Wing Commander Flat Universe

Dear Maslas,

I wonder if you will have any news or update to share with us loyal fans before the end of summer?

Wishing you success and godspeed!

Dear Maslas,

I wonder if you will have any news or update to share with us loyal fans before the end of summer?

Wishing you success and godspeed!

Hi Salk :).

Makes us very happy that we do have YOU, our "loyal fans" on our side during this development journey. Godspeed was the correct vocabulary to use for your wish!
We know that we are silent for some time now but we were off premises for a few months on a "heavy" project, as it was proven later, which is finally finished.
The good news is that we are always trying to push some of our precious time for the development of Flat Universe.
Right now the team is concentrated on three parts of the project.

a. Music engine. Cory, has made a serious progress on the music soundtrack of the project. Due to this fact we are working on how the music will wrap the project and how it will interact with the mission states and situations that the player might get into. Hopefully the next version will have interactive music.:rolleyes:

b. Charts/Nav system. For sometime now Kyrgiannis is cooking something and it smells good too!:cool: QGIS for those who have never heard of it before is an open source geographic information system that is used by many serious organizations and projects out there and it's becoming very popular between the analysts of geospatial data. We saw that a technology like this could be beneficial for the navigation system of FlatUniverse and now we are in the middle of implementing it into the game engine.

c. Patching/Distribution. You might remember that sometime in the past before we release the 0.8.5 version, we got our hands dirty on a patching system that should have been delivered with the 0.8.5 and it didn't make it.
Fortunately, FlatUniverse is getting bigger and bigger with all the features that are going to be included. Unfortunately, a patching system has become an essential tool for the distribution of the project's patches and upgrades. Fortunately, this tool is almost ready to be shipped with the next version. In other words, smaller but more frequent version upgrades and in smaller chunks for faster downloads and installations.

Hopefully, in the upcoming days we will upload some screenshots for some of the points the we've mentioned above.
Truly guys, there are times that I wish we could be developing games as a profession. :rolleyes: But we have to work and feed our families from time to time.:D

the MaslasBros

-----------------------------------
Private Message:
To: DefianceIndustries

Lucky Defiance. Kyrgiannis still hasn't prepared my new Banshee. But luck has the same bad habit with patience and gas. It gets exhausted!

Best wishes,
Maslas

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this nice update!

It is heart warming to see what passion you guys pour in this project!

Looking forward to more updates!

Dear WingNuts,

It was supposed that from yesterday the FlatUniverse public server had to be operational and open for you. Fortunately :) for our living and unfortunately :( for you, a weeks work came out and our development time was reduced to one evening and as it was proven it was not enough. The good news are that there isn't much more work left to do but the release has to be postponed for the next week.
As I said many times before, I wish we could develop games for a living.
We are very very sorry for the inconvenience guys.
See you in cockpit!

the MaslasBros

Hi guys, downloaded the client two weeks ago, but now it will not update... while it reports the need for two updates...
-Reinstalled the client and the update process is now working-

Hi guys, downloaded the client two weeks ago, but now it will not update... while it reports the need for two updates...
-Reinstalled the client and the update process is now working-
Hey Mace,

I'll start from the very good news.
a. The server is up and working. It is stated in the US.
b. The game is tested and is in a very stable playable state. We made stress tests and it did work as expected.
Now the bad news.
Although we did many in house tests before we give the installer to you, yesterday night we managed to gather a series of bugs that would prevent many of you from downloading FlatUniverse.
a. Only the windows platform installer worked as it was supposed to. That means that linux and mac users can't download FlatUniverse yet.
b. The news feed system on all platforms is not updating correctly. In other words, you were unable to learn that the Server is up and online from the installer.

What is expected to happen in the following week is simple. I will give all my effort to debug the installer until the end of this week. What buggs me is that you will have to download again the installer guys and I am really very sorry for that.
If I won't make it, we will post to this forum direct download links to standalone packages of this version for every platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) . Since the game is actually in working state why not let you play. Later on the following days we will give you the updated version of the installer.
Those of you who did managed to download the two packages successfully by their installer. You are all welcome to connect to the server and fly as much as you want.
We are really sorry for giving you headaches and as always thank you for your support. That is why FlatUniverse is still in Alpha state and not Beta, anyway.

