A question in morality

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Why would the Kats want to rid the galaxy of Nephilim much more than they want to rid it of Humans?

Because the Nephilim would use their entire race for medical experiments and finger food, while the humans would just try to sell them cheap trinkets and plastic Sivars made in New Detroit.

criticalmass said:
They *wanted* to change their ways - and somebody needed to show them understanding.

As I did - through my stormfire.

Hehe, by the time I got WCP, I didn't even know exactly why the Kilrathi are so bad, and I thought Hawk was nuts.
Then I got WC4 and found out how cool Hawk really was. Used him as frequent killer wingman. The WCs before taught me to hate the Kats, so I killed that suckers big-time in my next WCP playthrough.

And then there's Unknown Enemy. It shows you how the Nephilim are the much bigger threat, and you cooperate closely with a kitty cruiser (you even fly their ships sometimes!). Whether the Kilrathi are to be killed or not will be decided when the bugs are gone.

McGruff said:
Because the Nephilim would use their entire race for medical experiments and finger food, while the humans would just try to sell them cheap trinkets and plastic Sivars made in New Detroit.
I've never played WCP, but regardless of what they're like I would expect the Kilrathi to team up with even them in order to overthrow the humans in the hope that after the humans are gone, they can destroy the Nephilim. Their agenda seems to be domination of any race pure and simple, not to become friends with the humans. It's too bad there wasn't a powerful, yet peaceful friendly race that the humans ran into. They ran into the Firekkan's, but they probably weren't powerful enough to be extremely significant. I think games and sci-fi shows would be even more thought provoking with cold-war like tensions between two races that aren't completely at odds instead of the more common "we're aliens and we want to exterminate all humanity".

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I've never played WCP.

And quickly, suddenly, the thread takes a turn.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
but regardless of what they're like I would expect the Kilrathi to team up with even them in order to overthrow the humans in the hope that after the humans are gone, they can destroy the Nephilim.

Not only are the Kilrathi in no way poweful enough to even have bartering abilities with their lacking military power after WC3 - the Nephilim were a fulfilment of a Kilrathi prophecy. The cats were afraid of them.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Their agenda seems to be domination of any race pure and simple, not to become friends with the humans.

Then why befriend a third party? After all, the Kilrathi wanted to wipe everyone out, not just humanity.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
It's too bad there wasn't a powerful, yet peaceful friendly race that the humans ran into.

The Double-Helix Race is pretty powerful with their making people's heads explode.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I think games and sci-fi shows would be even more thought provoking with cold-war like tensions between two races that aren't completely at odds instead of the more common "we're aliens and we want to exterminate all humanity".

Your wish has been fulfilled. Please watch your local UPN network for Enterprise.

LeHah said:
Not only are the Kilrathi in no way poweful enough to even have bartering abilities with their lacking military power after WC3 - the Nephilim were a fulfilment of a Kilrathi prophecy. The cats were afraid of them.
Yes, this is why my theory is that they teamed up with the humans because the humans were less of a threat. I would assume they wouldn't hesitate to team up AGAINST the humans if their chances for dominating all races were better while fighting on an opposing side. This is as opposed to teaming up with the humans because "we're friends now, we love to fight on the side of the humans, and we should all put the past behind us."

LeHah said:
Then why befriend a third party? After all, the Kilrathi wanted to wipe everyone out, not just humanity.
My theory would be as stated above. They would team up if they could dominate everyone. When I say "dominate" I don't mean the kind of domination the humans have over the Kilrathi- As McGruff described: "selling them plastic Sivars." I mean the kind where the Kilrathi enslave us and make us as Thrakath described: "clownish baboons for (their) amusement."

I'm pretty certain that Kilrathi honor - and mannerism - prevents anything you've mentioned from even crossing their minds. They don't even have a word for "surrender"; I sincerely doubt they have one for "joining xenomorphs in a mutually positive military assembly".

You can best compare the Kilrathi to the Klingons.
They are both races of honorable warriors
In Kirk's time they where the enemy, but in later in TNG & DS9 they were loyal allies.
As long as they respect humans (as I'm sure they do AFTER being defeated by them in WC3), they will not betray them

Before being defeated by them, the kilrathi considered themselves to be superior to humans. (they compared us to the apes on their homeworld, which they hunted)

If you think all Kilrathi deserve to die, then you're just as evil as, for example Thrakath

Mcgruff's attitude has a name: Racism. Or, more accuratelly, specieism. You hate all kilrathis because they are kilrathis... Bam, racism/specieism

Am I nuts enough to actually hate a fictional race of creatures from a video game? Of course not, but I do try to put myself in character and play the games and make choices as I think I would if I was actually a combat pilot in Confed. That means saving the civilians on Ella, letting Dekker deck Maniac (or helping him) etc. I truly believe that after years of watching friends die and worlds get annihilated during years of bitter war with the Kilrathi, the majority of us would HATE them with all of our hearts. By the time of WCP, I wouldn't have the slightest reservation about wasting every last Kat I found.

War can do strange things to do people and people change over time.
In the beginning we fear the cats because we did not do defend Earth and its colonies that the human race would suffer and may face extinction.
Many people would develop a hatred for them as they may have attack/killed people whom they know, family, friends, loved ones and/or comrades.
To see them "allied" in WC4 and Prophecy would have been difficult for many people.
I don't have any grudges towards them. But then it is only me and having played the game living the character of only two people, Blair and Casey.
But if it was myself in that time it would be totally different who knows. It really depends on the circumstances and the people.
Very hard questions.
But then we can just go back and look at history, earlier on someone mentions that the Germans lost in World War 2 became allies later in the years. So did Japan as they are closely work with the US in the Economic Industry, and the recent Iraq War where people are slowly beginning to accept the reality of what is being happening without Saddam.
Lunitari you pose a hard question, especially this question has brought up numerous times for me because I am incorporating it to my fac fic.

Bandit LOAF said:
I think this speech I gave a few years back will explain the situation: http://www.livejournal.com/users/banditloaf/50726.html

Hehehe. I guess some of that is sort of true. You shouldn't eat smelly fish. Fresh fish doesn't really smell "fishy" at all. so the next time your out for sushi, if it smells fishy don't eat it because it's not fresh and has probably gone bad.

I hope this conversation doesn't steer toward whether or not eating kilrathi is murder! (I have some friends who hunt. They killed a bobcat or two and ate them.. Said it wasn't bad. :eek: )

Carnivores generally don't make for the tastiest critters, so I wouldn't want to eat a bobcat or a Kilrathi. A Kilrathi skin rug would be pretty cool however.

Back