BREAKING: WC Prophecy on GOG

Could you please try to explain exactly what happens ? Are the movie showing or not ? In a separate window or in the game ? Are you running the game fullscreen or windowed ? You say mpeg2dec "helped": in what way ? Was it not showing before and now it is ? You say it helped "until switching resolution": what worked differently after changing resolution ? What was the original (working) resolution and the later resolution that didn't work ? You know you can't change any setting, including resolution, while the game is running, right ?

WCP set to work in full-screen. "Standard" (non-DVD) movies showed fine, in full-screen, with both audio & video parts. Initial resolution for HiRes set to 1280x720. DVD movies resulted as silent full-screen black box, no video, no audio, with correct timing of original movie length, then game continue in set resolution. It look like that K-Lite codec pack has compatible ac3 codec, coz after its installation DVD movies resulted as still black box but having correct audio part. K-Lite has few switchable MPEG2 engines according to it information but it does not help to get video part of DVD movies, blank (black) screen instead of it. Manual installation of mpeg2dec solves the problem for period of time. DVD movies showed as expected - full-screen, video and audio, even with correct subtitles. But when I switch resolution for HiRes to 1920x1080 than video part of DVD movies are lost again, welcome back good old black box screen. Switching back to 1280x720 does not help anymore. Reinstalling mpeg2dec does not help anymore.

PS. Got Your tip for WCSO. Thanks.

This is strange, just changing the resolution shouldn't really get in the way of DVD play, at least in theory. Just to rule out some issues:
  • What video card do you have?
  • When you lose the movies after increasing resolution, is the audio gone as well? Or just the image?
  • What OpenGL options do you have? Does disabling some OpenGL features (eg. turn HDR off, set FSAA to 0, set max anisotropy to 0...) help in any way?
  • Does installing the CCCP pack and enabling mpeg2 decoding help in any way?
In any case, i've been running a few tests and exchanging a some notes with wcnut regarding Wine compatibility. I've been working in a modified version of the DVD patch, which still needs some polishing and bugfixing (eg. subtitles rendering needed to be reworked and doesn't work yet), but finally works on Linux Wine as well as Windows. I'll tweak it a bit more and link it here, as soon as i leave the day job. If nothing else helps, that's something to try as well (although i would start by the suggestions above, as they have the highest chance of working, i think).

I put a new version of the WCP DVD patch here: http://hcl.solsector.net/wcpdvd_16_nov_2013.7z

Basically, the patch now uses different DirectShow interfaces, which provides better Wine compatibility. It is finally working on Linux Wine reliably (in theory it should work on Mac Wine as well, although I haven't been able to make it work in my Macbook yet). The subtitle rendering code ended up being reworked to make it compatible with the new code, so it may still need a couple of tweaks (especially as my Win32 api is a bit rusty...). Still, it seems to be working properly in all the test VMs I was able to put the patch through (XP, Linux and Win7).

Other than that, just minor tweaks, such as reducing the subtitle font size in order to avoid it being cut off on larger sentences.

Let me know if any problem comes up though!

Great Job I recently formatted and installed all GOG Commanders instead of my regular copies and they work perfectly.Prophecy DVD movies also.Thank you guys.
Too bad UE and Standoff isnt compatible anymore

I put a new version of the WCP DVD patch here: http://hcl.solsector.net/wcpdvd_16_nov_2013.7z

Basically, the patch now uses different DirectShow interfaces, which provides better Wine compatibility. It is finally working on Linux Wine reliably (in theory it should work on Mac Wine as well, although I haven't been able to make it work in my Macbook yet). The subtitle rendering code ended up being reworked to make it compatible with the new code, so it may still need a couple of tweaks (especially as my Win32 api is a bit rusty...). Still, it seems to be working properly in all the test VMs I was able to put the patch through (XP, Linux and Win7).

Other than that, just minor tweaks, such as reducing the subtitle font size in order to avoid it being cut off on larger sentences.

Let me know if any problem comes up though!

This patch worked great! Thanks! I tried the old patch and was getting all sorts of problems

1. Every time a cutscene initiated, it would flash my windows 7 desktop, kinda ruining the immersion
2. The subtitles flat out wouldn't work, they would flash for about a quarter second then disappear.
3. Horrible interlacing all over the video and bad letterboxing

After I dropped the new patch into the folder, all these issues were fixed. Subtitles look perfect, interlacing is gone, no more windows desktop when a fmv kicks in, and framing of the video is perfect in 1280x720

Now if only I could get secret ops to launch without crashing.

Unknown enemy and Standoff. They get an Input error and they crash badly even task manager cant help it.I recently uninstall them because I couldnt find a way to play them.It only happens with GOG version.I may reinstall Standoff just to take a screenshot of the error

Decay: Great, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to know the new version is working properly and solved the problems you were having.

