Blue people aboard the Tiger's Claw?

Anyone who's wondering how a human can be anti-war during the Kilrathi War might want to read some of the inner-world viewpoints in Fleet Action (especially the bar scene in the beginning).

(Based on the stuff shown in the series, he's just against war in general... which is a perfectly healthy viewpoint, I suppose. The 'season 2' stuff referenced in the press kit makes him seem more like a dirty space hippie.)

Napoleon said:
Well we know it didnt work for the TC, thus the TC situation is not like comparable to the modern day world, but rather to WW2 (well it was ww2 in space) and id say like the false peace, had the allies been dumber could have worked in ww2 as well, had like Rommel and his buddies succeeded in killing hitler in 44, giving the nazis time to get alot of jets and rockets and nukes.

If you're comparing things to actual history then do it right. "Rommel and his buddies" *sigh* did want to end the war and take over control FROM the Nazis. Not to buy time to build Jets and Rockets and Nukes but to stop the annihilation of Germany and maybe get a chance to stop Stalin from overrunning Europe.

No, I meant that the Germans were attempting to destroy us by screwing with our plumbing systems and turning all "soft water" lines into "hard water" and erroding all our plumbing with rust.

Don't worry - LeHah is making fun of himself because he used the wrong phrase earlier.

"Heavy water" is the atomic bomb component he meant to talk about earlier... but he said "hard water", which is ordinary tap water that tastes funny because it has some metal in it.

I was talking about "sweating" and general plumbing while writing that post, hence the confusion.

The Nazis made plenty of mistakes when they were around, but when you have a meglomaniac running the show you can't expect otherwise. Why are great leaders madmen lol. Napoleon, Alexander, Patton, Hitler and several others, enlightened madness I guess.

BlackJack2063 said:
The Nazis made plenty of mistakes when they were around, but when you have a meglomaniac running the show you can't expect otherwise. Why are great leaders madmen lol. Napoleon, Alexander, Patton, Hitler and several others, enlightened madness I guess.
Put down the crack pipe and walk away.

When (and why) did a thread about the Academy show turn into an argument about the motivations for great leaders in history?

Point. I wouldn't put Hitler down as a great leader - and I probably wouldn't put Patton down as mad. Eccentric? Oyah. Mad? Nah.

Wow, way to convince me you know absolutely nothing about modern history.

Something I've learned from studying history is that in order to be an effective military commander, you have to be a little bit mad. Patton was eccentric, and a prima donna. He wrote poetry and believed in reincarnation. Whether these particular attributes helped him be a brilliant strategist, I don't know. But I do know that by some special insight, by working in an area of the mind, diffrent from most, he became arguably the best Allied commander of the war. Ironically, the abscense of war is what ultimately killed him. Their are charachters like this in the Wing Commander universe as well.

Look at Tolwyn. Tolwyn was a bit mad, and definately off edge by WC4 but it was this edgyness and this hightened state of mind, almost a sense of craziness, that allowed him to be a brilliant commander and protect Confed for 20 years. Like Patton, the abscence of war killed him as well, because without a threat, his mind could find no purpose for itself.

Sylvester said:
Patton was eccentric, and a prima donna. He wrote poetry and believed in reincarnation. Whether these particular attributes helped him be a brilliant strategist, I don't know. But I do know that by some special insight, by working in an area of the mind, diffrent from most, he became arguably the best Allied commander of the war. Ironically, the abscense of war is what ultimately killed him. Their are charachters like this in the Wing Commander universe as well.

The absence of seatbelts is what ultimately killed him.

Wasn't it MacArthur that died in a jeep accident?

(Wait, I'm thinking of General Walker)

Sylvester said:
Patton was paralyzed and later died when his jeep was hit by a truck.

And the truck-induced death was the fault of 'Patton having no purpose without a war' in what manner? He was distracted and didn't see the truck? Or did a 'peace-loving, proffitering, no-good-civilian' run him down while driving said truck?

Back