BREAKING: WC Prophecy on GOG

I believe it's just the one OpenGL patch. I'd start experimenting with disabling different optional graphics card settings...

Hi, I did everything as stated but when I run Prophecy.exe (on Win 11, 64bit) it welcomes me with a popup in Prophecy telling me to insert Disk 1. I am using the GOG Version. Can anyone please give me some advice?

Hi, I followed the process and found that high resolution videos have no audio when played from the game, but the sound does work fine if reproduced via VLC from file explorer. I'm using Windows 11, game set in Opengl with everything maxed, 4k, not windowed. Otherwise, I get to the callsign screen no problem.

PD: Just checked by removing the "movie" folder. Low res videos have no audio issues.

PD2: Also tried installing K-Lite Codec standard with no success. Videos are still silent.

Last edited:
Hi, I followed the process and found that high resolution videos have no audio when played from the game, but the sound does work fine if reproduced via VLC from file explorer. I'm using Windows 11, game set in Opengl with everything maxed, 4k, not windowed. Otherwise, I get to the callsign screen no problem.

PD: Just checked by removing the "movie" folder. Low res videos have no audio issues.

PD2: Also tried installing K-Lite Codec standard with no success. Videos are still silent.
Are we talking about the DVD video packs or the HD fan-upscaled movie packs? It still sounds like a codec issue but the specific reason it's failing to play audio could vary.

Even with K-lite installed you might still need to tweak some things with the codec tweak tool. Sometimes you also still need to install separate AC3 decoders or AAC decoders to get it to work right. Sometimes the default volume on AC3 audio is also messed up and needs boosted compared to the regular in game audio.

Are we talking about the DVD video packs or the HD fan-upscaled movie packs? It still sounds like a codec issue but the specific reason it's failing to play audio could vary.

Even with K-lite installed you might still need to tweak some things with the codec tweak tool. Sometimes you also still need to install separate AC3 decoders or AAC decoders to get it to work right. Sometimes the default volume on AC3 audio is also messed up and needs boosted compared to the regular in game audio.
I tried both.😅 Both had the same issue.☹️

Also installed AC3Filter, but did nothing with it.

In any case, if the problem is related to a codec or volume, shouldn't playing the video files from the file explorer show the same problem?

In any case, if the problem is related to a codec or volume, shouldn't playing the video files from the file explorer show the same problem?
Not necessarily. VLC IIRC defaults to some kind of FFMpeg implementation. The way a game decides which codec to use for processing is sort of more complicated. Somewhere directx is likely mishandling telling the game what output mode to use for audio or possibly even telling it to use the wrong output mode even.

So I have been tweaking and reinstalling the game following several instructions found in this forums and the only thing I managed was to screw things even more (like game not launching, gl errors etc). So I have returned to the method described here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/12422

I have also uninstalled AC3Filter and instead upgraded K-Lite Codec to the "Mega" version which, as I understand, includes AC3 support.

Now, if I launch the game from "prophecy.exe" either the game crashes if a movie folder is present or the videos are seen with horizontal lines. Whereas if launched via "launcher" they reproduce without sound or without lines in the case of the og videos.

So I have been tweaking and reinstalling the game following several instructions found in this forums and the only thing I managed was to screw things even more (like game not launching, gl errors etc). So I have returned to the method described here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/12422

I have also uninstalled AC3Filter and instead upgraded K-Lite Codec to the "Mega" version which, as I understand, includes AC3 support.

Now, if I launch the game from "prophecy.exe" either the game crashes if a movie folder is present or the videos are seen with horizontal lines. Whereas if launched via "launcher" they reproduce without sound or without lines in the case of the og videos.
Is it possible that for whatever reason your AC3 is defaulting to digital out or to some other output mode that isn't your default when running the movies?

Another possible culprit is the DVD overlay which windows is treating like a second window. For whatever reason windows likes to mute programs when they aren't in "focus" . I can't test it myself but what happens if you alt-tab to the video layer when a movie starts? Do you hear sound then?

Is it possible that for whatever reason your AC3 is defaulting to digital out or to some other output mode that isn't your default when running the movies?

Another possible culprit is the DVD overlay which windows is treating like a second window. For whatever reason windows likes to mute programs when they aren't in "focus" . I can't test it myself but what happens if you alt-tab to the video layer when a movie starts? Do you hear sound then?

Ok, so i did some testing:

Alt tab-ing has no effect. I even tried playing the same video file with the K-Lite media player at the same time, and it sounds evene while the DVD file is playing in the game.

Also tried changing some settings in Codec Tweak Tool without success. The only thing I discovered is that changing 32 bit ADTS AAC decoder from Microsoft to LAV audio causes the game to crash when using DVD video (I aattach a capture of the setting).

I also noticed that alt tab-ing in on videos causes the game window to minimize (even whe in full screen) and let me move the mouse pointer freely, but the DVD sections only allow to change to other windows while the video is allways at the background and the mous pointer is stuck in the middle.

Opened the windows sound menu to check if there was any sound in any of the outputs. Everything was silent. Also tried changing the sound output, but had no effect.

Don't know what else to try. I guess I'll have to resign myself to non DVD videos. Well, at least I did manage to get rid of those annoying scanlines.

Attachments

• Izengabea.png
    Izengabea.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 11
Back