A few recent trends

just keep in mind that fads go around in circles, so in a decade or so, they'll be back!!!!!!!!!!

(bum bum bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :))

*Being shocked*. :eek:
It's a vicious circle: They only choose good-looking candidates. Kids fall in love with them, watch it any time..buy everything around it...and new bad music will be produced.

Exactly, that's the worst part!! A complete loser can become famous in less than a month!

I don't hide that subconsciously, there may be a bit of jealousy in that, but when I see such people appear on talk shows, talking about politics and expressing their opinion on how they think the world should function, I keep telling to myself "Dear God, how low are we sinking!"... :rolleyes:

And the worst thing: people listen!

hey I'll watch any female pop icon as long as she's got a GREAT body and decent face (oh, don't forget the skimpy clothing :)), all I have to do is mute it and I'm good to go :)

I'll agree that I also give into watching Britney on mute at times but she has no talent. I lissen to John Williams and David Arnold and Elliot Goldenthal and Bernard Herrmann. I find most "popular" music recycled. Rock died with Cobain, though Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden kept it breathing while they were around and together.

Pop is alive and stumbling around like a drunk in an early Irish novel. People cheer.

I watch rock (and what might be the beginning of classical) music die. Few notice... :(

[Edited by LeHah on 06-14-2001 at 00:49]

Thats really depressing....

Thank god someone will come along with talent and a real love of music that will revive it in your eyes LeHah. Remeber, rock almost died once before and its would be killer was named Disco! It will survive this bubblegum/boyband/rap rock/limpbizkit onslaught.

Yeah! A good rock song is always better than what is now modern..
And mpanty: They only think they're forced to make themselves become a fool! So forget it. :)
I only saw people whom watch them very often (for ex. my classmates) first get addicted and then become stupid...the first theme at school is in those days Big Brother, the second are what talkmaster xy had for guests yesterday. It's sooo annoying!

Originally posted by LeHah
Rock died with Cobain, though Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden kept it breathing while they were around and together.
Again, a matter of taste, but... MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU JUST SAID!!

It's good that you mentioned Ireland,

Pop is alive and stumbling around like a drunk in an early Irish novel. People cheer.
because I have TWO words for you:

U2 :cool:

Here, I'll add another two: Bon Jovi... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-14-2001 at 14:16]

I'm Irish man, back off, I'm dangerous! :)

No, U2 is excellent, esp now that they're going back to their rock roots and away form the travesty that was their album "POP".

Still, is U2 as popular as, say, Britney Spears? By that, I refer to the mass media coverage. Sadly, no. People follow around "She with fake 'uns" and tell you whats she does with whom and when ever single freaking day.

Her relationship with that boy band member cements my conspiracy theory that this is all an act.

And how is that different than what they did for any other flash in the pants teeny bobber craze? Its been the same since Donny Osmond and that guy from the Partrich Family. There may be more mediums to over expose them with nowadays but its just the same. This too shall pass...

Meanwhile bands like U2 will continue to do quality work and sell out three or four shows at each stop in their tour (they had to add two more shows here in Chicago)

Still, is U2 as popular as, say, Britney Spears? By that, I refer to the mass media coverage.
Hey hey hey, U2's been around waaaay before young Britney, they count fans by millions!

They're absolutely worshipped in Ireland, people in England love them, in Europe the as famous as any other rock band, and I don't know about America, but the U2 concert in Montreal on May 27 at the Molson centre, was sold out two months prior to concert! This indicates to a certain extent, that they are way more popular than boy bands and teen pop artists...

Also, Bono is widely known for his contribution in the humanitarian fields, he did quite some work with Greenpeace, and has contributed to stopping the IRA menace in his country...
I'm sorry, many contemporary artists and music lovers think that U2 is one of the greatest rock bands in history, and I am among them! :)

As a total metalhead, I'd like to say that U2 are one of the greatest bands around. However that Swedish bloke who writes most of Britney's stuff is a genius and it takes something like the U2/Eno/Lanois team to do anything as good.

And rock is NOT dead, you've just got to look around for it. And no, I do not mean Limp Bizkit...

By rock I mean The Beatles, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, REM (still around, fading fast), Pearl Jam (Ditto), Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins...

The only around and popular and good is Radiohead.

