Court marshal

Ripper said:
I would say that they are about $100.00, so that your 250,000 credit ship would cost a more realistic $25 million. Cost of a Gulfstream II is $20 million right now. The more I think about it, a credit should equal $100.00.

I believe Loaf was making the point that the WC "credit" is analogus to our modern-day dollar or Euro. I think a few centuries of inflation is implied, but there's no real way to determine the modern-day cost to a Privateer spaceship.

The problem is that credit is also used for smaller things - drinks, items in the Victory Streak classifieds, etc. So the 'credit could be equal to lots of money' thing doesn't pan out.

look at the planes to day they cost many millions DOLLARS, and thats much money, and the ship in wc1 cost 1. 000 000, you longer the war continue more expensiv is it to produce. unless they use "forced labour"

Wing Commander is far more analagous to World War II, though - where fighters were mass produced and were far cheaper ($50,000 to $200,000).

As more of something is built, the cheaper it gets - B-2s are so expensive because we only built something like twenty of them.

(Furthermore, the civilian ships in Privateer are far more analagous to cars or private boats than they are to top of the line fighter aircraft... they're unarmed when you buy them and they're far and away outclassed by the military fighters of 2669.)

Bandit LOAF said:
Wing Commander is far more analagous to World War II, though - where fighters were mass produced and were far cheaper ($50,000 to $200,000).

As more of something is built, the cheaper it gets - B-2s are so expensive because we only built something like twenty of them.

(Furthermore, the civilian ships in Privateer are far more analagous to cars or private boats than they are to top of the line fighter aircraft... they're unarmed when you buy them and they're far and away outclassed by the military fighters of 2669.)

You have a point there--economy improves with the scale of production.

As for the Centurion, I always thought of it as a civilian counterpart to the Rapier--sort of like how the Hummer is a civilian version of the HMV.

About the value of Confed credits: In Action Stations, Tolwyn notes that five hundred credits is a month's pay for a recent Academy graduate (rank O-1), and in The Price of Freedom, the bartender charges Blair 2.50 for the low-grade booze, and that was regarded as steep. Based on that, I would figure a credit to be worth two to four current US dollars.

Hey, credits aren't in any way related to US dollars in a conversion base... We're talking of 600 years of inflation!!!
Remember, 40 years ago 1 million dollars was a lot more money than it is today.

The correct term was used above, they are analogous to a dollar... Not EXACTLY the same. And the relation between prices of different things vary in different economical environments. WC is set in a decades long war in the middle-far future, where goods are produced in hundreds of different planets...

Certainly fighters are a lot cheaper in relation to consumer goods in 2660s than they are today. We cannot really go very far in this debate... too many variables...

economics aside had it been peacetime Flint would have done time in a military prison not much considering her daddy is a somone at Confed HQ but some time not to mention a dishonorable discharge

Deadeye79 said:
economics aside had it been peacetime Flint would have done time in a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=military&v=56">military</a> prison not much considering her daddy is a somone at Confed HQ but some <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> not to mention a dishonorable discharge

i guess she would do everthing to not let her father to know what she did if she had been put in front of a court, her father could probaly done something or had some friend s that could have done it a frienfdly jury or something....

ah jeez, some of these arguments are silly.

so many people assume inflation? compared to what? u know, they could have just had a depression and re-issued a new currency for all u know.

an alcoholic drink in the future doesnt necessarily have to be 100 bucks cos its the future.

for example, somewhere around 1929, the german currency was around 4.3 trillion DM to the USD. sure as hell isnt in that bad shape now.

as usual, loaf is dead on about ww2. each side was pumping them out at a huge rate, and prices greatly reduce with economies of scale. the idea to produce 'only' 100 f-22 raptors was thankfully scrapped, cos some bright spark relised that the US gov't were gunna get raped producing them in that low quantity. i dunno exactly how much ww2 figters cost on average, but when u consider that each country pumped out a stupid number in additon to other arms, they couldnt be that expensive. i think albert speer managed to get germany to produce somewhere around 9,000 planes in the final year of the war alone IIRC.

Your silly arguments do nothing to invalidate mine. Even if you ignore inflation, it is plain stupid to ask how many 2004 dollars is a 2670 credit worth, specially considering that the 666 years in-between were not developed by the authors of the fiction...

It is a lot more intelligent to use a "bigmac" standard. How much does a big mac cost in 2670? how many bigmacs is a fighter worth?

i guess she would do everthing to not let her father to know what she did if she had been put in front of a court, her father could probaly done something or had some friend s that could have done it a frienfdly jury or something....

I think her father died soon after her crazy cruiser assault.

i havent read the novel..... but if im not remember wrong she gets a halovid from her father after the kilrathi had jammed the comm on victory, but i dont remeber if that were before or after she did the "crazy crusier assault" (nice name by the way).

Briefing: to day were going to do a crazy crusier assault, lucky for me im not flyving to day- flight leader

I don't get that any of you actually *like* Flint, she always pisses me off and I try to avoid her as much as possible. Her attitude is bad. If I fly with Hobbes and Maniac coz they're my buddies, that's my problem, not hers. Flying with Maniac or Vagabond, who are actually good pilots, that's my decision, I'm the COLONEL!!! I always ground her butt and let the captain decide (Eisen seems to have the hots for her?)...

Rachel is the way to go. She even let's me joyride that Excalibur. I love her

I liked Flint. I liked Rachel. My only complaint with the babe situation is that they left out the realistic possibility of choosing both, and having a little sandwich action. MMMmmmmmmmmmmm......sandwich..

Back