About Freelancer and stuff

S

Sirithchilion

Ok!

Since this will be my first topic, I will start with something disturbing or maybe provocative.

It's been awhile since Starlancer was released. All in all the, game has not been a box-office hit. Some would say it's because that graphics engine is to old, (or something), other would point out the cliche story off good versus bad, Americans/Soviets.

That raises a question about the general quality of Chris Roberts games, Conquest: Frontier Wars has also been moderetly recieved by the public as a, "nothing really special", game. By that they mean that there already is games like that on the market, in short nothing really new. (altough the game incoperated some good new features)

That leads me to the point of issue. We are all waiting for the game Freelancer to be released some time this year. But since we allready know of Chris Roberts recent work, (not wingcommander series), can we be sure of that the game will not be out of date, or simply put: nothing special?

But of course..there is really not many canditates for the kind of game that Freelancer promises to be. The only one I can think of is that Westwood game: Earth and Beyond.

I must point out that I do not automaticly rule out Freelancer as a out-of-date game. I just point to the fact that Starlancer and Conquest Frontier Wars were not so succesful because of previously mentioned facts.

So..I would be really interested to hear what the Crius community has to say about this issue.

Actually neither Starlancer nor Conquest were really Chris Roberts games - he just sort of put his name on the box. ;) Seriously: These games were designed by other people, while most of the Freelancer design is, as far as I know, Chris' work. But even here we have to consider that Chris left Digital Anvil some time ago, so who knows what they've changed since then.
But if you want to know why Freelancer is probably going to be something special: Just read a few previews and take a look at its new ideas...

Ciao
B.S.

Originally posted by Sirithchilion

Since this will be my first topic, I will start with something disturbing or maybe provocative.

Some would say it's because that graphics engine is to old, (or something), other would point out the cliche story off good versus bad, Americans/Soviets.

The Engine isn´t old, to be honest is one of the best engines right now, great graphics and effects, and doesn´t need a super machine too lokks very good.
But the story is a little lame.

[/i]
We are all waiting for the game Freelancer to be released some time this year
[/QUOTE]

No, not all of us, maybe Freelancer can be cancellled or not finished

Ehh, I'm not particularly looking forward to Freelancer -- my personal, unproven guess is that it'll be released for X-Box only, anyway.

Regardless, it's *not* a Chris Roberts game anymore -- he developed the original concept half a decade ago, and it's been 'cut down' since. The PR-speak from Microsoft when Chris left DA was that Freelancer as imagined was impossible, and that it would be "toned down". Which is to say they've turned it into a typical Privateer/Elite copy.

But heck, I'll keep my fingers crossed -- if it sells incredibly well, EA might bring back WC.

Essentially nothing is known about the game's story other then a few rumors. An official plot synopsis has not even been released yet. Virtually, all that is known is the basic setup -- the houses and such. Thus it is a little early to judge in that department. Still, the game has been under devolopment for so long one can only wonder how its shaping up.

I certainly hope the game is not canceled. Space sims are suffering as it is, and if we are ever to see another WC game, the genre is also going to have to become a profitable and popular one. Freelancer might be a masterpiece and the game to reinvent the genre. Or ... it could become one of the largest fiascos in gaming. And if E&B also turns out to be a flop. There goes the the idea of a glorious Wing revival right out the window-- atleast for a long long time.

With E&B there is going to be a monthly fee you pay to play it... I was looking foward to it until that little thing came up.

I can't wait for Freelancer, if only because of the promise of what it might offer. (I'd like to see if they pull through.) While it might not be a CR's game, at the very least, it might respawn an interest in Space Flight Sims.

As for the story, that's not entirely true. There has been a story in one of the Freelancer Vault sites, made from DA and Microsoft during one of the showcases. (Whether they change it is up in the air, however, as that was about 4 years ago.)

