CZ Admin Stuff (or: The Way Life Should Be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Howdy guys,

The CZ was a big mess last night -- I'm sorry I couldn't deal with it then, but I had an… interesting… evening involving car crashes and stealing brochures. Anyway, I thought it might be good to just post straight out how this should all work…

First-off, closing threads – closing a thread is generally not done out of any malice for the participants of said thread… it’s simply because the thread has either run its course, or it’s preparing to get into a completely unrelated slapfight. You know how threads will eventually end up being two people just sort of nodding at each other over and over? Nobody really believes that they’re trying to increase their postcount – but it’s annoying to everyone not involved. It’s just healthy for the CZ to start new threads every once in a while… so, in short, threads are not closed because anybody is mad at anybody else.

Secondly, I’d like to address the “IRC-clique” – the CZ posters who hang out in #WingNut. Yes, the running joke is that CZ topics are all stupid and so forth – but that’s the running joke because it’s an easy joke to make, not because you should go harass people at the Chat Zone. The Chat Zone is for talking about things pleasantly, not for showing how good you are at insulting people. I know you IRC guys often mean well – you’ve posted lots of helpful things, just like anybody else… but there’s a significant increase in fights and such when you people decide to get involved. So from here on out, despite the fact that I love most of y’all like family, I’m going to have to treat you like all the other posters…

Thirdly, to the other posts… please, please don’t demonize the admins – people like Death and Kris are doing their jobs voluntarily, and it really doesn’t help them if you treat them meanly… you may not agree with how they’re working, but please respect it – because making us admins angry just makes us want to take moderating more personally – and that’s not a good thing.

I’d also like to apologize to gryphon, regardless of whether he’s here or not. He was an intelligent and articulate poster who added a lot to the board (despite the fact that he’d only been here for a few days) – he will be missed, he’s welcome to return at any time, and I really feel badly that a few bad apples ruined the CZ for him.

I’m lifting the ban on commenting on CZ policy for this thread only – my personal opinion is that anyone who worries about CZ policy needs less free time… but you’re all welcome to make suggestions, post your opinions and such – no flames, please.

Thanks.

Gyph left? What over?

Anyway, LOAF, I find certain Administrators seem to appear only to distribute bad news or to close threads. I won't name names, since everyone who reads this post knows who they are. No, not you LOAF, ;)

Still, the fact that Adm pops up and just does whatever their whim is, is slightly demoralizing to the rest of the CZers. I understand that's what a person in their position is suppose to do, but they certainly don't go about it like you or Ace do. Sure, Ace and me argue a hell of a lot on the CZ, but at least he (usually) posts regualarly...Or he just posts when I do to piss me off. :)

Still, there are others that pop their heads in and work that "Administrative Magic" that tends to look unfair and rather facist.

I'm not attack anyone by name since these people I'm slandering also happen to be people and it takes all kinds, as it's said. Still, a little more gentleness and a little less power-hungry Republicanism please.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHh great, now we're going into politics :)

gryhpon left because he took things WAY too seriously... :)()

Jeez, I didnt even see Gryph's Good-bye. Where is it?

Still, the fact that Adm pops up and just does whatever their whim is, is slightly demoralizing to the rest of the CZers.
Whatever our whim is? I challenge you find to find a single thread that wasn't closed because of a clear violation of the rules.

When things get out of hand (and a large number of threads were really going South last night - and I won't name anyone either), what do you expect us to do? Reply to half a dozen threads, asking to please be more sensible about posting? We've all tried that, and it doesn't work. The only way to get the point across (and without sanctions) is closing the threads in question.

Now, I'm sorry you can't have IRC-style discussions about the size of your pants or some other silliness, but we are limited in server space, load, and bandwidth. If we weren't, there'd be an off-topic forum of sorts where such topics would be allowed or even encouraged. If you want a fast-paced discussion, even off-topic, #wingnut is the place.

The Chat Zone requires a financial effort on our part, and the acceptance that the efforts we can make are not unlimited on the posters' part.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see how much bandwidth load bla bla bla etc etc etc, that CZ really has. I mean i t would be interesting to see these stats (if there is somewhere wich these stats are mentioned could you please tell me where?) maybe it would make useless posts lest likely? I dunno, im rather curious anyways.

i apoligise for anything i may have done.

btw. i tried getting on #wingnut and it didn't work. what is it? the Wingcommander version of ASVS?

