About Freelancer and stuff

WC TV Show

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, what did you say about Roberts making a new WC tv show? I looked in the news in case I missed it but I can't find it :(

Hey, there were plans for a third Crusader game? And they canned it?! :(

That leaves me even more desolated than when I thought there had never been plans for another game in that series... Damn! :(

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
Hey, there were plans for a third Crusader game? And they canned it?! :(

That leaves me even more desolated than when I thought there had never been plans for another game in that series... Damn! :(

--Eder

Yup.
It was pretty much a certainty after the first one came out (being a popular game will tend to do that). I even vaguely remember seeing a small pencil sketch or two of a hypothetical bot for that game in a book or magazine (or something similar - don't remember anything at this point except that I saw the sketch).

All in all...

WC - Nothing after SOP
Privateer - Number 3 and/or on-line cancelled (these weren't the same, were they?).
Ultima - IX was the last single-player (and what a disaster it was), while UO2 was cancelled after playing 'guess the name this week'. UO still going strong, of course. And don't forget the toy-line tie-in with the latest release (McFarlane now has the toy line-up for two different MMORPGs. Must be rather nice for him.).
Crusader - Got the stand-alone follow-up, but Crusader 2 vanished without a trace.
System Shock - Same developer (Looking Glass), different publisher (published by EA instead of Origin, iirc, probably due to EA's belief that Origin should focus strictly on on-line content). Looking Glass folded shortly thereafter despite making great games.
Bioforge - Interesting game. There was supposed to be a 'Gold' version released that would include the entire original game plus some additional gameplay following the escape from the planet, but the game was cancelled. Unfortunately, that didn't stop the Egghead that I worked at from including pictures of a supposed game box in our color catalog.
There were a few other games from back before this, but Wing Commander was the first non-Ultima game released by Origin that did well, afaik.

for me...

For me it's about online gaming now. (ahhh yes escape into another reality..)
The current strand here is they can make space trader online or space shooter online or combine both the please both fans.
Wing Commander has the greatest potential to make it online since it has some sort of a fan base..although other similar space sims have fan base also but Wing Commander sort of has this universe created for itself with all the books and other spin off games. Although to me it really wont matter what type of game will make it massive online but it will have to have similar Wing Commander type of structure gameplay-wise. (gain in rank,do missions etc)
Starlancer looks to be a candidate for massive online but I really dont know...
Freelancer is put out to see if there are privateer fans out there. Once every single player game is made in different genres such as Wing Commander,Privateer than they can (hopefully) combine them into a massive online virtual world..cause if Freelancer is made online it will online appeal to space traders..if Wing Commander online is made it will only appeal to Wing Commander fans (me).

A zillion Origin projects have been 'shelved'... people only cry over the ones they know about, though. Here's the list from a few years ago...

Strike Commander II
Phoenix Force
Arthurian Legends
Tank Commander
Prowler
Pac Strike CD
Lost Vale
Bioforge Plus
Hardcore
Armor
Silverheart
WC3 Saturn
WC4 Saturn
WC4 3DO
Privateer II
Firehorse
WC3 M2

Huh, a different Privateer "Two" (II as opposed to 2). I take it that this took place in the original (c. late 2600) WC universe as opposed to the Darkening WC universe (c. late 2700)...?

Ok...

Hello. This is the topic starter....hope u guys remember me.

After alot of reading, (I dont come here too often to read the posts), I can only conclude that my interest in the question of whether or not the Freelancer game will be "successful" is now 100% dead.

After reading that useless mouth stabbing shit it dawned on me that I will never know if the game will be "good" until I sit down and play it.

On more then one occasion has other ppls. opinions predetermined the GENERAL idea of what a game/movie/album/whatever is all about. Every kind of bad preview/review can be devastating for a persons expectations of a game/movie. If u hear someone saying it suckz, then u think almost automaticly that it does...At least in some ways.
It's impossible NOT to influenced by the negative shit that floats around, :D , u cant put that out of your mind when the time comes and u play or watch the game/movie.