The war raged in the solar system, until an alien race appeared. It destroyed all mankind in the home system, however, mankind had sent colonies out further into uncharted space. (That's the Alliance, not the Coalition.) So one captain from the Alliance makes it out to them to inform them of the coming destuctive force.

However, as I said, that's still a pre-story, and is subject to a good amount of change/"prove poor Skyfire wrong so everyone can laugh at him" :) But I thought I'd share that with ya!

Freelancer Information

Heya! I'm a fan of both WC (as well as a lurker of these forums, heh) and FL, and I'd like to correct some statements made here about FL. I'll go from point to point, to hopefully clear up these misunderstandings!

But since we already know of Chris Roberts recent work, (not wingcommander series), can we be sure of that the game will not be out of date, or simply put: nothing special?

Chris Roberts had little to do with Conquest or Starlancer. They were made by different people (and even different companies! SL was 98% developed by Warthog in UK I believe). In fact, Starlancer was produced by Erin Roberts, not Chris Roberts. Freelancer has been mostly independant from both of these games, and I can guarantee FL will not be out of date, and there is a lot special about it!

But of course..there is really not many canditates for the kind of game that Freelancer promises to be. The only one I can think of is that Westwood game: Earth and Beyond.

Freelancer are E&B are ENTIRELY different. The only similiarities are that it takes place in space, in the future, it involves humans, and some combat. Everything else is almost entirely different, including the fact that E&B relies mostly on skill-less RPG elements like experiance and levels.

But even here we have to consider that Chris left Digital Anvil some time ago, so who knows what they've changed since then.

Not quite true. Phil Wattenbarger (the new producer who has replaced Roberts') is dedicated to making sure that FL stayes true to Roberts' original vision. He was also previously the lead designer, which said position is now being filled by Jörg Neumann, who is equally devoted to making sure FL is true to Roberts' vision. Trust me, FL is not in the hands of some careless newbies, they know what they're doing, and are doing a superb job thus far!

No, not all of us, maybe Freelancer can be cancelled or not finished

Most definitly not. It would be a huge business mistake to cancel FL at this point in development. Fact is, thousands of man hours and quite a good bit of money has been invested in FL, and who in their right mind (even Microsoft) would pull the plug? Besides, they have pledged to give FL all the money and time it needs to get finished right.

my personal, unproven guess is that it'll be released for X-Box only, anyway.

Don't worry, this is definitly not true. You should start reading up on what you talk about and not repeating what rumor-filled PCGamer and Voodooextreme will report before they even know if its true or not. Doing this can ruin someone's credibility. DA doesn't want to make FL X-box only, MS doesn't want to make it X-box only, and fact is, it won't be. Not only that, but the unique control method FL uses would make it near impossible to achieve with any effect on the awkward (and absurdly large) controllers the X-box has. (Speaking of the control method, before you go claiming it will suck, please read up on it here for a few minutes)!

Regardless, it's *not* a Chris Roberts game anymore -- he developed the original concept half a decade ago, and it's been 'cut down' since. The PR-speak from Microsoft when Chris left DA was that Freelancer as imagined was impossible, and that it would be "toned down". Which is to say they've turned it into a typical Privateer/Elite copy.

Regardless of what you read in PC Accelerator, it *IS* a Chris Roberts game, regardless the fact that he left a little while ago, and FL was late in development even then. Say, where did you hear that FL has been 'cut down'?! Thats news to me. The only thing thats been cut is the fifth house 'Hispania' and that was for time constraints. Besides, four houses are quite plenty. Again, I stress you start reading up on what you're talking about before you completely ruin your credibility! The PR-speak from Microsoft when Roberts left DA was that Freelancer would be given the money and time it needed to be finished as originally planned, quite the opposite of what you state. Would you point me to the press release that says FL will be cut back? Because it definitly hasn't been "toned down" lately, definitly not turning it into a typical Privateer/Elite copy, though I will admit FL borrows quite a bit from the concept of Privateer (less so from Elite). But the fact that you can trade, fly in space, and land on planets is merely a drop in the bucket. PLEASE take the time to inform yourself on the topic of discussion before someone actually believes this stuff.

