Check this out

Hi there...

Through my website tracker I stumbled upon this discussion here about the picture I took of the Wing Commander Aircraft...

So I just registered here to give you guys some answers...

The aircraft can be found in an abandoned building of the iron ore industry here in Luxembourg, unfortunately the site is not easily accessible, as the buildings all around this particular one are still active and in use... There's security around aso... so going there is quite risky... maybe if you try to get an authorization you might get in; I dont know... There were actually three of these aircrafts standing around this place, this one being the one that was standing out to me from a photographic point of view as I could easily make it stand out from the rest of the stuff lying around.. I think there was one that was used more as a close up model for the cockpit shots as it was not a whole aircraft.. there were other props laing around aswell, some I suppose from the WC movie, some from more historicall movies... there were some sort of alien costumes or I dont know what lying around as well...

If you're really interested in getting into that place I would really recommend the legal way.. as far as I know these things have been lying around for almost 10 years now, so maybe the owners of the building wouldnt care if some enthousiasts show up asking if they could "rescue" the ships ;-)

To my picture.. it's not a 3D rendering, and I didnt paste any parts into the picture (other than the flare from behind).. so the aircraft is as it is in the picture...
I hope I could help you out, an thank you for taking the time to visit my site ;-)

Vero (I'm a girl btw, and by no means a professional photographer)

Hey, that's pretty cool of you to drop by, thanks. After my exams which should be over in the middle of April, I'd like to look if I can get there for at least some pictures. Could I contact you then for some more details about the location?

Thank you so much for making this effort. I know many people don't even bother to leave comments when they can, let alone take the time to register for something they are not already part of.

There were actually three of these aircrafts standing around this place...
Three... and parts of more besides... that's very exciting to hear.

...there were some sort of alien costumes or I dont know what lying around as well...
And costumes too! I'm surprised these haven't been salvaged already... unless people already have been through the place and taken only the best stuff, but that's still great news, I think.

I doubt the majority of the photographers on dA are professional, and that does not necessarily mean we can't also take really nice pictures. Plus you know how to make HDR photos which is a huge bonus.

Well, OK, let's go get 'em. I can get the C-130 fueled and on the strip in 30 mikes. Who's coming with me? :D

That would be great if you guys could get in (legally I mean) and take a look around....maybe take to glancing inventory or maybe a few picks. Would be interesting to find out what else is left there.

Through my website tracker I stumbled upon this discussion here about the picture I took of the Wing Commander Aircraft...

If you're really interested in getting into that place I would really recommend the legal way.. as far as I know these things have been lying around for almost 10 years now, so maybe the owners of the building wouldnt care if some enthousiasts show up asking if they could "rescue" the ships ;-)

That's very interesting. Thanks for registering here for the update.

Hey, that's pretty cool of you to drop by, thanks. After my exams which should be over in the middle of April, I'd like to look if I can get there for at least some pictures. Could I contact you then for some more details about the location?

I hope you do.

Need to know the location.

Hi there...

The aircraft can be found in an abandoned building of the iron ore industry here in Luxembourg, unfortunately the site is not easily accessible, as the buildings all around this particular one are still active and in use... There's security around aso... so going there is quite risky... maybe if you try to get an authorization you might get in; I dont know... There were actually three of these aircrafts standing around this place, this one being the one that was standing out to me from a photographic point of view as I could easily make it stand out from the rest of the stuff lying around.. I think there was one that was used more as a close up model for the cockpit shots as it was not a whole aircraft.. there were other props laing around aswell, some I suppose from the WC movie, some from more historicall movies... there were some sort of alien costumes or I dont know what lying around as well...

To my picture.. it's not a 3D rendering, and I didnt paste any parts into the picture (other than the flare from behind).. so the aircraft is as it is in the picture...
I hope I could help you out, an thank you for taking the time to visit my site ;-)

I really need to know the location. Could you please tell it to me? I'm from the netherlands and it's only a 3 hour drive. And I would really like to take some pictures from this place before it get's wrecked even more.

I am thinking that any queries for information should be run through Vero's web-site. It should be faster to exchange information that way.

Probably but I thought it would seem impolite if we didn't answer here :). I'll try to contact her after my exams. Maybe Ironduke is up for it as well.

Maybe Ironduke is up for it as well...
Count me in! :D That is, if I can free up a weekend in April... So far it's looking good! The big question is: Who has a garden that's big enough to drop one of these babies afterwards? :p

Maybe Luiehond wants to join the party, too...? If they let us in as a small group, maybe we can salvage a few pieces as well. Should be interesting! :)

Count me in! :D That is, if I can free up a weekend in April... So far it's looking good! The big question is: Who has a garden that's big enough to drop one of these babies afterwards? :p

Maybe Luiehond wants to join the party, too...? If they let us in as a small group, maybe we can salvage a few pieces as well. Should be interesting! :)

If only I lived there, My yard is big enough, but you'd have to ship em to the US. :(

If you paid for it, I think it could be arranged to have it shipped to you :). (Well, probably not since it still will be the property of someone not us)

Well, OK, let's go get 'em. I can get the C-130 fueled and on the strip in 30 mikes. Who's coming with me? :D

Now just out of curiosity, how are we going to split the spoils? I got dibs on one of the fighters as I'm probably the only one with a large enough yard.

Well, OK, let's go get 'em. I can get the C-130 fueled and on the strip in 30 mikes. Who's coming with me?

That C-130 maneuvers like a pregnant yak.

That'd be an awesome thing to have in the backyard. "And to your right, a CF-177B Rapier..."

CF-117b -- and the 'b' is lower case, for some reason.

I find the picture a bit odd, since i remember the movie props being only 2 full-scale fighters based on the frames of early jet fighters and had been tracked a long time ago and had been sold through e-bay, so is this a third one?

This is something of a mystery, since we had thought only two Lightnings were converted into Rapiers -- and both of them showed up outside of Luxembourg after the movie came out.

One appeared in England, the property of a prop rental company (which had been trying to sell it off for $15,000 - I'm not sure if it appeared on eBay or not).

Another one showed up in Columbus, Ohio, of all places, as the centerpiece of a Planet Hollywood restaurant: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/1263

Anyhow, the pictures are beautiful - do you sell prints of some kind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back