Regarding the Secret Ops problems: is the Win95 compatibility enabled on the Secret Ops EXE?

Unknown enemy and Standoff. They get an Input error and they crash badly even task manager cant help it.I recently uninstall them because I couldnt find a way to play them.It only happens with GOG version.I may reinstall Standoff just to take a screenshot of the error
Please do try again and send me screenshots/more info. I just tested a complete reinstall on a fresh Windows 8.1 install and it did work. The only hiccup being WCUE's installer insisting the dlls could not be copied while... they were. I just clicked "Ignore" repeatedly to get through it. Then simply download a copy of Msvbvm50.exe and put in in the folder, set the compatibility on WCUE.EXE, and it was working. Standoff worked right from the setup.

Please do try again and send me screenshots/more info. I just tested a complete reinstall on a fresh Windows 8.1 install and it did work. The only hiccup being WCUE's installer insisting the dlls could not be copied while... they were. I just clicked "Ignore" repeatedly to get through it. Then simply download a copy of Msvbvm50.exe and put in in the folder, set the compatibility on WCUE.EXE, and it was working. Standoff worked right from the setup.

Thank you Popsicle! As soon as I can I will post the screenshot.
I have the same exact problem with both games.Not with Secret Ops though.

Decay: Great, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to know the new version is working properly and solved the problems you were having.

Regarding the Secret Ops problems: is the Win95 compatibility enabled on the Secret Ops EXE?

Yea i just tested it again, win95 mode is enabled but it still crashes everytime. I might need to try reinstalling it again and patching it properly. But I will try it in win95 mode before i patch anything.

Can anyone help me? I just downloaded Wing Commander Prophecy from GOG games and the install file will not load at all, keeps saying incompatibile with windows. I have windows 7 and I changed the setting to be compatible with windows 95, and even tried 98 and all the others but nothing worked. Half the time it just sits there and doesnt do anything. Any know whats going on here? Ive had no problems running the other WC games

I picked up a GOG copy of Prophecy and Secret Ops. Been a long time since I played this game. It was really nice to get the patches and hires movies for Prophecy! Made the play through so much more fun.

I followed all the instructions in the first page of this thread (reply #14), and playing Prophecy went off without a hitch. Loved it!

However, I completed Prophecy this evening, and tried to start SO. Not happening. Running Windows 7 64-bit, and it just won't run. Never tried it with the straight GOG version, so may have to reinstall that one for Secret Ops. I had disabled compatibility mode for Prophecy, but left compatibility mode enabled on Secret Ops.

I see others have had the same issue. Has anyone figured this out yet?

Is the game giving you a specific error message, or just generic-crashing ?

Also, if you previously had Secret Ops installed and then installed GoG's Secret Ops to a different folder, be aware that only that new install will work. GoG's install will have altered the registry keys pointing to the game's path, so the old SO install will not work anymore. There can be only one install path of WCP and one for SO on your system.

Just a generic crash. I haven't had Secret Ops installed previously, except on a much older computer many, many years ago. This was a fresh install, one day old.

I just did a complete uninstall using Revo uninstaller, and cleaned the registry. I tried another fresh install without the patches to see if I could get it to work. Same issue.
secretops.exe has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.
So, apparently it's not the patches, unless the patches have done something to the registry that didn't get cleaned.

I suppose at this point I should contact GOG concerning money spent on something that doesn't work, since they are technically responsible for support.

Other things to check out for:

• Make sure the game is NOT installed in C:\Program Files; instead install it in a separate folder structure like "C:\Games\GoG Games" or something like that. Windows UAC will mess up with the game if you don't.
  • What is your video card ? You should try out different rendering modes. DirectX is the most compatible, Glide emulator and OpenGL enhancement mode might have some problems with some video cards.
  • When using OpenGL, try disabling HDR and Enhanced Lighting, see if that fixes the problem.
  • Try with and without the Win98 compatibility mode.

It is installed in "C:\Gog Games\...".
My video card is a Radeon HD 7770, and it works great with HDR and Enhanced Lighting in prophecy.exe.
Numerous glide games work great.
I have tried with/without win98 compatibility mode and win95 compatibility mode.
I have tried DirectX, Glide, and OpenGL setups with SecretOps, none work for some reason. Perhaps part of the package was corrupted in download, but the installer should have been smart enough to know that. However, I've noticed issues with other installers, so not all installers are that smart.

Haven't taken time to contact GOG yet, but will do so. I probably will need to re-download, which means going somewhere with broadband, since I'm on dial-up. I only get to do that 2x per month when I visit family, so it may take some time before I get around to it.

Is the GOG secret ops working for anyone who has Windows 7 64-bit? That would at least tell me something.

What is the 3dfx patch? It comes with nGlide, which is supposed to emulate 3dfx. If it is another patch, I'm willing to try if it will help.

Back