But heck, I'll keep my fingers crossed -- if it sells incredibly well, EA might bring back WC.

Yes, of course, Sivar forbid somebody actually hopes the game succeedes for the game itself, and not the near-dead franchise from which it was born.

Essentially nothing is known about the game's story other then a few rumors. An official plot synopsis has not even been released yet. Virtually, all that is known is the basic setup -- the houses and such. Thus it is a little early to judge in that department. Still, the game has been under devolopment for so long one can only wonder how its shaping up.

Quite wrong. What we know is official, and I'm not going to bother to post it here (you can read up on it here if you so wish). It is in fact not too early to judge FL in that department. The game is nearing completion and pretty much everything concept-wise has already been made concrete. We also know this because the webmaster of Lancers Reactor has had hands-on experiance with the game on a trip to Austin to visit DA themselves. Yes, we can only wonder how its shaping up, but we also have a lot of evidence to support that it is in fact shaping up quite well!

certainly hope the game is not canceled. Space sims are suffering as it is, and if we are ever to see another WC game, the genre is also going to have to become a profitable and popular one. Freelancer might be a masterpiece and the game to reinvent the genre. Or ... it could become one of the largest fiascos in gaming. And if E&B also turns out to be a flop. There goes the the idea of a glorious Wing revival right out the window-- atleast for a long long time.

Don't worry about it being canceled, chances are it won't be for reasons I've already said. Besides, have you ever thought that FL's success could ignite the growth of the Lancer series and make everyone forget about WC? It seems EA already has...

With E&B there is going to be a monthly fee you pay to play it... I was looking foward to it until that little thing came up.

Again, like I've said before, E&B is not comparable to FL at all, nor is Independance War 2, both in quality (as far as features and new ideas go) and the people developing it, not to mention actual game type. After all, E&B is just a RPG in space.

can't wait for Freelancer, if only because of the promise of what it might offer. (I'd like to see if they pull through.) While it might not be a CR's game, at the very least, it might respawn an interest in Space Flight Sims.

Why not look forward to Freelancer FOR Freelancer? And where did you get the idea that it isn't Roberts' game anymore? As I said earlier, FL STILL has Roberts' spirit in it ;) And the fact is, there wasn't enough time between when he left and now (it is nearing completion) to change anything major.

As for the story, that's not entirely true. There has been a story in one of the Freelancer Vault sites, made from DA and Microsoft during one of the showcases. (Whether they change it is up in the air, however, as that was about 4 years ago.)

Like I've said, pretty much everything concept-wise can not be changed now, so what we do know is pretty much what will be in the final game. Besides, we have received a lot more info since four years ago :rolleyes:

However, as I said, that's still a pre-story, and is subject to a good amount of change

Not quite. It is subject to stay as it is! Since the game is nearing completion (as I've said a few times before) this isn't likely to change.
Anyways, that about covers it. I'd really like everyone who is looking forward to Freelancer to come to TLR and kill the time with us until it comes out! I'd also like to ask that everybody read up on their topic of discussion before they go blabbing about it. Stating rumors as fact ruins credibility and hurts the reputation of the said game. You would be REALLY pissed if a new WC game was in development and people went around stating mistruths and dissing it when it would just take five minutes to read a FAQ and have their information straight.

-Tachyon

Salutations

My hat of to Tachyon for a very detailed and hopeful assesment of the Freelancer situation.

But I still have my doubts....Quite logical since I havent played the game yet. And I must admitt that my interest in the game diminishes with every new game titel that appears on the marcet.

It seems as the Freelancer I've dreamed of, (yes dreamed), is just too far away to be reckon with as the THE SCI-FI gaming experience.

Also..about that Chris Roberts bit. I didnt even know his diminished importance to the starlancer/conquest projects.

