Wing Commander....DEAD?

Because... you know there's never a gap between sequels... Noooooo.

Old game series get continued all the time.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

You people are being so melodramatic. Wing Commander cannot die. For the simple reason of: how do you kill a computer game? It's not something you can just vanquish and that's it. Sure people can stop playing and the company can stop making it but that's beside the point. Just because they're not making it now doesn't mean they won't make it again. God/Sivar has not said "Thou shalt not play or make games in the name of Wing Commander ever again."
Interest back in 1990 made Wing Commander a hit and a classic. Interest today keeps it alive and hopefully sometime in the future interest will peak to the point that some company will take notice and do something about it.
Evidence? Star Trek. The original series lasted 3yrs and ended unspectacularly. Today? 9 movies, 4 series and another in the works. Tons of merchandise.
Star Wars. Almost the same deal. Why did George Lucas decide to do the prequel thrilogy? Because enough people gave enough of a damn to wait for ages for tickets for SW:Ep1:TPM.
The Lord of the Rings. It was written in the forties. The author died in the seventies. Today? It's big enough to justify a 300+ million dollar budget for movie conversion.
Frankly if something builds enough of a fan base it will never be forgotten.

Very true. In fact, a break can be the best thing for a series if the market was previously oversaturated. I don't think that was the case with WC, but the same could well hold true. If people remember WC and there is a demand for it, have faith that it will come back. And until then, we still have a pretty good stream of new novels to hold our interest.

The Wing Commander Universe has seen 9 games (10 counting SO) with 5 add-on packs in total (SO1+2, SM1+2, RF), 5 original books based on the games aswell as HotT and tPoF, a movie with its own novel and follow up, not to mention one season of an animated series. Ideas have been drawn from it for years and every new Space Combat game gets compared to it. How many game epics can you think of that can claim all that? And it has a lot of fan made projects in the works (yes UE is still going sorry about the lack of update on the site)
The truth it is too profitable and has too many long term fans for it to be scrapped permanently, so what if EA are overlooking it. In the short term it is hugely expensive to produce a wing commander game (long term the sales make up for this) and EA can't afford it right now as they have made losses on the console market. We will see another WC.
Personally I want to see the next episodes in the Prophecy trilogy (perhaps without casey), include a nice campaign creater and mulitplayer and I think it will be safe to say the series has gone at that point as far as it needs to.
Come on EA get Origin working on those last two games!

hehe I almost forgot about Privateer
frown.gif

That could definatley use a third installment
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedro: Subtracting Casey from the Prophecy storyline would be really risky. 1) because then you'd have use up space & time developing a new hero when you should be moving the storyline along. Secondly you have no guarantee that people will like the new hero. Therefore for good or for ill we are stuck with Casey.
As for Privateer - one thing at a time.

I wouldn't say we're "stuck" with him. Some people might like Casey.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Its amazing how times chance. When Priv came out we were just happy to finally have a main character with a respectible hair color. Now not only do we expect normal hair coloring, but good acting as well. I'm sorry people, we can't have it both ways.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited September 24, 2000).]

Actually, most likely whenever another WC is made it will NOT be real characters. 3D rendered characters (either in-engine or in rendered FMV). That way they can get a better voice actor and do more things that were not possible in the earlier games. For those who would prefer real actors look how far 3D has came (FF games and upcoming movie). Costs will be less while still retaining storyline.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Some people might indeed like Casey. And I'm one of them
smile.gif
. Frankly, I just don't see what everybody's problem with him is. His acting may not win him any Academy awards, but it's not that bad.

Oh, and what's wrong with blue-black, Wolf Dog?
biggrin.gif

Actually, I think the blue hair is cool, but I'm a little partial since I dye my hair blue. Not everyone shares my affinity for the color though. I've noticed that some places it doesn't go over too well, career fairs especially. I just hate when people see the blue hair and automatically decide to throw away my resume. Of course, my 70's blue pimp suit could also be the problem. It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the color blue.

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited September 24, 2000).]

I don't know I just found casey's voice annoying but it didn't help that so much of the plot was missing I suppose.
I would definatley NOT like to see CG characters in the next WC game, perhaps Privateer but I've never seen a good FMV plot (I'm talking 4hours+ of well written plot) that involved CG characters, they are more expensive in the long run, a small amount of video is cheaper when done using CG characters as you don't have to build any sets but you could never pull off a WC game.
Besides its a matter of consistancy too, it just wouldn't be Wing Commander if we changed AGAIN.

Besides its a matter of consistancy too, it just wouldn't be Wing Commander if we changed AGAIN.
That sentence is inconsistent
smile.gif
. If we changed again, we'd be changing to the way it was before, so we'd be making things more WC.

Not really since the old ones looked hand drawn to me, not CG. Also I don't know about any of you but I find it hard thinking of Bluehair and Mark Hamill as the same character, imagine a 3d generated casey. Personally I find the WC universe a bit inconsistant (WC1-2, WCIII-V, WC movie) but atleast when the games moved from just conversations, to cutscenes to real FMV it was always an imporvement, personally I'd feel CG characters as being a step back from what WC has achieved, a bond with the characters.
It got to me more than any other game when Vagabond died like he did but I doubt it would have had he been a CG character with only a few lines in the whole game to save money.

Pedro: If you have looked at the very latest CG work, it is getting closer every day matching the realism of actors. Also, you can do about a thousand more things with CG than with real actors. Want to see a marine fight a Kilrathi or bug. Sorry can't do it if you want to use real actors. Want to see anything like that which goes on in big budget films? Have to go with CG. As long as they would do it right, it would easily enhance the series. You can get far better voice actors for less than sub-par actors that most of the new crew in Prophecy were. My point is that you can't hope for Origin to keep on making WC4's cause there will most likely never be one done on that scale again. And if they have to cut story and hire barely adaquate actors like they did in Prophecy, then give me CG with the full story. Can't have it all so go with the one that gives the most story for the buck.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

And with CG, with could finally see another Firekkan!
biggrin.gif
Sorry, I just want to see another game with a Firekkan in it.
wink2.gif

Yeah, I didn't think Casey's acting was all that bad. Better than Vaquero from WC3 or Catscratch from WC4.

Wolf Dog: Blue hair, eh? My sister told me yesterday I should dye my hair blue and I told her only old ladies had blue hair. Just kidding, man.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Actually there is no reason not to mix and match them, CG characters neither look or move like real people however CG can be used for every alien in the book, backgrounds etc, with high enough quality CG I see no reason why we couldn't return to the days of WC3 with CG backgrounds etc.
People interacting with cartoons or CG characters has always been a problem but its not unsolvable.

I definetly agree with Pedro. We could easily go back to CG backgrounds and keep the actors to reduce costs. All CG isn't a really bad option either, since it does look really good anymore. However, I just find it easier to relate to actors, who, although they might be pretending, I know are real.

However, if a story is really well done, it shouldn't matter how the cutscenes are done.

Wold Dog, I take it you're not an anime fan. If you were, you would realized that your statement was meaningless.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Back