Thanks again,
the MaslasBros

Quick tip: If you see players with this symbol ♞ in front of their callsign are staff members. If you see others with this ♟ symbol then they are alpha testers. When you see anyone of them hit them with missiles or questions they deserve it.

Last edited:
I ran into an oddity. I grabbed the win 64bit installer. It ran fine, downloaded both update files per normal. However when I click "Launch" or "Settings" it hard crashes to the desktop with no error. I was able to work around it by going to the install directory ...\MaslasBros\FlatUniverse\Bin and running the flat.exe manually.

Are there any log files that might help troubleshoot?

I ran into an oddity. I grabbed the win 64bit installer. It ran fine, downloaded both update files per normal. However when I click "Launch" or "Settings" it hard crashes to the desktop with no error. I was able to work around it by going to the install directory ...\MaslasBros\FlatUniverse\Bin and running the flat.exe manually.

Are there any log files that might help troubleshoot?
Got exactly thesame issue and reported it to their facebook page, I got around it by having windows 10 run their automatic compatibility troubleshooter, that then set it up as a windows 8 program, and it ran flawlessly since then.

Got exactly thesame issue and reported it to their facebook page, I got around it by having windows 10 run their automatic compatibility troubleshooter, that then set it up as a windows 8 program, and it ran flawlessly since then.

Yep that fixed it. Thanks. Wanna go for a quick spin... since you're on and everything. :)

I'm in the CET-zone, and at work rightnow... but definetely will make some time in the weekend or evenings here and check out who's online... Sunday I did not find a single person online, pretty weird...

News from the enemy lines,

Up to this point I've made progress on the bugs of the patcher and I am closing to the finish line that is why I didn't give you links for the standalone packages. :)
First let me make some introductions about how we, in-house, are calling the patching system of FlatUniverse.
FULG it comes from FlatUniverse Update & Launching GUI and is an external application that launches, upgrades, patches FlatUniverse. It is made as a separate project and when it will become stable it will be given as open source to the public. There will be a fork available in the Bitbucket.
But let me make some points to what it was commented previously on our thread.

....Are there any log files that might help troubleshoot?

A log.txt file was available but archived into an other file. In the upcoming version of FULG it will be accessible on the root folder of the application for obvious reasons.

I did make the packaging procedure of the windows version of FULG into a Windows 7 box and I believe that this is the reason that you had this issue. For the upcoming version, we've prepared a Windows 10 box just for this case. Thanks for reporting by the way guys!:cool:

For those who are interested to know: "What it could go wrong on a simple external application with just one button". I've uploaded the following graph which is a rough logic on how the FULG upgrade system works :). Keep in mind that this logic has to be adapted and be tested on three different platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

fulg_logic.jpg

By the end of the week I will come back with more news, better results and hopefully a new FULG version for you.

Thanks for the support guys!

Big News,

The wait is over guys:). Please, uninstall any version of FlatUniverse you might have and download again you platform specific installer from the already known url:

http://www.maslasbros.com/flatuniverse/register

The version of the installer is totally new, updated and debugged. It is mandatory to download it again. We gonna be online for some times until midnight for today.
We are very sorry for the exhausting delays and the postpones but we do want FlatUniverse to be a quality fan project.;)
We are very excited for this development journey and we are eager to see you inside our reticle!

the MaslasBros

ps: Defiance we gonna need this Vaktoth of yours sooner or later.

Last edited:
With a cleaner head,
Let me get a more technical approach on our new website and do a little versus with the old one.
There are some fundamental characteristics that our older web site was lacking:
a. New people should play Wing Commander!
The old Daedalus was created by WC fans for fans. As a result most out-worlders who were visiting Daedalus didn't know what was this game all about.
We attempted to keep a dual personality on this refit and keep both the old fans and the new-commers happy.

b. It is dynamic.
Old Daedalus was taking much of our precious development time to update and maintain its assets and contents. This site is version controlled and its content can be updated easily.

c. It is responsive.
As you may have already noticed we like our projects to work on several platforms. Based on that philosophy Flat Universe website should be able to look well on you mobiles and tablets too.

d. Daedalus talks with Flat Universe.
The new flight deck collects information regarding the ships and their stats from the same database that the actual game does. That means that you pilots can have an almost realistic idea on how a ship
will respond during a flight session.

Hope you like our additions. Catch up later,
the MaslasBros :)

Last edited:
Back