Admiral Blair???

Oh God, this was debated to death like , what,a kazillion times?
They disappeared because they were the symbol of BL, they were expensive, modern sensors could punch through their cloak so it was worthless... am I forgetting something?
And I think they weren't ugly, they had that, how should I say, POWERFUL look. Hellcat, now there's an ugly ship...:D

That is a matter of personal opinion. I'll leave it to you.
And I always thought the Dragon was like a symbol for BL.

Dragons were pretty decent fighters (though looks wise I've always thought they were pretty ugly too) but by the time of WC:p, the Vampire outclasses the Dragon throughly in speed, weapons, agility and firepower. I gues the best role for the Dragon (if it still exists) is a long ranger fighter bomber, like the British Beaufighters in WW2.

As for being a symbol of evil/The BL, the Dragons were built with Confed tech and Confed money. I guess once the BL had been officially shut down, it would be feasible to keep it operational, but the cost of building more would be pretty prohibitive.

Best, Raptor

Actually...

In the novel, Blair is promoted to a general, in WC3 manual this rank is equal to Commodore. thus the novel's ending it arguably close.

Flag Ranks
Commodore
Rear Admiral (lower half)
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Space Marshal

Well, in WC, there's no Rear Admiral (lower half) as Commodore replaces it. The next rank up is Rear Admiral.

I agree though, the novel does tie in pretty well with the "Instructor" ending of WC4 and with WC:p.

Best, Raptor

Yes, but in the 27th Century, Commodore will be the new way to say Rear Admiral (lower half.) :) Check out the Victory Streak for WC ranks. Flag ranks are pretty similar to the modern US, but Commodore is used in place of Rear Admiral Lower Half, and a Major General outranks a Lieutenant General.

Best, Raptor

Another cool thing about ranking and stuff..

You should really check the rest of the Commonwealth before you speak for everyone... We, in Canada, have Brigadier General, both in the Army and the Air Force.

Just a cool comment on the above. This is my first ever post on crius..

In Sweden we don't have Brigader generals.

Instead the Brigader General is known in the army as:
Colonel of the first degree

Yup, thats it.

Oh..By the way. If u can pronounce my name right, I'll send u 20 bucks...
good luck

:D

Sirithchilion

There, I pronounced it. 20 bucks please. As of January firrst, I'll accept € :cool:

Is Sweden also participating?

Well, I don't think Blair would ever become an Admiral.
He said that he is a better pilot than he is a staff officer, after all.

Originally posted by Talyn 83
Sirithchilion

There, I pronounced it. 20 bucks please. As of January firrst, I'll accept ? :cool:

Is Sweden also participating?

You've spelt his name. You haven't shown us you can pronounce it yet. :)

Best, Raptor

I'd agree, Blair would probably prefer to stay out of being much of a fleet man. However, after a while, everyone has to either retire, or move up in ranks. I don't believe he'd have went much past Commodore though. He'd probably quit first! :) Commodore was just an easy way to help promote his idea for the Midway. (Although I figure being the most famous hero of the Kilrathi War, not to mention the Black Lance fiasco, would probably help too.)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No, as the Black Lance is no longer around (Maniac, Prophecy)

I thought Dallas said that?

Eh, I thought Commodores were cut from the Commonwealth flag status for pay reasons. :) It used to be an honorary title, confered to captains of temporary squadrons - guess not so anymore.

Quick question: what is the commonwealth? I don't mean to insult anyone, it's just that the only commonwealth I know is from Andromeda.

Well, the eqivalent RAF rank (Air Commodore) is a flag rank, so I would assume Commodore is as well. It's part of the normal RN chain of command (O7), slotting between Captain and Rear Admiral.

The Commonwealth is a grouping countries that used to be part of the British Empire, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada and a lot of African and South Asian countries.

Best, Raptor

hmm...

so the TCN does not use the new term "rear admiral lower half" nor do they use the rank"fleet admiral" but "commodore" and "space marshal" hmm....

Back