Wing Commander....DEAD?

HellRaisWC

Spaceman
Now dont get me wrong. im not some kid who once had a WC game and saw this site. I am a ex-Wing Commander player. and i owned HellRaisers Wing Commander site a while back(Doubte anyone will remember)

My qeustion to you is do you think Wing Commander should be declared legaly dead?
Or think "CONFED FORVER!"?

THat is all......
~HellRaiZer

Well, nothing lasts forever, but I don't think Wing Commander's a total write-off just yet. We just have to be patient.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

HellRaisWC said:
Now dont get me wrong. im not some kid who once had a WC game and saw this site. I am a ex-Wing Commander player. and i owned HellRaisers Wing Commander site a while back(Doubte anyone will remember)

My qeustion to you is do you think Wing Commander should be declared legaly dead?
Or think "CONFED FORVER!"?

THat is all......
~HellRaiZer

What, because there's no plans for WC in the immediate future all existing games just vanish? Or one short-sighted decision will stand for all time?

Star Trek's original run ended in 1970 (IIRC) and was said to be dead. The first ST convention was in 1979. Now look at where the franchise is.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
Death is absolutly right. As long as there are people that'll play the games, read the novels, or watch the movie, and come here to talk about all this stuff WC won't be dead. And who knows, we might see a new game someday (and hopefully Pilgrim Truth in the near future).

------------------
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"
and the bodies of those adventurers who get bad advice.

Member of the LMG (Disgruntled Men)

Lots of popular games make a comeback. Examples: Wolfenstein, Doom, Monkey Island, Quest fot Glory... It can take a long time, but you can never declare a game series is dead.

Death: 1969, actually.

Speaking of Pilgrim Truth, is that still in limbo?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last I heard (which was prety long ago) yes. Maybe Telep could sell the book over the net like Stephen King is doing.

Hmm, I hadn't heard much about Star Trek's "demise", since I'm not really a Star Trek fan. It was dead for ten years, and came back, you say? Wow, that does give us some hope.

well WC could come back anyday since space combat sims are still on the market..im more sadden by the death of adventure games like space quest
frown.gif
frown.gif

Ahh, Space Quest. ~nods~ A great adventure game. I recently finished SQ 2.
smile.gif

But Sierra should never have given up on the genre in the first place.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Indeed a great series. You know I even got me a Roland LAPC-I, which is a Roland MT-32 on a card, just so I can listen to how Sierra really intended their games to sound like. But that`s not really WC related, is it?

I don't claim to know the future, but I predict that in 2010, twenty years after the release of WC1, a major event occur that will breathe life back into WC.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited September 18, 2000).]

I don't know if WC is dead, but I think the WC we all know and love is dead. The problem I see in the video game industry are the enormous companies like EA that buy up all the little profitably companies that make good games. The problem is they step in and change the way those little companies work.

That is why some of the biggest names in the industry have left their origins (no pun intended) to start there own companies, like Chris Roberts or Sid Meier. In all the cases, the defectors see the emphasis shift from putting out a great game that people will enjoy, to making money on a rigid time table.

That's why I can't wait for Freelancer. It's in the mold of my fav WC, Privateer, and, although it wouldn't have the WC universe, I am sure Chris Roberts will have something great in store for us. And with DA, I know they are focusing on trying to make the best computer game they can make. So, whenever it does come out, I know it will be great. Just imagine if EA had allowed the same approach on WC4. Imagine that plot and an engine like P2 or WCP. It's enough to make me salivate.

In any case, until EA decides to reevaluate the way they do business, any new WC games won't be able to compete with the history of the series.

But thats just my (cynical) opinion, I could be wrong.

Err.. Yeah...

