Books

Originally posted by mpanty

Ever been to Spain or Italy?

All stores are closed from 1:00pm onwards, for the "siesta", and only re-open at 5:00pm... :rolleyes:

When you're used to living in France, where shops are open all day long, it's really a weird feeling to go out at 3:00pm to do shopping, and find the stores closed...

mhhhh. siesta...... i love Siesta :cool:

In Spain and Italy, they go home. No restaurants. Just go home, eat, be with family. Lunch for them is the equivalent of dinner for Americans. All they eat for their dinner is soup or other light stuff. The cool thing is that even schools close. Thing is, they gotta go Saturdays too. Hey, I actually learned something in Spanish class! :)

I would have shot myself if I had to goto school on a saturday. Saturdays are for playing Wing Commander and posting in the CZ!

Originally posted by Lunatic
In Spain and Italy, they go home. No restaurants. Just go home, eat, be with family. Lunch for them is the equivalent of dinner for Americans. All they eat for their dinner is soup or other light stuff. The cool thing is that even schools close. Thing is, they gotta go Saturdays too. Hey, I actually learned something in Spanish class! :)
All correct!! My guess is that you got a high GPA for that Spanish class... :)

But you'll be even more surprised, listen to this:
In Italy (and probably in Spain too), we don't go to school in the afternoon, whether it's elementary school, or High school...
Nope, we go home for lunch, and that's it until the day after... :D
Originally posted by Lunatic
All they eat for their dinner is soup or other light stuff.
You forgot the most important thing (both Italian and Spanish, but mostly Italian), LA PASTA! ;-)

I saw this in an E! Wild On special. I think it was Spain or Rome. Well it was called siesta so Spain seems more likely.

Siesta is "performed" every day by many Spaniards, Italians, and South Americans...
"To sleep 1-2 hours after the midday lunch"... :)

I personally don't enjoy it that much, but in Mexico it's a national sport.... :D

... and in the south of France and in Corsica... er.. wait a minute... no, in Corsica la "siesta" longs 24 hours a day... LOL :D

Siesta is "performed" every day by many Spaniards, Italians, and South Americans...
"To sleep 1-2 hours after the midday lunch"... :)

I personally don't enjoy it that much, but in Mexico it's a national sport.... :D

Specially after *La Pasta con Tuco*.....

Ever been to Spain or Italy?

All stores are closed from 1:00pm onwards, for the "siesta", and only re-open at 5:00pm...

When you're used to living in France, where shops are open all day long, it's really a weird feeling to go out at 3:00pm to do shopping, and find the stores closed...

Well, I was in Italy but I was too little to bother whether the shops were open or not. :)

But you're right, it seems quite strange to me. But if the Italians get along with it, why not? You can adapt to anything.

Thanks, mpanty, but unfortunately, Spanish is my worst class (tied with English, though I'm self-depricating). Unfortunately, my average in that class is only in the 90-95 range. And to think I'm taking Spanish and English AP in the fall.

Ghost, Lunatic was trying to be smart by pretending he didn't know... :rolleyes:

Because a guy whose Spanish class average is over 90, and doesn't know how to tell the difference between French and Spanish, must be taking classes in Antarctica with penguins...

Somehow I think Ghost knew that. Heck even I could tell the difference, and I dropped French after the 4th grade, and in the first 4 years my average grades for French were 4, 4, 8 and 7 respectively. (btw, the difference between the 2nd and 3rd grade are from a change in teacher). And I never took Spanish. I've never even been to Spain either (I've been to France and Italy though, so I know about the pain of finding shops closed in the afternoon)

Back