The kinda of ppl that have that opinion is afraid to get their hopes up because the chance is that they will be disappointed. I know that because I am one of those ppl.
So I can understand why ppl. expect FL to be totally sucky because of different opinions/facts/and prejudgements.
I say facts because in all of this mouth stabbing, an ounce of truth has surely come up in one form or another, I just don't know which..:cool:

If I may have a another moment of your time..

The Lord of The Rings is a perfect example of high expectations.

Yes I'm a LOTR nerd...read the books and all that.

Just like before I was afraid to be disappointed before hand. People always put write down the crappy bits of a movie/game on a forum or chat line.

And since this was one of the "highpoints" of my literary life, I totally ignored all of those posts and previews. And later I had to avoid the news papers reviews,(the movie had its first running in 9th december), so that was a bit though. But I was determined NOT to be affected of what other ppl. said about the movie before I had a chance to judge for myself.

I see the same stuff here..... Freelancer is apperently, (according to some ppl. here), " not true to it's designers wishes/legacy/whatever".

But then there is the optimists... A kind of ppl. I also have a problem with. Just as ppl say before hand it's gonna suck the other side says it's gonna rock.
So u see the position it puts me in.

I therefore announce that I will NOT give any serious thoughts to there comments made here in this topic. They way I see it, theres a semi-war going on in here, (at least it did), of which I want no part of.

I realise my thoughts here may be somewhat "pushy" to some ppl. in this community. So be it.....Let no one say I don't stand for my opinions WHEN I am sure of them..

(pardon of any mispelling)

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Yay! I went the entire life of this thread WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING!

Sadly I must do it now :(

http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/

Go there if you want to discuss this. They tend to be...how should I say it...more receptive to this sort of thing...maybe...

Why would a forum dedicated to arguing about which kind of space ship is more powerful be "more receptive" to a thread about cancelled Origin games? Don't spam.

Re: LeHah

Originally posted by Tachyon
Well, you obviously felt I was important enough to go to all the trouble to immitate me (remember, I talk out of my ass). I didn't come here just to drop my troll line (heh), the thread was started, I corrected some misconceptions, and all this ape shit happens. Since nobody here can keep themselves from degenerating a sincere thread into a flaming ape-shit war, I'll just drop it. Your loss :) Oh yeah, LeHah, I hope you are aware of the maturity you show off (or lack thereof) by posting that useless insult. Have a nice day!

Heh. Heh heh. Hee hee hee. Hee hee hee. Ha. Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Ahem]

Ok, I'm done... [Snicker]

Re: Ok...

Originally posted by Sirithchilion
Hello. This is the topic starter....hope u guys remember me.

After alot of reading, (I dont come here too often to read the posts), I can only conclude that my interest in the question of whether or not the Freelancer game will be "successful" is now 100% dead.

After reading that useless mouth stabbing shit it dawned on me that I will never know if the game will be "good" until I sit down and play it.

I'm gonna go with ya, what's your name again? :D And yes, the topic went sour-they tend to do that. (Although I've found that ususally it's Group A vs. Group B, now it's All vs. One (shows the support isn't on his side, but apparently his "facts" are).

As for the playing, that's damn true!

Originally posted by LeHah

Heh. Heh heh. Hee hee hee. Hee hee hee. Ha. Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Ahem]

Ok, I'm done... [Snicker]

LeHah, don't tease the animals. :p

While technically it has been an arguement, it actually has been beneficial for those trying to learn about the concepts behind Freelancer, and the people who work on it, that's probably why he left it up. (I'll assume for ya TC:D )

Well, it started turning into a troll-flame-apeshit-whathaveyou war, and TC usually kills those, but I guess he didn't object (as I believe few of us have) to LOAF putting Tach in his place.
I'm trying to be diplomatic here; I seem to have a knack for getting TC PO'ed, which I am trying to avoid (again) here.

Besides, seeing LOAF calmly denounce a raving "fanboy" was rather amusing... :)

Back