Admiral Blair???

iCe

Vice Admiral
When i downloaded the WC Movie Player, i put in a wc4 disc and started to browse it. I stumbled across a movie when Hawk walks in a confed uniform, and says that the black lance forces are ready. Blair the says to let them run a fighter sweep or a patrol. Hawk then says something like "yes ADMIRAL". Is there a plot in wc4 i haven't seen yet or is this just another "lost scene" ?

Thats the OTHER "Winning" end game to WC4. When you decide on whether to Flash-Pack the Ella Starbase, and you side with Hawk that civilian casulties are acceptable, you end up with Blair becoming a Confed Admiral instead of a training pilot.

Which raises the question: Which ending of the WC4 game is "official"? We know according to the TPOF novel that Blair doesn't become an Admiral, but nor does he become a training pilot who turns down the chance to be a general. So are neither of the endings of the game canon? Both? Bits of one and of the other? And if so, which bits? Thoughts?

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
Which raises the question: Which ending of the WC4 game is "official"? We know according to the TPOF novel that Blair doesn't become an Admiral, but nor does he become a training pilot who turns down the chance to be a general. So are neither of the endings of the game canon? Both? Bits of one and of the other? And if so, which bits? Thoughts?

Well...

Is there nothing that says that he couldn't have taken up his novel job (some sort of Confed - Borderworlds liason, iirc - but then again, its been a long time since I read it, and I never actually owned the novel), then later become a pilot trainer, and finally pushed through the Midway Project.
The only solid evidence either way would probably be that he flashpacked the Vesuvias in the novel.

Of course, my personal favorite outcome would be to ignore the career he picks up in the novel, and go with the flight trainer.
:D

But I don't think that option would be too popular around these parts.

Disclaimers: As mentioned above, its been a looooong time since I saw the novel. And as previously mentioned, I never had the chance to finish the WC4 game. So some of my information may be off.

Though, of course, it does with the Admiral one... :)

(If you're asking, I don't think Commodore is really a flag rank - it might be, in fact I think it is, but 'Commodore Admiral' sounds really, really stupid...)

Commodore is a Flag Rank, it says so in Victory Streak (and it's a flag rank outside of Wing Commander, as well). One would not be called a 'Commodore Admiral', I'm not sure why one would be. Rear Admiral is a flag rank and you don't call people 'Rear Admiral Admiral'.

TC

Well, on the Commonwealth side of the world, the next army rank up after Colonel is Brigadier. In the American system, as I understand it, a "general" is tacked on at the end to make the rank Brigadier General. :)

So, getting back to what I said earlier, the general consenus is that the "Instructor" ending is the canon ending, rather than the "Admiral" ending?

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
Well, on the Commonwealth side of the world, the next army rank up after Colonel is Brigadier. In the American system, as I understand it, a "general" is tacked on at the end to make the rank Brigadier General. :)
Best, Raptor

You should really check the rest of the Commonwealth before you speak for everyone... We, in Canada, have Brigadier General, both in the Army and the Air Force.
Army: http://www.dnd.ca/menu/insignia/arma_e.htm
Air Force: http://www.dnd.ca/menu/insignia/aira_e.htm

They're the same, so you don't really need to look at both...

TC

Hmz, i never flashed ella. Think i'll do that sometime. Does the story change a lot after that?

Well, Canada doesn't count, since you're so culturally interbred with the Americans . :) Seriously though, given the Commonwealth is so diverse, I *should* have said British/Australian/New Zealand, rather than Commonwealth. For the ranks used, see this chart comparing British and American ranks.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~degroot/anglomil.html

Flashpaking Ella doesn't make a differance in itself (apart from whether you have a Flashpak to use against the vesuvius or not), it's the *sum* of the decisions you make in the game that determine how Blair turns out. Side with Hawk more, and you end up as the Admiral.

Best, Raptor

So the guy Hawk was calling "Admiral" could really have been a Commodore? So the "Admiral" ending is canon as well?

Best, Raptor

I should learn never to argue with you, LOAF. :) So, it's pretty much certain that Blair never became an Admiral, and the BL are gone by the time of WC:p?

Best, Raptor

If the BL weren't gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones aboard Midway doing all the work. Hmm.. Too bad Dragons seemed to have completely dissapeared. Any reason for that exactly, or was it the cost?

Back