Tachyon Quote
and who in their right mind (even Microsoft) would pull the plug?

Don't underestimate the stupidity of Microsoft. You would be suprised......

I'm sure some of you old timers can appreciate the irony of me facing off with a fanboy...

I'll ignore the various 'WC is dead' trollings. Chris has the TV show, EA is interested in another game -- we'll laugh about it later.

I've run a major Wing Commander news site for five years now -- from WCHS before WC4 to the CIC today. I've dealt with a whole lot of PR people, and anything I said below is based on my experience thereof -- not "what I read in PC Accelerator". A year ago (or so) when Microsoft bought DA, their man (Ed Fries?) went around telling everyone that Freelancer-as-envisioned was "too ambitious". We spoke to him with the CIC. As we no longer report on Freelancer, I no longer follow the news -- anything I know about it is from casual conversation with friends who are WC vets now with or formerly at DA... not from reading print mags (which, incidentally, are about a gazillion times more reliable news sources than whackos on the internet). (Re: your TLR quote -- the CIC staff (myself particularly) has been to Austin, too... we've been to DA... several times, and we've seen their games in development. To quote WC, we're not scrubs out here.)

There's absolutely no reason to believe what companies tell you -- Wing Commander IV was hailed as an amazing FMV-based game, the most expensive ever! Whereas in reality it cost Electronic Arts a whole lot of money and pretty much ruined the franchise. Chris Roberts voluntarily left DA and stayed on as a "consultant" for Freelancer... he was gotten rid of for wasting Microsoft's money on the Wing Commander movie. You *know* that StarLancer isn't "a Chris Roberts game", so why do you take everything else at face value from the source that made the same claim?

As for my X-Box quote -- you certainly did a wonderful job of ignoring that I specifically stated that it was an unproven guess... but lets look at the facts: Microsoft bought Digital Anvil as part of their mass buy-up of smaller game development companies. In the cases of the other titles in development at companies purchased by DA, they've been turned into X-Box games despite promises otherwise. Enjoying Halo on your PC? No, despite Microsoft's promise that their purchase of Bungie(?) wouldn't affect the game. They've clearly bought DA as another X-Box shop -- they're developing at least two X-Box titles through the company right now, and they even purchased more real estate Austin to host one of said teams... My bet would be that Microsoft will either release Freelancer as an X-Box title or that they simply have no faith in it and have wasted too much money to get out now (Ultima IX, anyone?).

So what's the difference between our two first posts? I didn't claim to be the last word or provide absolute facts -- you did. You're defending a game that isn't out yet -- you're a fan boy. Why? DA has no wonderful track record. There are certainly experienced people on the Freelancer team (Prophecy's director, for instance), but no one your average gamer would recognize a history of quality behind. Why spend time trolling WC and wasting away defending something you haven't played yet?

Furthermore, in response to one of your other points, I am absolutely *not* interested in Freelancer for Freelancer. I'd like to see it popularize the genre again -- I have no reason not to *want* it to succeed (quite the opposite)... but I can't blindly ignore the facts as presented.

Anyone who doesn't see the Daikatana paralellism in Freelancer is a fucking moron, and should be put to sleep.

Ok..

OK LOAF!

Since I'm too hungover to do anything of social value, including that of reading posts correctly, I hope I did not cause an "internationel incident" here with my thread starter.

What I read from tachyon made some sense, but as I said...I don't have the facts anyway.

:D

Question.

There's a lot of comments about Earth and Beyond in the posts below. Jumpgate isn't mentioned at all. How is Freelancer (as presented to date) similar to and different from Jumpgate?
Just curious.

FL Information

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know a conflict of fact and your opinion would spark such a urge to call me a trolling fan-boy, but nevertheless...

I'm sure some of you old timers can appreciate the irony of me facing off with a fanboy...

