Colonel Halcyon

Yes, there were other Wing Commanders on the Midway... Hawk, for example, was Wing Commander of the Black Widows, and Stiletto was Wing Commander of the 'Diamonds.

*All* Wing Commanders/CAGs/whatever's *used* to fly -- but when they command a wing as large as that on Midway or Tiger's Claw, they generally *don't* fly any more.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes, there were other Wing Commanders on the Midway... Hawk, for example, was Wing Commander of the Black Widows, and Stiletto was Wing Commander of the 'Diamonds.

*All* Wing Commanders/CAGs/whatever's *used* to fly -- but when they command a wing as large as that on Midway or Tiger's Claw, they generally *don't* fly any more.

Didn't Maniac take over command of the Black Widows? After he quit... who took over? And who was in command of the Wolf Pack?

(Personally I believe it should be Casey... he does have the highest killscore and best mission averages on the sip afterall :))

No, Maniac commanded an individual squadron within Black Widows (Hawk was still around) -- the squadron/wing confusion in Prophecy is especially bad here. :)

As for Casey commanding a squadron -- having the highest killscore does not equal showing any command experience. :)

true... so who did command the Wolf Pack? And who took over the Black Widows once Hawk was vaped?

(And I think Casey had plenty of "Command Experience", he was commanding flights as soon as he got onboard afterall :))

[Edited by Mav23 on 05-06-2001 at 15:28]

I seem to remember a scene after hawk bought it that had Drake telling maniac that he was in charge of the black widows now. I dunno if this is true in the Confed military but in the USN in order to captain an aircraft carrier you must have been a pilot at some point.

he was given command before Hawk got vaped, so I guess he wasn't commanding the whole squadron then.

I don't believe that Hawk ever had command of even a squadron. He was a BW Colonel that was on the Midway on a cross over program. Any other Colonel could have been commanding a wing somewhere. I am not sure, but I believe that he was a full Colonel, but I could be wrong.

But why Stilleto a 1st lt have a squadron ???
why not Drake or Maniac... (well not maniac)

Originally posted by Supdon3
So does anyone have a picture of Col. Halcyon?

they cant hear you. but i can. im the voice in your head. i shall slowly drive you mad.
[homer]ooooooh tacos. bye[/homer]

Sorry, confusion... Manic *did* command the Black Widows, Hawk didn't... Stiletto was given command of the Diamondbacks because of her actions against that Kilrathi pirate group in '80.

I really don't want to add to the confusion but the WCP guide says Hawk is "commander of the TCS Midway's main squadron, the Black Widows" (again translated from the German version) :confused:

Oh and Sonntag: "Geschwader" is "squadron" in English. I can't tell you what the correct equivalent is for "Staffel" and "Flügel", since their seems to be two different "wing"s: one being a large group of fighters (Tiger's Claw 104 fighters were considered one wing) and 2 fighters can also be considered a wing, like in WC1. Very confusing... :)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-07-2001 at 10:06]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Hawk started off as commander of the 'Widows, and was replaced by Maniac -- before he died.

Although you have wonder just what Hawk did that so bad they decided to replace him with Maniac. :D

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

Oh and Sonntag: "Geschwader" is "squadron" in English. I can't tell you what the correct equivalent is for "Staffel" and "Flügel", since their seems to be two different "wing"s: one being a large group of fighters (Tiger's Claw 104 fighters were considered one wing) and 2 fighters can also be considered a wing, like in WC1. Very confusing... :)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-07-2001 at 10:06]

Yes I think I recall that squadron is a Geschwader, but the theme "Wing" is something that seems to be a bit strange.

I just know that Wing Commander is a British Airforce rank (Oberstleutnant, Lt Col), and so this actually seems to fit somehow into the WC 1 scheme...

I think if we review how Wing / Squadron are characterized onboard a US carrier we would get sooner to the "real" terms

Back