Centurion...

BradMick

Vice Admiral
Yep yep, here she is so far. :)

18-210834.jpg

Brad Mick

I hope you are helping either Saga or Standoff as you seem to be a very good modeler (although I have no idea what to compare to as I'm not quite sure what is involved outside of basic polygon connecting)

So far The Reckoning and WCU have been the two to approach me, or seem to be the most interested in these new higher res models. But, if others want the models, i'll be more than happy to give em out :)

Brad Mick

Brad...your work is very very very inspiring. Because of you and Howie I've learned to put much much much more detail in my models. Granted they're not nearly your quality but they are definitely coming along. I'm very interested in seeing the completed Centurion...hell I might try to make one myself just for the learning involved.

Update: Here's what I assembled in about 45 minutes. Its about 2700 polys altogether so it's actually capable of being utilized in an actual game.

centurian.jpg

hey cool man! looks good striker :) very good ineed. And don't worry about 'qaulity' so long as you're happy with it, that's what counts. Also, time dude..lots of time. i've been doin this stuff a LONG time. 6-7 years, 3 of it in LightWave. You're well on your way man, very much so. Oh! also, your animation was cool too! :)

Should finish up later on today, went and jammed with the band, then just chilled. Had to get away from the computer for a few hours.

as for the scale. Basicly all i did was size the cockpit of the tarsus to a scale i thought was fairly decent with the cockpit of the galaxy. The galaxy and tarsus i used the ship dealer screen to pick a spot on the galaxy which was the same size as the cockpit on the centurion. guess work all around, but i think fairly close and accurate. hopefully :)

Brad Mick

Maj.Striker said:
Update: Here's what I assembled in about 45 minutes. Its about 2700 polys altogether so it's actually capable of being utilized in an actual game.

Tha't some really nice work ... you've managed to preserve both the Centurion's form and your own distinctive style.

Tell me, how did you do the extrudes? Day said something about "refining the mesh with booleans", but I'm not entirey sure what that means.

there should be an extrude modifier available for poly editing. just grab a face and pull it out.

refining by boolean means taking 2 objects and 'bool-ing' them.
you can volume merge, add, subtract, exclude, etc.

you can also ignore volumes and just use 'refine'. this basically means take object A, and object B, and everywhere object B intersects object A, cut it there (i.e. split the faces with a new line). afterwards you can then select the faces you wish (like the newly refined-in faces on object A... which would be inside the area once occupied by object B) and extrude them.

-scheherazade

just a quick little note to let you guys know this isn't dead. been really busy with studying for tests, and yesterday i decided to just chill...so, i'll be back to work either later tonight or tommorrow.

Brad Mick

Bob McDob said:
Tha't some really nice work ... you've managed to preserve both the Centurion's form and your own distinctive style.

Tell me, how did you do the extrudes? Day said something about "refining the mesh with booleans", but I'm not entirey sure what that means.

Thanks. To be honest I'm not sure what Day was referring to, he uses 3d max and I use Cinema 4d although I suspect there's probably a similar method to do what he does in Max. I'm very interested in knowing what boolean operation he is referring to and how he does it specifically. However for what I do with my models often utilizes the Extrude and Extrude Inner options. Say you have a cube and you want to add some detail to it...I'll typically extrude inner a little bit and then do a normal extrude to make it stand out so it looks like an armor plate or whatever. Doing things like that here and there helps shake up monotony of a model. By observing Brad's fantastic Galaxy model I was able to figure out how to design much better engines (although still not quite as awesome as his :) ) I want to go back and review Day's phenomenal Hornet and see if I can glean any tips on the actual fighter body as he had some awesome detail on his...but again I'm not sure what boolean operations he does.

Brad, I can't wait till you finish the Centurian...I know it will be awesome. Of course you realize the Orion must be next right? :)

i was actually thinking of tackling the Talon after the centurion :) :) :)

And yep, howard. I do plan on doing low poly full out cockpits for the ships. Hopefull with Vegastrike they'll be able to do the virtual cockpit thing like in IL2 Sturmovik or Lock On: Modern Air Combat...that shit just rocks!

Brad Mick

cockpits too? That makes me really happy :D VS can do 3d cockpits of course. What needs work is attaching instruments to those 3d surfaces, but that can be done. There just haven't been any cockpits worth doing that for yet.

scheherazade said:
there should be an extrude modifier available for poly editing. just grab a face and pull it out.

refining by boolean means taking 2 objects and 'bool-ing' them.
you can volume merge, add, subtract, exclude, etc.

you can also ignore volumes and just use 'refine'. this basically means take object A, and object B, and everywhere object B intersects object A, cut it there (i.e. split the faces with a new line). afterwards you can then select the faces you wish (like the newly refined-in faces on object A... which would be inside the area once occupied by object B) and extrude them.

-scheherazade

Yeah, I've done that ... I'm pretty annoyed at how I've never really been able to get decent or even clean results with the booleans, though.

Back