Don't try to turn this into the self-righteous fanboy vs. the stupid n00b who doesn't know a good game from his mother's ass. I can't believe you have this attitude then have the gaul to call this a "friendly argument". Besides, calling each other fanboys is moot since almost everybody here is a fanboy, or they obviously wouldn't bother coming here.

I'll ignore the various 'WC is dead' trollings.

I never said WC was for 100% sure dead, I'd love for there to be some more sequals, but since there hasn't been an official WC product released to the public since early '99, I seriously doubt there will be anymore, and you can't tell me that any of you have doubts.

I've run a major Wing Commander news site for five years now -- from WCHS before WC4 to the CIC today. I've dealt with a whole lot of PR people, and anything I said below is based on my experience thereof -- not "what I read in PC Accelerator". A year ago (or so) when Microsoft bought DA, their man (Ed Fries?) went around telling everyone that Freelancer-as-envisioned was "too ambitious". We spoke to him with the CIC. As we no longer report on Freelancer, I no longer follow the news.

Lets leave your ego out of this for a bit, ok? Everybody knows all that crap :p Anyways, you openly admit that you no longer follow the news, though you claim that Freelancer has been "cut back" and could not live up to it's original vision. Ok, so you read the news a while back, but you still claim that it has been cut back and what not. Have you even bothered to check up on it? Obviously not, or you would have known that it is progressing quite well as I state.

anything I know about it is from casual conversation with friends who are WC vets now with or formerly at DA... not from reading print mags (which, incidentally, are about a gazillion times more reliable news sources than whackos on the internet). (Re: your TLR quote -- the CIC staff (myself particularly) has been to Austin, too... we've been to DA... several times, and we've seen their games in development.

Casual conversation is hardly a reliable source of information. Again, please tell me why you can call me a whacko yet call this a casual debate? Oh please... When was the last time you and your merry band of CIC'ers have been to DA? Did you get an interview? Did you write up a preview? Did you get to play Freelancer itself? In the last six months? Games in development are different from games that are almost done. Back to what I guess the main point is here, I may be less reliable than some print mag, but I'm not asking anybody to take my word for it. Simply do yourself a favor and go read up on it. It only takes like ten minutes and will save a lot of our time in the end.

There's absolutely no reason to believe what companies tell you -- Wing Commander IV was hailed as an amazing FMV-based game, the most expensive ever! Whereas in reality it cost Electronic Arts a whole lot of money and pretty much ruined the franchise. Chris Roberts voluntarily left DA and stayed on as a "consultant" for Freelancer... he was gotten rid of for wasting Microsoft's money on the Wing Commander movie. You *know* that StarLancer isn't "a Chris Roberts game", so why do you take everything else at face value from the source that made the same claim?

Ah yes, of course we have to be paranoid, trust no one, etc. Thats why we go to E3 and see for ourselves, go to Austin and preview it with our (well, his) own eyes. As for Starlancer, I'm obviously not taking everything at face value if they claimed Freelancer will be cut back(read: old news) yet I'm saying it hasn't happened, and obviously I wouldn't say it if I and others didn't believe it to be true.
As for Roberts' departure, there were more possible reasons, but I won't go into that here.

As for my X-Box quote -- you certainly did a wonderful job of ignoring that I specifically stated that it was an unproven guess... but lets look at the facts: Microsoft bought Digital Anvil as part of their mass buy-up of smaller game development companies. In the cases of the other titles in development at companies purchased by DA, they've been turned into X-Box games despite promises otherwise. Enjoying Halo on your PC? No, despite Microsoft's promise that their purchase of Bungie(?) wouldn't affect the game. They've clearly bought DA as another X-Box shop -- they're developing at least two X-Box titles through the company right now, and they even purchased more real estate Austin to host one of said teams... My bet would be that Microsoft will either release Freelancer as an X-Box title or that they simply have no faith in it and have wasted too much money to get out now (Ultima IX, anyone?)

