CF-105 Scimitar

Man howard, there isn't even a point in telling you your work is awesome anymore because I'm sure you've heard it too many times. Good job anyway. Thanks for your contributions to the community.

Great! Thanks all for the kind words. Also, I like the paint job ideas submitted so far, but I get the feeling some of them might be rather difficult to pull of, given that the Scimitar doesn't have the standard aeroplane layout - no tail. :D

So I feel like I need to provide a quicky update here...And I have some interesting news!
So on the Scimitar, I'm still working on it, but I'm neck deep in crunch time right now at work - with any luck, though, I should have pretty much the entire month of December off, and I should be able to easily wrap it up then. Not sure how much will get done between now and then, but I will try and get the landing gear started.
Now for the interesting news: I was out drinking with some guys from the office a week ago, and the subject of Wing Commander came up. I mentioned all the stuff Joel and I have been doing, and Marc Schaefgen (currently working with us here in Eugene, after flying up from Austin) expressed some interest in doing some sound work for the game...That's right, the original sound guy from WC1/2 and numerous other Origin games has an interest in this.
I was estatic. Now, obviously nothing's written in stone, and nothing has been agreed upon, but I thought this was cool enough to share. I showed him the Scimitar this morning, and he got all nostalgic.
Pretty cool.
And I'm sorta nerding out right now, you'll have to forgive me.
Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll try and do the old girl justice.

Great! Thanks all for the kind words. Also, I like the paint job ideas submitted so far, but I get the feeling some of them might be rather difficult to pull of, given that the Scimitar doesn't have the standard aeroplane layout - no tail. :D

So I feel like I need to provide a quicky update here...And I have some interesting news!
So on the Scimitar, I'm still working on it, but I'm neck deep in crunch time right now at work - with any luck, though, I should have pretty much the entire month of December off, and I should be able to easily wrap it up then. Not sure how much will get done between now and then, but I will try and get the landing gear started.
Now for the interesting news: I was out drinking with some guys from the office a week ago, and the subject of Wing Commander came up. I mentioned all the stuff Joel and I have been doing, and Marc Schaefgen (currently working with us here in Eugene, after flying up from Austin) expressed some interest in doing some sound work for the game...That's right, the original sound guy from WC1/2 and numerous other Origin games has an interest in this.
I was estatic. Now, obviously nothing's written in stone, and nothing has been agreed upon, but I thought this was cool enough to share. I showed him the Scimitar this morning, and he got all nostalgic.
Pretty cool.
And I'm sorta nerding out right now, you'll have to forgive me.
Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll try and do the old girl justice.

That's neat, good to hear that some of the old Origin guys are still in the business and have fond memories of the good old days.

Oooh, it would be awesome if he did join the Pioneer project, and it also goes to show that the folks who worked on the Wing Commander series originally still have love for it.

omg Howard, excellent work yet again! Can't wait to see those paint schemes. Every time I see a new piece from you it brings back great memories of playing the original games for the first time all those years ago.

Always loved the original WC Confed designs. Looks fantastic, Howard. She looks even better in 3d than I suspected. :)

The news on Marc is exciting indeed! Don't let that opportunity slip away! :)

As for suggestions for colour schemes...For absolutely no other reason than I think it might look cool, I'd love to see her in a WC3 Excalibur-esque scheme...

Oh, and how about a dirty pirate paintjob?

69173.png

I...I want to touch it.

Like, most models you usually see are simply from a beauty standpoint where its all about the ships and their amazing paint jobs or amazing lettering.

No, but frankly Howard, Most of your models have fused a utilitarian approach with plain, but pretty textures. I like dat. I like dat alot.

Nah, those are for the Scimitar. The Sabre in the cockpit textures is just to have something for that screen. If you ever see that in game, you really wouldn't be able to make out much of what it actually is - it'll bee too small.

Isn't Pioneer set before the Sabre becomes available, anyway? IIRC we're only going to be seeing pre-WC2-era vessels.

That's right, the original sound guy from WC1/2 and numerous other Origin games has an interest in this.

I just re-read this, and figured "Uhhh, the WC1/2 SFX are FM synthesys or wave samples from a Roland"

But then again the SegaCD port of WC1 was awesome(I fired it up and am playing it through again rightnow!), though the music differs a bit some tunes you still recognize, and the speech part is awesome(allthough I think they picked the wrong guy to voice Halcyon, ofcourse you have to remap the controls, and the fact that the joystick is digitally mapped... Well those digital FX work great.

I'm sure it is meaningless after so many compliments, but I love seeing your work. Another masterpiece!

hehe.. I am totally digging these texture files. I've spent a good amount of time this morning trying to figure out how they were produced and replicate :D

Isn't Pioneer set before the Sabre becomes available, anyway? IIRC we're only going to be seeing pre-WC2-era vessels.

Which pretty much just excludes the Crossbow and Morningstar. The vast majority of Wing Commander ships are not brand new the first time we see them in a Wing Commander game.

PSP.....Memory chip....Filling...due to huge sized screen shots...Any chance you can show me the shots in a smaller size?

Back