Armada?

Plus, using only heavy fighters would eliminate the problem of needing to build one in order to take out an enemy carrier.

Most of them are from different people. At one point (in the 'chat transcript') they mention that someone named "Jacorski" is in charge (and presumably wrote the 'commanders log' entries at the start).

Of course we now know that Blair was not sent on that mission. Maybe this Jackorsky was some guy we never saw but who was always there, just behind Blair. Or something.

Jeannette Deveraux Jackorski??
It was funny though, how the Lex plod through SECTOR after SECTOR of empty space, destroying kilrathi carriers that were equiped just like her, leaving numerous mines, shipyards, transports and fighters behind... And what the heck was it supposed to do with the First Fleet of the Claw when it got to Kilrah? No amount of Phantons and Wraiths would be enough to deal with the Kiranka Imperial Fleet.

BTW, did anyone else notice how the Phanton is precisely the fore half of the Banshee welded to the aft half of the Wraith? And that the Demon was from the same family?

I don't think the 'campaign' mode is the story of Armada - that's just ordinary warfare that's going on. Afterall, you can lose five carriers and still eventually reach Kilrah. :) The 'story' of the Lexingtons last days is probably best told in the Armada Gauntlet Mode...

I don't think the back of the Wraith is the same as the Banshee. But the Banshee, Demon, Phantom and SWC Scimitar are all based on the same concept. (The only *intentional* relationship there is the SWC Scimitar -> Phantom. The Phantom is supposed to seem like an uprated Scimitar. That you can't see out of.)

ChrisReid said:
Hmm.. I thought each value had a percentage chance of beating a ship of another type. The game started pairing up the individual ships behind the scenes the statistically weaker ships would start falling by the wayside. But because of the calculations, it made much more sense to only use the heavy Heavy Fighters. I'll have to look up the exact details.

Yeah, I hated the algorithim thing...one time for pure curiousity I tried the quick combat. It sucked...miserably. I sent 93 arrows against a Kilrathi task force of 8 Gothri, 3 something and 2 something else's and the quick combat decided all my arrows were obliterated while inflicting only 3 casualties...that's not very realistic. I don't care how good a pilot you are...going against 93 arrows is going to rip you apart...

Maj.Striker said:
Yeah, I hated the algorithim thing...one time for pure curiousity I tried the quick combat. It sucked...miserably. I sent 93 arrows against a Kilrathi task force of 8 Gothri, 3 something and 2 something else's and the quick combat decided all my arrows were obliterated while inflicting only 3 casualties...that's not very realistic. I don't care how good a pilot you are...going against 93 arrows is going to rip you apart...
Not if you're me :p

If you 'play out' that battle the Kilrathi will probably win too - because it'll be two Goran v. two Arrows, repeat ad naseum.

No, you won't, due to the reasons presented by loaf above. But if we had anyway of simultaneously pitting 94 of ANY fighter against 6 of ANY other fighter of the same game, the 94 will obviously win. You can tackle one or two enemies, while there are 80 something shooting at you...

Edfilho said:
No, you won't, due to the reasons presented by loaf above. But if we had anyway of simultaneously pitting 94 of ANY fighter against 6 of ANY other fighter of the same game, the 94 will obviously win. You can tackle one or two enemies, while there are 80 something shooting at you...

that sounds like fun, wish it could happen. what about that patch hcl made a while ago for SO that allows like 250 ships at one nav point?

powell99 said:
hmm im gonna get armada soon it sounds good!

yeah, my copy should be arriving any day now

i used to play this game all the time back in the day. my reviews of it were somewhat mixed. yeah, sure, maybe the universe is "randomly generated" every time you play, but for some reason every game plays exactly the same way, so it gets repetitive. at one point i remember forgoing the battles altogether because they just seemed to waste time, and just go around and build mines and such. it was kind of fun to rape and pillage through space to kill earth, but still, it seemed a bit simplistic. some sort of rediculous formula was used to determine who won when fighting was turned off, and the strategy ai was painfully dumb.

however, i was also fortunate enough to have two computers in my home at that time (dad's workstation) and this game really did shine in multiplayer mode. i have fond memories of my german exchange student yelling at me at two in the morning, on a school night, when i chose to dogfight him with a dralthi. although the banshee very well may be the coolest bomber ever made, nothing quite beat the dralthi's cloaking device. i guess origin was trying to fill two nitches for its franchise that hadn't been done yet, but they pretty much failed miserably in one and succeeded in the other... unfortunately, due to the technology of the time, where they succeeded also happened to be the least accessable.

You're thinking of the Shok'lar (with the cloak). Confed had an equally effective weapon - the leech missiles on the Wraith.

(The addon, Proving Grounds, gave Confed an 'anti cloaking gun' that could be used to prevent the Shok'lar from using its cloak... the eternal balance of the universe marches on.)

Back