Of course its your opinion, but when the highly respected webmaster of the only surving WC site says something, surely its true! So if someone thinks its true, they won't bother with Freelancer, and that only hurts it, either by them not buying it or not joining the community, which could stand to grow. Besides, like I've said, making Freelancer an X-box title at this moment would be impossible. Why? Read up.

Regardless, it's *not* a Chris Roberts game anymore -- he developed the original concept half a decade ago, and it's been 'cut down' since.

Excuse me, but this does not say "my opinion only" or anything similiar. You simply stated untruths as fact, and its right there for everyone to see. Its a little late to back out :D
Which is to say they've turned it into a typical Privateer/Elite copy.
Again, you have no proof of this, so why bother saying it? It sure doesn't look like opinion to me.

if it sells incredibly well, EA might bring back WC.

Don't get your hopes up. Besides, why would somebody want to buy a watered-down Freelancer clone?

Anyone who doesn't see the Daikatana paralellism in Freelancer is a fucking moron, and should be put to sleep.

The paralellism is that its been delayed a while. Lots of games have been delayed. As lots of games have space and humans in them. Perhapse you should be put to sleep.

Don't worry about it, Sirithchilion -- just friendly debate.

Blatant lie. I don't appreciate being called a trolling fanboy, which certainly isn't friendly.

There's a lot of comments about Earth and Beyond in the posts below. Jumpgate isn't mentioned at all. How is Freelancer (as presented to date) similar to and different from Jumpgate?

Lots of ways! The gameplay mechanics of Freelancer are totally different from any other space flight sim on the market, such as the neuronet, freeform universe, dynamic at that, and sheer fun factor Freelancer promises. Jumpgate didn't deliver, its rather boring. Besides, its a whole different genre - online only. Freelancer focuses on the single player aspects, such as story and character development.

I can continue on for a long time, as long as you keep obviously lying. But I recomend you try to learn all you can before your next round of insults!

Re: FL Information

In response to question regarding comparison between Freelancer and Jumpgate...

Originally posted by Tachyon
Lots of ways! The gameplay mechanics of Freelancer are totally different from any other space flight sim on the market, such as the neuronet, freeform universe, dynamic at that, and sheer fun factor Freelancer promises. Jumpgate didn't deliver, its rather boring. Besides, its a whole different genre - online only. Freelancer focuses on the single player aspects, such as story and character development.

When you have to say that 'fun factor' is a difference in an unreleased game, you're reaching...
I'd recommend you not claim 'fun factor' as a difference until the game is actually out. Otherwise, you sound like a corporate mouthpiece (you're not a corporate mouthpiece, are you?).
Neuronet sounds like a comm device similar to the news networks in most games. What's so special about it?
Jumpgate is dynamic. Change may not be instantaneous, but the economy is largely based on at what rate traffic can come through, the system logs who 'controls' (via beacons) the various areas for amounts of time, and new additions (and new facilities) have become available based strictly on player actions (delivery of supplies).
Finally, with regards to the play experience...
My understanding of Freelancer is that there will be a single player campaign, and then after that's finished you can play it on-line. In short, the on-line version is only loosely tied to the single-play version. Once single-play is over, character development only continues as you personally choose to force the issue, much as in any MMOG.

Originally posted by Tachyon
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know a conflict of fact and your opinion would spark such a urge to call me a trolling fan-boy, but nevertheless...

Don't get your hopes up. Besides, why would somebody want to buy a watered-down Freelancer clone?

It has nothing to do with opinion. It's got something to do with the fact that you're talking shit about WC and talking out of your ass in general.

BTW, if you're planning on staying on crius, I suggest you do not do said stuff anymore and you don't even think about trying to talk shit to your elders. LOAF's not the only person your pissing off around here. I haven't been around here long, but I know this doesn't fly (and if it does, not very easily and not very long).

I was a bit like you in the beginning but I soon realised it was not my place to do stuff like this.
The board cooled my temperament, and I am forever thankful for this, since nothing else ever has, so you just shut up and cool it, OK?

Back