Wing Commander Flat Universe

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to give you what you guys need/deserve. But I wish you the absolute best! You guys are amazing!

Truly guys that was unexpected for 2016,
Although, we made serious efforts to give an updated release during 2016 our lust to make Flat Universe more complete than ever, brought the change of year faster than we thought.
It seems that those weekly pictures gave you a good taste of our effort and of our progress.
You have honored us, for a second time, as the project of the year.
This means a lot to us and you know it.

Thank you!!!:)

Hi WingNuts,

Yesterday at 19:00 UTC the first multiplayer test of our Alpha closed version became a reality. We managed to gather five alpha testers from Greece and US and we flew sessions for almost an hour in both our European and US servers.
One of our testers and as it was proven a very capable flat pilot too, was Defiance Industries. Beware, when the multiplayer goes public; watch your tales from this sneaky pilot!:eek:
The second tester was the Space Game Junkie web-caster himself Brian Rubin who took the opportunity and streamed our Alpha Test opening on twich. He was proven to be a Broadsword addict but that information should stay between the family.:oops:
We really had great time with them and that weird feeling that our project is getting somehow alive was there.
Hopefully, you might like what you are about to see and you might even laugh with what it was said.
Have fun!

the MaslasBros

Last edited by a moderator:
flat_splash_logo.png

Dear WingNuts,

Yesterday was the last day of the Flat Universe Alpha tests. During those test days the following happened:
  • Flew with four different ship classes (light, medium, heavy, bomber) from two different factions (Confederation, Kilrathi).
  • Fought in eight unique systems from the world of Wing Commander.
  • More than seven hours in the cockpit and dozens of flying sessions.
  • Tested network connections from USA and Europe with alpha testers from various places on the globe.
  • Gathered interesting opinions regarding future/game play upgrades and debugged network stability issues.
  • Live streamed the opening of the alpha tests.
But most of all, we laughed and enjoyed these days more than ever.
Thank you all Flat Pilots that you made it possible.:)

the MaslasBros

Last edited:
Most of the time, we brag about the visual quality of our project. This morning Cory Fujimori managed to give us another reason to be proud of.:cool:
What you are about to hear is how a typical diamond patrol would sound on Flat Universe.
Although Cory warned us that this is not finished and that it still needs ironing we'd like to share our morning experience with you.

Just close your eyes:

http://flatuniverse.solsector.net/tmplt/media/Full_Mission.mp3

the MaslasBros

Most of the time, we brag about the visual quality of our project. This morning Cory Fujimori managed to give us another reason to be proud of.:cool:
What you are about to hear is how a typical diamond patrol would sound on Flat Universe.
Although Cory warned us that this is not finished and that it still needs ironing we'd like to share our morning experience with you.

Just close your eyes:

the MaslasBros

I think I've listened to this track like five times now...

The in-flight mission music is wizard! I love the balance between the heavier synth hits for the bass and the piano. I like original takes on the old familiar themes so that was the big winner for me on the track; (Though the launch/scramble sequence is always a big hit and honestly was never really replicated in the later titles like WC3, IV, or V. IMO)

If I had a nit to pick on the track my only two suggestions would be that the dogfight music should be more up-tempo (similar to the scramble sequence) and probably make use of some brass hits in there, maybe some more strings, but again, that's a suggestion.

Please pass my congrats along to Cory. For an unfinished track, this makes me wish we had it during the MP test. I might've shot Maslas down a few more times. ;)

Please pass my congrats along to Cory. For an unfinished track, this makes me wish we had it during the MP test. I might've shot Maslas down a few more times. ;)

I will pass your congrats and opinion to Cory, if he hasn't already read the thread.
As for the "shot down Maslas" part of the sentence, I have personally ordered, from a well known industry, a Banshee for my personal use and after I get it on my hands the balance might turn against you my friend.;)
If only my contributor won't have it booby trapped.:D

Yes, this is the most awesome remaster/remix of the WC1/WC2 since the Kilrathi Saga-Remaster. Well done.
(Personally, I'd love to hear some elements from Academy, Privateer and Armada as well. Especially the latter has a powerful but underapprechiated soundtrack IMO.)

Just close your eyes:

the MaslasBros

Holy cow! Nice work Cory! Nailed it!

Yes, this is the most awesome remaster/remix of the WC1/WC2 since the Kilrathi Saga-Remaster. Well done.
(Personally, I'd love to hear some elements from Academy, Privateer and Armada as well. Especially the latter has a powerful but underapprechiated soundtrack IMO.)

When Cory joined the FlatUniverse development team, he sent us a demo of his work and said that he wanted to undertake the whole music part of the project. Therefore it is up to him on how the music will wrap around the project and the single player campaign.
As far as we have heard, he has many influences from the Wing Commander 1,2 era.
But one thing is sure.
We love what we hear!

I have personally ordered, from a well known industry, a Banshee for my personal use and after I get it on my hands the balance might turn against you my friend.;)

Special Delivery! As ordered, one Mo' Better Banshee. Now you'll have to back up all that talk of yours at the next testing session ;). Your personal ace variant is still in the paint shop but it'll be done shortly. However here are the two standard paint schemes: The traditional WC4 Banshee, and a later pre-to-early Nephilim war paint job. Enjoy!

BansheeBlueDevil_Fin1.jpg BansheeBlueDevil_Fin2.jpg BansheeBlueDevil_Fin3.jpg BansheeBlueDevil_Fin4.jpg Bansheev2_Final2WC4.jpg Bansheev2_FinalWC4.jpg BansheeWC4_Fin1.jpg BansheeWC4_Fin2.jpg BansheeWC4_Fin3.jpg BansheeWC4_Fin4.jpg BansheeWC4_Fin5.jpg

...Now you'll have to back up all that talk of yours at the next testing session ;). Your personal ace variant is still in the paint shop but it'll be done shortly...

Sure thing! I have already plans for that day. First a salvo of quad Lasers to drain your aft shield and then I will disable your ship with my dual Leechs. After that I will take my time with some creativity.
It sounds like a good plan to me. Don't know about you?

Special Delivery! As ordered, one Mo' Better Banshee. Now you'll have to back up all that talk of yours at the next testing session ;). Your personal ace variant is still in the paint shop but it'll be done shortly. However here are the two standard paint schemes: The traditional WC4 Banshee, and a later pre-to-early Nephilim war paint job. Enjoy!

View attachment 9095 View attachment 9096 View attachment 9097 View attachment 9098 View attachment 9099 View attachment 9100 View attachment 9101 View attachment 9102 View attachment 9103 View attachment 9104 View attachment 9105
I would be interested in this new variant too for the HWRM mod (with the landing gears closed), if that's alright with you. :)

Back