Confed or Border Worlds

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...

There was a cutscene in SO where Excals and Thunderbolts were jumping into a system( i forget which one) as reinforcements under power of their own jump drives, so I don't think the Excal was that stripped down. Yeah maybe it lost a couple missiles but it still has four tachyons coupled with the ion cannons and that still makes for a serious arsenal.

don't remember that one, muh...must play wing commander, it has been to long (damn environmental building design, damn you to hell :D )

I'll agree, I don't think they were stripped down on their parts/powers-and I agree, the Dust Cannon was easily one of my favorite weapons, as it really could chew anything up.

Okay, so maybe the Wasp isn't quite *useless* without swarmers or booster pods. :D Still, its efficiency would probably be less than that of an Excal that mounts six guns and eight missiles, so the point stands.

Best, Raptor

I'll take a Black Wasp without swarmers over an Excalibur in a dogfight anyday and I think even the regular Wasp due to it's heavier protection and very good weapons would be an equal match.

Originally posted by Skyfire
I'll agree, I don't think they were stripped down on their parts/powers-and I agree, the Dust Cannon was easily one of my favorite weapons, as it really could chew anything up.

YES, finally someone who agrees with me.:D

The Wasp is a smaller fighter compared to the Excal, making it a harder target to hit. An expert pilot could be very troublesome to enemy pilots in a smaller craft.

Anyway, the Wasp and Excal are made for different types of missions so one would expect them to be manufactured differently.

i would choose the Border Worlds, i love the rough and tumble type feel of it, its laid back and more of a smaller raiding type fleet, i like that

I often find myself wondering if the UBW, now that they have Confed's friendship again, and are unified enough to produce enough resources-not to mention that they're larger than the Landreich to HAVE the resources, whether they will start making their own class of carriers. Not just converting older ships/transports into said carriers.

Well, it takes roughly ten years to build a shipyard and train the people who work in it, and five years to build a carrier in said yard. That means that if the BW didn't inheirit any shipyards when they choose to go it as an independent nation, they wouldn't have any carriers yet. OTH, if they did inheirit such yards, then they could concievably have some carriers by now, seeing as its been 8 to 9 years since TPOF.

Best, Raptor

Shipyards are not an absolute necessity though. The alternate method is to use foundry ships, which appears to be comparatively faster.

True, I had forgotten about those. If the BW had enough foundry ships and/or shipyards, then it's certainly possible that they would have some homebuilt fleet carriers by now. Nothing state of the art (i.e Vesuvius or Midway class), but more likely something like Confed's wartime carriers.

Best, Raptor

Oh I agree, there's a good chance that they don't have them yet-that's actually the way I was assuming, but I guess if they did have shipyards around when they formed, it would go quicker. I was just saying, without the shipyards-or hell, even with, when they might have them done.

I'd also agree that it'd be more like Confed's war fleet, and possibly more like the Victory. (As old as she was, I loved that ship.)

Back