Armada?

I wish I could get it to run on my machine. I'd love to play against someone.

I remember that I was a little dissappointed. Your fighters didn't rely on your carrier. They could dock there, but they could just float around from system to system indefinitely with no support. You didn't send them on actual "missions", but rather used them in the same manner as chess pieces.

An interesting option you had was to turn off the combat mode. Not only did the game go more quickly, but you couldn't rely on your flying skills to make up for the enemy out-thinking you.

The Banshee remains my favorite bomber of all the WC games.

The problem with turning off combat (Quick Combat, IIRC) was that the algorithm for it was stupid. Basically, it assigns a number value to a fighter based on its class (light, medium, or heavy), and whichever force had the lower combined value lost, with a roll of the dice determining losses for the winning side.

You can play Armada in 3 ways:
a) Gauntlet mode. Only fighting
b) Strategy mode. Only the strategy part, fighting is done by the PC.
c) Strategy node. You hop into the cockpit of one ship. Only 2 vs 2 ships visible in battle. Rest simulated as in pure strategy. If you are downed and some friendly ships remain you can hop back into cockpit. MUCH too easy if you fly well ;)

All in all Armada is nice, but not my top of the line pick for WC.

I liked Armada because it gave you the chance to play as the Kilrathi (yeah, flying a stealth fighter!) and that strategy mode was kind of cool. Plus a really nice manual.
We shouldn't forget that the Gauntlet mode has a mini stroyline.

Even cooler! :)

Nah, not as cool as in Academy as I found. Mainly because you can't leech the enemy carrier and I found her gun position a bit awkward. OTOH, I found the Jrathek to be better than in Academy. But you'll see for yourself.

I saw a screenshot from armada where the player was piloting a kilrathi fighter with at least six guns.
after visiting the ship database i saw that almost all fighters had 6 guns.
this is kinda confusing because
In WC2-WC3, the figthers mostly have 2-5.

A wraith with 6 reaper cannons would be fun.

Armada did go crazy on some stats. just look at the speeds and missile loadouts too. Amazing.

Besides the option of flying or not, there were also two types of strat game: A single sector or the Armada option, were you fought from sector to sector until you got to kilrah or earth. THe real difference is that it lasted longer...

Yeah, fighters could use jump engines and also just float there... And it is not really an ARMADA considering there were no other capships besides your CV. But it was cool nevertheless.

Although I'd love to get some Destroyers, Frigates, Corvettes, Cruisers and the like.

I was annoyed that only 2 capships were available in armada (carrier and transport)

It would have been nice to command a small armada...

Edfilho said:
Besides the option of flying or not, there were also two types of strat game: A single sector or the Armada option, were you fought from sector to sector until you got to kilrah or earth. THe real difference is that it lasted longer...

and when you reached Kilrah/Earth.. was there something notable? or does the ending leave room for WC3?

HammerHead said:
and when you reached Kilrah/Earth.. was there something notable? or does the ending leave room for WC3?

I don't think there was room, I really cannot remember though.

When you defeat your opponent's final task force, you see their carrier blow up, then you see an equally short animation showing their planet blowing up. No reference to how it was done. Just a 5 second shot (or so) of the planet blowing up.

Armada was designed for its multiplayer mode. All of the single player stuff was a late-on realization that you couldn't market a modem-only game in 1994. Armada is more fun than beans if you have someone to play against and a method by which to play with them.

IIRC, the Voices of War manual refers to a human character through logs and stuff. Is this supposed to be Blair? I seem to remember evidence that linked the character to the player character in WC1/2. Was it supposed to be back then that Blair was on the Lexington?

But then, I remember the character in the manual recieved a letter from his son, so it couldn't have been Blair, could it? (Aside from the fact that he couldn't have been on that ship anyway)

(I'm also sure this question has been brought up before, sorry!)

Hehe, don't worry, it's a good question. Both the Academy and Armada manuals were written to 'seem like' the characters could be the character from WC1 and 2... they both knew Tolwyn/Angel/Maniac/etc and felt the same way about them as 'we' did. No one is really sure *why* they did this, since it was never the intention of either game to continue Blair's 'story'. The Academy guy had a name straight in the manual (Col. Lombard) and the Armada guy had a name implied at one point in Voices of War (Jacorski).

(Short answer: Since WC3 was already done its film shoot when Armada was developed, they certainly did not ever intend for it to be Blair.)

Death said:
The problem with turning off combat (Quick Combat, IIRC) was that the algorithm for it was stupid. Basically, it assigns a number value to a fighter based on its class (light, medium, or heavy), and whichever force had the lower combined value lost, with a roll of the dice determining losses for the winning side.

Hmm.. I thought each value had a percentage chance of beating a ship of another type. The game started pairing up the individual ships behind the scenes the statistically weaker ships would start falling by the wayside. But because of the calculations, it made much more sense to only use the heavy Heavy Fighters. I'll have to look up the exact details.

Back