Maybe it's because I'm new here and haven't had the chance to pester all of you with my outrageous opinions yet *grins*, but it would seem to me that the Admin. has a good reason for most of the stuff they do. Even IF one or two closed a thread for some reason you didn't like, that's the problem-we're not the admin. and don't get to make those choices. Besides, there's always the option of bringing topics back up if you were that interested in them. Or so it would seem to me at least.

?????

Just my luck, I always miss the fun! I have no idea what all this is about, and I dont think I will go searching the posts to learn what went on, but from what I am reading in this thread, it sounds like some excretion came into contact with the rotating oscillator! (shit hit the fan). Recently, I witnessed a few *harsh* response posts to some new members, posting where things shouldnt be posted. A result of not being familiar with the rules, which should be expected for the first few days until that new member gets the hang of where certian posts should go. To hammer down harshly on a new member because of a post being in the wrong area isnt exactly extending the welcome mat in a constructive manner.

I suppose managing such a site as this can be very stressfull. But out of it all, there is one flaw that should be corrected, and that is when there are new members posting things that should be in other areas of the CZ, perhaps a more friendly and constructive directions and guidance is warranted. To curse someone out because they posted in the wrong area and they are new to the CZ is not good PR.

In the aviation field, fellow pilots are more than happy to assist new aviators in understanding the "ropes", which would include not just the cockpit, but the regulations, the "standards and practices", helping that new pilot get to know his surroundings, and get to know the other veteran pilots who already are aware of all the "ropes". Never have I seen any new pilot anywhere get flammed for something that is so minor. I think this should be considered for new members. Or to put it in simpler terms, give them a break!

As for veterans of the CZ, you make your bed, you lie in it. You trash and bash others, expect to be trashed and banned! Treat others as you expect to be treated. All should remember that. The golden rule. He who hath not sinned cast the first stone! Cant we all just get along?! There is only one WC community, lets not destroy it, but build on it to make it bigger and better!

I am thankfull for this site, and its admins doing what they are doing to maintain it. But I think some patience is needed also, and an understanding that not everyone has the same amount of knowledge regarding WC. Lets share that knowledge in a friendly and courteous manner.

RFB

RFBURNS: Well said.

As RFB said, some members have shown a remarkable lack of patience when responding to posts from newbies. The only thing I can add to his post is that this also occurs with members that do not speak English as their primary language. We should remember this and not criticize someone for not using proper English grammar, punctuation, spelling, et al.

LOAF:
For the last few weeks some of the threads on this board have contained increasing amounts of inflammatory, mean-spirited, insulting, nasty, etc posts. Certain individuals seem to post solely to insult others and receive little more than a token reprimand (if anything). Your initial post has explained this and I'm glad you are addressing the problem. Thanks.

I think, if people would just read the rules when they first signed up, we wouldn't have such a big problem. Must newbies just sign up and start posting without reading anything, and then you get all the stuff that the cz doesn't need. Maybe, once someone signs up, the site should automatically send them to the rules page, and then to the CZ, that way, they will have to at least glance at the rules, before they post.

btw. i tried getting on #wingnut and it didn't work. what is it? the Wingcommander version of ASVS?

I'd answer you, but I don't know what ASVS is.

Anyway, where did you have a problem?

TC

I have to say that there seems to be a significant decrease in the number of senseless posts this morning. :)

Originally posted by TC

I'd answer you, but I don't know what ASVS is.

Anyway, where did you have a problem?

TC

ASVS is a somtimes annoying bunch of DOW's. once in a while they try to "invade" SB.COM, run away and declare victory.

the problem is that i click on the link but i cant get on. if its temperary than its probably nothing.

:edit:
nevermind. i just had missed one of the instructions

[Edited by $tormin on 05-24-2001 at 20:16]

"There is nothing wrong with your television, do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are in control of all you see and hear. We control the horizontal and the verticle. We can deluge you with a thousand images or expand a single image into crystal clarity."

We are... the #Wingnutillati.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back