Alpha Test Game 5

Hm, Mako shouldn't have reserved any shots. I'm wondering where that came from...? It's right there in the field report.

Hm, Mako shouldn't have reserved any shots. I'm wondering where that came from...? It's right there in the field report.
Shots from Mako to Odin were opportunity fire, which, if I understood your rules correctly, limits you to only using 1 refire. The game forcefully enforces this; when you try to make an opportunity shot, you'll notice the refire dropdown grey out (or maybe it sets to 1, I can't recall, but regardless it does give you a visual indication within the combat phase orders window if you're making an opportunity shot). I can make it more explicit if you want.

Since you only use 1 refire, the game automatically puts the others aside as potential 'reserved' shots for point defence.

Code wise, this is 'behaving as intended' in that it is 'behaving correctly as coded'. If I've misinterpreted this rule, let me know; I'm surprised you haven't noticed this yet, its' been going on since the start of WCTOO.

Did the game hang? I submitted my turn half a day ago (being the last one to do so, according to the list) and I'm not sure it should take the engine so long to process the orders.

Getting this message at 1:42 PM 4/1/2012 when I try to access either Game 5 or Game 7:

Fatal error: Cannot access private property ship::$afterburner_speed in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/combat_functions.php on line 34

Did the game hang? I submitted my turn half a day ago (being the last one to do so, according to the list) and I'm not sure it should take the engine so long to process the orders.
Yep, that fatal error will hang it.

Getting this message at 1:42 PM 4/1/2012 when I try to access either Game 5 or Game 7:

Fatal error: Cannot access private property ship::$afterburner_speed in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/combat_functions.php on line 34
Good catch. I've found and fixed the problem. Also lead to, and found a few other undiscovered issues related to the above. Turn kicked over now.

I see one of Ironduke's FoFs overlaid on Odin, targeting nothing - is this the same missile that just hit, or is this something else that didn't register a miss?

Shots from Mako to Odin were opportunity fire (...).
Darn... Yeah, of course. Everything makes sense now. :p

I can make it more explicit if you want.
That'd be good. Just put an opportunity fire text next to the greyed out refires or something.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed this yet, its' been going on since the start of WCTOO.
For shame! ;) I probably forgot it over the course of the last few months...

Regarding that FF missile: My memory may be failing me, but I think I only launched one FF last CP.

Hm. That missile raised an idea - is it practical to code in a Seether-style "ride the shockwave" move to get extra distance from an afterburn started from the same hex as an unexploded missile or mine? Thinking evasion phase, or the rare instance like Odin is in, or of course mines.

That'd be good. Just put an opportunity fire text next to the greyed out refires or something.
Ask and you shall receive; I've tentatively coded in a UI improvement to the combat phase to reflect this. I'll let you guys tell me if this is obvious. (You'll only see a difference if you're making an opportunity shot).

While on the topic, we're getting very very close to finishing my goals for Phase 5 (which is "all rules coded, if not 100% debugged). Once we move onto phase 6, I'm going to initially work on an in-game editor for 'game-runners' to allow on-the-fly editing of ships, and eventually a set of game-building tools. While working on this, I also hope to have Phase 6 include UI improvements/bug fixes. This will be when you guys can suggest things like the above, ways to make field reports better, etc. Start generally thinking on it, although we may be a month or so out from when I really dive into it.

Hm. That missile raised an idea - is it practical to code in a Seether-style "ride the shockwave" move to get extra distance from an afterburn started from the same hex as an unexploded missile or mine? Thinking evasion phase, or the rare instance like Odin is in, or of course mines.
Well, I could probably code something, but I'd need ironduke to work out the rules/game mechanic specifics first. Keep this idea aside for now; I haven't finished coding in everything he had in the base rules, although we're close, but I can consider "new" features like this only once we're through the initial list.

I'm sorry about the massive delay just now. I sent orders for other ships and waited with Cupcake for tailing results and kind of forgot all about it...

So, a suggestion: The system could send messages when a ship tailed by the player's ship sent it's movement orders, to prevent situations like this.

Pros: It reminds the tailing player that he should (probably) move his ship

Cons: It can lead to spamming with a lot of ships.

Sorry it took so long for me to take my turn. I had a bit of a breakdown last week and only starting to get back on my feet.

I'm sorry about the massive delay just now. I sent orders for other ships and waited with Cupcake for tailing results and kind of forgot all about it...

So, a suggestion: The system could send messages when a ship tailed by the player's ship sent it's movement orders, to prevent situations like this.

Pros: It reminds the tailing player that he should (probably) move his ship

Cons: It can lead to spamming with a lot of ships.

Hummungus, great suggestion. "Soon" once we're done debugging the current game issues, I plan to move it on to the Phase 6 development. My first goal will be a map editor, but my second goal will be to code in all the user interface suggestions you guys have been collecting. To avoid your 'cons' we could have it wait until all your ships that need tailing are in (although we might have problems if we've daisy-chained tailing in a big circle or something). Anyway, I'm sure there is a solution, keep thinking on it, and I can definitely implement something like what you are suggesting, but it isn't a high short term priority, so remind me of it later if I don't get back to it!

And it's now been a month since I posted that...Baby Fark hasn't signed in for over 70 days; I suggest we either skip his turn, find somebody to take over his ships or simply have them all spontaneously detonate.

I have spoken with BabyFarkMcgeeZax, and he is willing to either have his ships blow up or have someone take them over.

Given we've already had a 70+ day delay, I'll give this one week. First currently non-game 5 pilot (be them new or already playing WCTOO) who wants the ships, as they are, may post here to claim them. (If you're a new pilot, please make an account on the WCTOO website). After 7 days, I'll allow existing game-5 pilots to take them on, and after that, I'll blow them up.

Personally, I'd blow them up after the first seven days; I wouldn't give anybody who's already playing the game a shot at 'em ('cause I know I could cause some serious havoc with six fighters). Just my opinion.

Okay I was moving for the last week, and I finally have my PC up and running. I'll blow up the ships tomorrow when I have a moment, and the game can continue.

Back