander 4. It came up on the Altavista search engine, and I clicked it. Most sites like this-by fans, for fans-don't have much help for the first timer. I know Rocket Town didn't.

The CIC did. It actually had the Alt-O code...and no, I didn't know about it, considering I hadn't read the manual, I had gotten the game as a gift the day before and I, well, used to get cheats for video games before I played them (I don't do that anymore, mind you...)

Recently, about, what? Nearly three months ago, I came back to the CIC. I discovered the Chat Zones this time around, and after a few days of surfing it, I registered (and went through a harrying hour or so, smacking the computer to make my e-mail system NOT put registration site on multiple lines...took me a while, but I got around it...). First thing I did? Read the damn rules.

I still let my mouth run away sometimes, and I say some pretty dumb things. But I didn't want to get banned here. If I have a complaint about LOAF or about a decision he made, I go ask him in #Wingnut. That's what the rules specify. But the first post I POSTED on broke the rules...we were talking about flight recorders, and I mentioned the flight recorders in X-Wing. Blair's death has been mentioned several times, even in the (relatively) short time I've been here. There's been references to illegal activities (like stealing library books) as well as numerous references to other space combat games and other games in general, as well as about 10 kajillion silly posts. In fact, there was a hint of a little harassment of gryphon (the guys in #Wingnut know exactly what I'm talking about), when we should have just said that he wasn't breaking the rules, he wasn't doing anything wrong. No one did. There's also been a good bit of abusive language...

One of the first things I was told...by TyeDyeBoy, I believe...was that I shouldn't reduce my posts to one-worders. I've tried to keep my word count high, at least. Quality over Quantity. Hey, I've tried...the vast majority of my posts are about a paragraph. And I don't criticize the admins and mods...other than some good-natured ribbing I did a while back, that is.

What's the point? I don't know. Bend the rules, but let's not break them...and I hope that that statement includes the admins and mods as well (though it's their decision...but if they don't set an example to the new guys, then, who will?). Let's not have any outright harassment, at least...and I'm not saying there was any before.

The admins seem to be closing a lot of threads lately. Perhaps that's just a reaction to this new development...I can't say. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance...let's make sure they don't let their guard down.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Bend the rules, but let's not break them...
We allow rules to be bent all the time. Mostly with regard to 6 and 7 (off-topic discussions and signatures). Other rules, like no VS threads and no warez, have to be enforced strictly. For all our sakes.
The admins seem to be closing a lot of threads lately. Perhaps that's just a reaction to this new development...I can't say. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance...let's make sure they don't let their guard down.
If a lot of threads are being closed, that means people are starting a lot of threads that have to be closed. You've been around for a while, you know that until a few days ago the Chat Zone was calm and fun. The recent troubles were caused by a small number of posters who couldn't handle the liberty of bending the rules.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Then you're invited to the CIC birthday in Atlanta...:)

Maybe the CIC should netcast the party for those who wish to attend but cant charter a lear jet in time! ;) Id fly there myself, but my instructor will be using his lear at that time!

RFB

Well my only gripe with CZ policy is the policy on banning, I think that it should be used less often, and that more importantly if the banning should be lifted, the person should return to their original post count! Ok well that only truely applys in my position but whatever.

I have a sugestion too, I sgest that ranks should be based on the admins deciding that a specific person has expressed certain characteristics of a higher ranking person rather than post count.

Originally posted by Napoleon
Well my only gripe with CZ policy is the policy on banning, I think that it should be used less often, and that more importantly if the banning should be lifted, the person should return to their original post count! Ok well that only truely applys in my position but whatever.
I don't think more than 5 unique people are banned at this point. The resetting of the postcount is a fairly new practice. AFAIK it's only been done twice so far.
I have a sugestion too, I sgest that ranks should be based on the admins deciding that a specific person has expressed certain characteristics of a higher ranking person rather than post count.
There are far too many members to keep track. And we do have ranks based on characteristics ; Phoenix, WildFire, and TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back