Meson, the 10th anniversary of WC1 is this month... (In just over a week...)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Wolf Dog said:
I don't know if WC is dead, but I think the WC we all know and love is dead. The problem I see in the video game industry are the enormous companies like EA that buy up all the little profitably companies that make good games. The problem is they step in and change the way those little companies work.
Without EA Origin would never have had the means to make WC3 or 4...
That's why I can't wait for Freelancer. It's in the mold of my fav WC, Privateer, and, although it wouldn't have the WC universe, I am sure Chris Roberts will have something great in store for us.
Maybe, but keep in mind it's not a space sim.
And with DA, I know they are focusing on trying to make the best computer game they can make. So, whenever it does come out, I know it will be great.
Microsoft is paying the bills, they decide what happens. Why do you think that there is no patch for Starlancer? Or why all is quiet on the mission editor front?

True, EA did pay the bills, but if it hadn't been for EA's rigid deadline, WC4 could have had a new flight engine. And we do owe EA a lot for putting up loads of dough for the cinematics in WC4. And I think it is an awesome game, regardless.

I'm not saying EA is evil. WC owes a lot to them. However, WC would owe even more to EA if the corporation's priorities were a little different. I see the making of computer games as an art, whereas I tend to think EA sees them as potential revenue. Not that it's EA fault. The entire entertainment industry seems to have the same perception. Instead of being ambitious and doing new things, they tend to push sequels of mediocre movies and mindless action flicks that tend to generate constant profits. It seems like everytime I go to a movie, I see the same thing I've seen countless times before. Same thing on TV, every sitcom seems to just rehash the material of prior sitcoms. People don't dare to be ambitious, because doing so is time consuming, and time is money. The computer gaming industry didn't have these problems ten years ago, but now that the cost of putting together a game rivals that of the other forms of media, you don't get the same kind of inovation coming out of nowhere that happened back 'in the early days.' So, I don't mean to place all of the blame on EA. I think the real culprit is our entire society, but its just so much easier to use a scapegoat, don't ya think?

And true, maybe Microsoft will prove to be just as bad. I stay busy and haven't done much gaming for the past few years, so I haven't played nor can I comment on the release of Starlancer. But, in my understanding, DA isn't owned by Microsoft, the two just have a strategic alliance, whatever that means. If DA was under EA, I believe Freelancer would have been delivered on the original schedule, ready or not, in the mold of Ultima Ascension.

And Freelancer is indeed a space sim, just not a sim like we've come to expect. Whether that will be good or bad will depend on our expectations, which is why I am keeping my mind open. If its like they describe, slower paced and strategy based, I think it could be very interesting. Great games are almost always revolutionary in scope, and that is what DA is attempting to do. In any case, it won't play like WC, and while I love WC, I'm not neccessarily sure that that is a bad thing.

Now before I say this This is NO I repeat No disrespect to Jason Bernard! Now what I'm going to say will upset some poeple but it shouldn't since i NO disrespect. Now I personal think if jason was still alive I think he would be going absolutely mad at all this talk about it being dead. I mean just type in search Wing Commander and see all the websites still in construction and completed for the wc series and even incorporating other sci-fi avenues into it. Now i know that Wc wasn't all that jason did but in an interview which i will post as soon as i can find it again he said that if he could he would like to continue in the wc series untill his death and never venture and for his last game have a true captains funeral in the game but he knew being that faithful would put him in debt and if he was the only one well what then. Well what I'm getting at is WC is NOT dead.!!!!!!!!

Wow, calm down man. That's what most people here are saying.
smile.gif
Most of us know that WC ain't dead (or we're just in denial
wink2.gif
), either way, we're still here, and that's the best proff that it's still alive and kicking.

------------------
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"
and the bodies of those adventurers who get bad advice.

Member of the LMG (Disgruntled Men)

In my opinion, Wing Commander is on life support, but Origon cant pay for it for that much longer, So they have to pull the plug soon. With NO TALK off the sequal lately, and all these new space combat sims coming out, It looks like Origan cant pump out another game intime.

So I think wing commander is not dead, but is just really really hurt

That is all....
~HellRaizer

Back