Books

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm not complaining, but Europe is a pretty good market for WC merchandise, is it not? I have never laid my eyes on a real WC book in my life.

I couldn't find a single Wing Commander book in my local Barnes and Noble hear in New York. However I have four Wing Commander books, half of which I've bought in London, and the other half of which I've bought in Stockholm, Sweden.

I can get German novels here. Or order them. The only WC novel I saw/bought directly in a store was 'The Price of Freedom'. But English titles are just not to get. Only on amazon.de or so.
And even the German ones aren't very common in the stores.

I'm not complaining, but Europe is a pretty good market for WC merchandise, is it not? I have never laid my eyes on a real WC book in my life.

It's all relative. Most of the novels came out in Germany (not all though) and they are getting rarer. Still, it is relatively easy to get some novels. But other stuff, like the Confederation Handbook is unheard of here.
I was in Glasgow some time ago and I was looking forward to find the Confederation Handbook but no book store I visited (most of them fairly well equipped) had it. I was a bit astonished...

Yes, but we all know that Germany is one of the biggest markets for Wing Commander, if not the biggest. :)

Yes, but we all know that Germany is one of the biggest markets for Wing Commander, if not the biggest. :)

Games and novels perhaps, the other stuff is rather unavailable. Of course, it varies from city to city. Here at my place there was no chance of getting WC CCGs but in other cities it was possible.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
(...)
I was in Glasgow some time ago...
Really? You did some kind of Scotland tour?
I visited Scotland 2 years ago...
Did you visit the Highlands and Edimburgh?

I think I saw a WC guide in a store in Edimburgh, though I don't remember very well...

I was more in the north, in the region of the Isle of Skye. And it wasn't a real tour, we had mission ,a stupid one, some may say, nevertheless a mission which we completed successfully.

I was very amazed that most shops in Glasgow closed between 5 and 6 pm. But with the high exchange course, it wouldn't have been cheap anyway.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I was very amazed that most shops in Glasgow closed between 5 and 6 pm.
Ever been to Spain or Italy?

All stores are closed from 1:00pm onwards, for the "siesta", and only re-open at 5:00pm... :rolleyes:

When you're used to living in France, where shops are open all day long, it's really a weird feeling to go out at 3:00pm to do shopping, and find the stores closed...

Wait, when I lived in France all the stores closed for several hours for lunch in the middle of the day...

[smiles] :)

Didn't you say you lived in Aix-en-Provence, LOAF? That's south of France... and people from that region are known to... how shall I put this :)... "take it easy" in life...

But joke aside, 90% of the stores in France's big cities don't close for lunch... smaller cities and towns certainly do, though...
In Paris, we reach a humble 99.9%... :)

For the sake of curiosity, do stores close for lunch in Lyon, NoRemorse?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Wait, when I lived in France all the stores closed for several hours for lunch in the middle of the day...

Why don't americans do this? It makes so much sense than busting your ass everyday for jsuta 30 minute lunch break.

Like my dad says, (don't hate me for this) the French have no work ethic. He goes on to stereotype everyone else, so I don't put much stock in it. Personally, I think the the people in the good ol' US work so hard because they want to earn as much $ as possible

I don't think we work so hard to have so much cash... it's just that everythings so damn expensive! You want to talk of work ethic? The Japanese sleep in thier offices! Now THAT'S dedication!

well we get paid little... our populous is impoverished... there are those who work 2 and 3 jobs just to survive!

Manic: "Japanese sleep in thier offices! Now THAT'S dedication!"

So does my cousin, and he works for a software company in NJ. So do most of the people he knows. But you're right, people do work like dogs.

How would that work if everything closed to go to lunch. You'd hate working at any restaraunt during lunch hours, would be absolutely packed!

Back