Carrier fight

Haesslich said:
True, though this is just to the left of pitting the Sivar against the Behemoth in a planet-busting contest.

Thats a stretch, pinning the Behemoth against the Sivar, the Behemoth has no defensive weaponry, no armor, and minimal shields. The REAL match would be Sivar vs. Concordia. Both have thier own one hit kill weaponry, and decent primary weapon systems.

The Sivar's weapon couldn't lock quickly enough to be fired at other ships - it was for use against stationary targets only.

Well yeah, but I mean, the Anti matter gun was too slow to hit a fighter... but it could get lucky sometimes as Joan's fighter guide said. Plus the Concordia is huge, I dont know if it could get out of the way fast enough... though I do think the Concordia would win as the PTC is a refinement of the Sivar weapon

We're talking about a weapon that takes minutes to lock - not something that would ever be effective against a starship that travels at speeds measured in kilometers per second.

F4U Corsair said:
Well yeah, but I mean, the Anti matter gun was too slow to hit a fighter... but it could get lucky sometimes as Joan's fighter guide said. Plus the Concordia is huge, I dont know if it could get out of the way fast enough... though I do think the Concordia would win as the PTC is a refinement of the Sivar weapon

I'd probably suggest that a better match would be one between the Fralthra and an Waterloo-class ship. :D They're both cruisers which CAN carry fighters, have similar gun loadouts, and their fighter-carrying configurations have the same number of fighters.

Now your really talking about a fight that would come down to the ablities of the captains, crews, and pilots. Since its pretty much and even fight capablity wise. oh and lets not forget alittle luck that always plays into military engagements.

Well, the Sivar should do a lot of damage aganist a major colony, wouldn't it? Otherwise what was the whole point of make that ship?

all in all, it's not the gear, but how it's used...

how would you pit the intrepid against a starbase or the vesuvius?

beating the odds is part of the game.

Delance said:
Well, the Sivar should do a lot of damage aganist a major colony, wouldn't it? Otherwise what was the whole point of make that ship?

It does do a lot of damage. It crushed Goddard. Although to be an effective weapon, it has to be well protected from attacks during its attack phase.

If it's a carrier fight, I'm going to go with the ship that can carry the most fighters/bombers.

More fighters mean more recon, more CAP, and more cover (for the bombers as well).

More bombers equates to a stonger ability to strike the opposing carrier. Most likely, niether carrier will ever get within visual range of the other.

Of course this is assuming all pilots and commanders have equal skill. Who knows in real life.

On a side note, this is why I maintain the Vesuvius class would take the Midway class (on paper).

Back