Blairs Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main question is:

Why, if Hobbes was a full colonel, as can be seen plainly in the card game sequences, in WC2, is he a Lieutenant Colonel in WC3?

Why, if Hobbes was a full colonel, as can be seen plainly in the card game sequences, in WC2, is he a Lieutenant Colonel in WC3?

There's no story behind it that we know of. All we know about Hobbes is that after serving with Special Operations he was made Wing Commander of the TCS Wolfhound. Tolwyn moved him to the Victory shortly before Blair (as part of his plan for the Behemoth), originally assigned as the XO for 36 FW. He opted to stop flying and was made the carrier's first officer. (And then WC3 happens).

As for his rank in WC2... all of my supplemental notes say he was a Lieutenant Colonel then. It's probably just antoher case of the WC2 rank graphics being wildly inconsistent - look at Captain-slash-Lieutenant Jason Bondarevsky. :)

Ah, its just that he's never referred to as Lieutenant Colonel once in the entirety of WC2.

And I don't remember seing Bear wearing Captain's insignia, where is that from?

I don't think he's referred to as Lt. Col. in dialogue in WC3, either (or that anyone ever is). I think saying 'Colonel' is the norm for a light colonel, like how 'admiral' can referr to any number of stars.

Bear wears Captains bars in SO1, but is referred to as Lieutenant.

Remember, Bear had naval ranking in End Run. A full lieutenant in the navy wears the same insignia as a Captain in the space forces.

Sure wasn't. and he was still in the SF in ER, he was the WC of the Tarawa. He became the ship's captain after everyone else died.

No it wasn't. End Run I believe was written in 1993, only a year after SO1 came out. And SO1 and End Run take place in the same year game wise, so we can assume that he happened to be a pilot who for some reason was using naval ranks. He reffered to himself as Lieutenant in SO1, but was wearing Captain's insignia, so the only 'logical' explination is that he was a Naval Lieutenant, which is equivalent to a SF Captain. In End Run, he's a Lieutenant Commander in charge of the fighter wing on the Tarawa and equivalent to a Major.

I don't think it's so clear cut, for two reasons:

* Wing Commander uses different rank insignias than 'real life', even in WC1 and 2. The Captain's bars that Bear (or Shadow) wear are gold rather than silver, for instance.

* There's some confusion as to Navy v. Space Forces ranks. Victory Streak lists both 2nd Lieutenant and 1st Lieutenant as O3 grades equivalent to Space Forces Captain.

It can't just be assumed that Bear was wearing a navy insignia because when SO1 came out, End Run hadn't been written yet. What you have is another case of the characters' graphics not matching up the story material.

It is possible that in End Run he was a Naval Lieutenant to cover that up but I highly doubt that Bear was intended to be a naval officer in SO1.

I didn't want Blair to die at all, dunno about Hawk, I thought he was such a good character in WC4, but he turned all bad when he saw kilrathi! Although he did in WC4 and he didn't seem as bothered!

Avenger said:
I didn't want Blair to die at all, dunno about Hawk, I thought he was such a good character in WC4, but he turned all bad when he saw kilrathi! Although he did in WC4 and he didn't seem as bothered!

What do you mean? Hawk wanted nothing to do w/ the Kilrathi in WC4. Hawk signed his death warrent in the story line, when he decided he wanted to kill the cats you went to save, at that point I knew either way he was gonna die. Blair... I didnt expect... I would rather have seen him retire comfortably.

People seem to be not so sure if Blair died, well please can i put this to your attention....? The wormhole gate blew up, presumeably with Blair inside it? Meaning that that bug died aswell, thats the only good thing about that bit! :(

True. The situation was very different on WCIV as well. Those were "peaceful" Kilrathi, unlike the pirates of WCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back