All time favorites

For the bugs representing a different good, perhaps, perhaps not. Listening to the game dialogue, they are certainly out for conquest. To them that is their sole purpose for existing. The good they're looking out for, is their own.

sounds like humans to me

sorry but i dont know how to quote properly. and i never saw the word nephilim in the manual. maybe us poor brits never got the same manual as everyone else

The nephilim are the mythical Old Testament descendants of angels and humans. They are the reason Jehova wiped out everybody but Noah and his family and are the "men of legend and reknown". Goliath was the last of their kind. From tech FS.
Now you know

The "Nephilim" to me are like the Zerg almost... it seems that they either have a population exceeding that of Terrans to unimaginable lengths, or they are being created. Did they then get ahold of the human genome to help "perfect" or add to their race, like the borg would assimilate a species?

Of course, no one can answer that because the facts haven't been laid out... but it's something to think about.

Personally, I'm wondering about the apparent similarities between Nephilim and Steltek engineering. Or maybe I've just seen one too many glowing green orbs on cap ships. :)

Since the first time I saw a screenshot of the Nephilim, I had a gut feeling that they were related to the Stelteks. Guess we'll never know because they'll never be another game.

None of the people related to the making of the game has indicated there'd ever be a Steltek link.

No, but who knows? They might not have realized the similarities, then later thought... "Hey. That's a good idea."

you know, for a race that "visited" the kilrathi during their stone age, the bugs sould have so much advaced tecnology that ConFed sould not even touch thoses ships they were flying, it just a gess but if the Bugs found a seltek tecnology depot a very long time and are still figure it out, that could explain why the ships look so alike.

It certainly would explain it... except that because there are no similarities, there's nothing to explain :).

The bugs must have some serious problems because they really should be far ahead of anything we have ever seen before

Or the bugs might have simply hit the wall which hampers progress, because they are locked in a state of constant warfare. Development might have become stagnant since they are perpetually in conflict with some other race.

Need to develop might be another factor. If they've relatively crushed every race they encountered, then they may have felt their superiority was assured. That is until they ran into the Midway. :)

Development might have become stagnant since they are perpetually in conflict with some other race.
No... if that was the case, then development would be anything but stagnant.

War is something that acts as a catalyst for improvement both technilogically and socially. War spurs scientific ingenius by giving it a goal, and by allowing for and increased appropriation of funds. Very many of our modern day items came straight out of WWII alone. Radar, Penicillin, Teflon, synthetic rubber, jet engines, space capable rockets, the Computer, the wireliss phone, ect ect ad nauseum.

I've thought about that... the bugs should have technology that well surpasses Confed's... however, as in the manual, they have not proven their technological superiority. And they certainly haven't in the game. In fact, unless you're flying an Excalibur, Confed's ships are more durable than the bugs are.

But maybe the bugs' ships are techno-organic... I don't know. It may make them more frail.

The bugs were a disappointing joke. I hate watching the movies where everyone is going "oh god we're doomed" and "they are death incarnate" and then you fight worthless ships like the lampreys. And having 5 times the numbers means nothing when you can easily kill 10 times as many ships.

Maybe the laughabale Prophecy AI escapes your reasoning?:) After all, a species would have to be completly stupid if it wouldn't use superior numbers to it's advantage, and the Nephilim aren't doing that too well.

But come on, with ships like the Krakens and Tiamats, many carriers similar in size and capabilities to a Midway class, and other powerfull ships, the Nephilim should be kicking the crap out of Confed... They're definetly much more dangerous than the Kilrathi were.

But you have to consider the AI as part of the game. ANY game that says the enemies are super deadly then you kill them by the thousands by yourself is horrible and destroys any sense of disbelief. I never felt threatened and got bored with the constant chattering about the ultimate foe. If Origin could make good AI for WC4, they should have for WCP also. A story about an ultimate menace that dies by the thousands isn't a story at all.

True, certainly the talk about a new terefying aliens wasn't justified by their AI.

But AI asside, Nephilim should kick our butts.:)

AI aside, note that most Nephilem guns have very slow bolt speed. This means that even if the Nephilem were hyper-accurate, they'd still have an unfair disadvantage in that you, the player, have an extra second or two to react and change course.
Sometimes, it seems to me that the Kilrathi in WCP were tougher opponents than the Nephilem... I suspect that the above is the reason.

Back