REM (still around, fading fast)
Fading fast?
They have been around for quite a while, but they ain't fading yet... Their album Reveal is being sold quite well around the world, and their single Illusion of Life is a nice song, very popular in Italy and France... All Italians love REM! :)

As for other rock bands around, we can count Bon Jovi, who's not doing bad at all, The Offspring who never lost their energy, Aerosmith, Beck, Lenny Kravitz, Alanis Morissette, Red Hot Chili Peppers...
All these people are far from over...

If you want to include punk rock as well, slip in Greenday and Blink 182 and we have some winners...

Emerging to open public and "mass" popularity we have bands like Everclear for those who know them (very popular in Canada), Creed, Coleplay, Dandy Warhols...

And down the road, bands who have lost a bit of their thrust in the past years, but who we should expect to come back with a smashing hit, include Oasis, Cranberries, Depeche Mode (whom we finally get some news, after the long absence)...

So trust me, rock ain't dead yet, and it certainly ain't buried! :cool:

I love REM, they were the first band I ever bought...but their recent single also sounds like their last single. And though I haven't heard their recent release, "Up" was a terrible album.

I never cared for Beck, to be honest. They were more pop than rock. Just because a band has a guitar does not make them rock. Blink 182 is pop, for example.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I'll remind you, were more rap based in the beginning but are now rock. They're passable to me, they're not insultingly bad but their not hot sh*t either.

Alanis Morissette I use to hate to such an extent, I demanded her head over Celine Dion's. She's far more pop based: vocals and rythms that are too slow and hip to be rock, which even at it's lightest is still far more drum-based. Alanis is still @$#^%@ing annoying but I'll let my opinion lie, since people probably disagree...

Greenday's day is over. I'm sorry, they went out after Dookie. The End.

Everclear definitely has it's moments, so no complaint's from their department.

Creed. THAT IS INSULTING. Creed is complete and utter garbage. I have more talent on my synthasizer than they ever have. Annoying, dull Pearl Jam rip-offs who actually refute PJ. That's complete bullsh*t. I hate Creed. WORTHLESS. :mad:

I never understood people's love for Oasis, so I can't comment. Cranberries & Depeche Mode are the two most sensible things you said in that post. They...THEY have talent.

Rock isn't dead, maybe I was wrong by jumping the gun, but Pop is certainly overshadowing it and it certainly is sickening... :mad:

Well, it's a matter of taste I suppose, and judgement, which creates problems in "sorting" the bands according to their musical genre...

You say Blink 182 is pop... to me it's most obviously punk rock, but "categories" are futile. If you enjoy the music, does it matter to know exactly "what kind" of music you are enjoying? :)

I don't think Beck is a band, it's only one guy really... who's imposed his own genre, both revolutionary and appealing to the public.

Greenday is not over. They are not as popular and widely known as before, but they still keep a lot of fans. Their single Good Riddance (Time of your life) from the album Nimrod made top 5 in the Europe for about two weeks, and it wasn't so long ago (ok, maybe a few years! <G> )

I'm not going to comment on what you said about Creed. I don't know them very well, but you don't seem to like them a lot (this is a hint to LOAF: <insert sarcastic comment on what I just said here> ;) ).

As for Oasis, perhaps if you were European you'd understand a bit better... Oasis is my favorite rock band, I think I even put them before U2, simply because I fell in love with their single Wonderwall while I was on vacation in the South of Italy, one of my best vacations ever, so perhaps it has an affective meaning.
Though, after their smashing success with the album What's the Story (Morning Hlory) from which Wonderwall is taken, they went a bit fading...
Be Here Now did not sell so good, but there were a couple of good songs in it...
Standing on the Shoulders of Giants had even more problems, but they still hold a lot of fans in Europe, and in Britain especially...

Now it is true Pop is overshadowing rock, but that's just the 2000's trend, LeHah... Times change, people change, it's part of the way of life...
Dance music of the Corona, Dr.Alban, Scatman-type was overly popular in the early 90's, yet now...
"Evolution"...

To bring this back to a WC-related topic, does anyone know why they released a WC Prophecy music album? I mean, what was so special about it?

[Edited by mpanty on 06-14-2001 at 20:54]

Eh, it's important to keep in mind that just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's bad. For example, you may not like Celine Dion (I do - and I'm not ashamed to say it), but to say that she has no talent is just stupid.

Back