what prophecy/secret ops fighters can fly in atmosphere?

Well... nothing looks less aerodynamic than the brick... err, Avenger -- and we *know* it's atmosphere-capable.

wings are not nessisary for flight. a couple of the X-planes used lifting bodies. they looked stupid but they flew. sorta
[edit]
cool. new rank :D

[Edited by $tormin on 04-28-2001 at 01:14]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well... nothing looks less aerodynamic than the brick... err, Avenger -- and we *know* it's atmosphere-capable.

Mmm-hmm. Howzat? Anti-grav? If only we could find someone who knows more about this than LOAF...probably only God. ^_^ And maybe a couple of Origin staffers. :D

Originally posted by $tormin
wings are not nessisary for flight. a couple of the X-planes used lifting bodies. they looked stupid but they flew. sorta
[edit]
cool. new rank :D

[Edited by $tormin on 04-28-2001 at 01:14]

Er...yeah. I do find it rather difficult to believe that the Wasp can fly...^_^

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, lifting bodies. Now that I think of it, the Panther kinda looks like it could fly...or glide...drift...although I always thought the Arrow looked more like those old X-24s and such.

Side note, though: If I remember, the Space Shuttle is based on lifting body data, as is the replacement (which actually LOOKS like them ^_^). So, who knows? Maybe Confed found some weird new law of aerodynamis. Or maybe the atmospheres on planets are really weird. Dunno...ask RFBurns to build a model. ^_^

I dont think in an atmosphere fighters of the future will need air lift to fly, it will be some kind of gravity repulsion or other kind of lift that keeps them from flying. It explains why a Scimitar when operational can fly and fight just fine, but once its systems go down, it, as Blair put it "glides like a brick"

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix

A record broken since. U.S. B-52s broke it during the Gulf War, when several flew from Louisiana to the Gulf and back, launching cruise missiles on the opening night of the war. And supposedly, that record was broken by B-2 Spirits which reportedly flew a similar mission during the Kosovo incident.

Doh! Should have gone with my original instinct and said "The longest bombing mission in history to that time", as the book I was reading on the Flaklands War was a few years old. Thanks, Phoenix.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Ghost
What you said is right except, that the missiles was selled in the war, not before.......and of course are laws against it (don´t selling armament to any involucred country in a war),and the info that US gives to GB...well.

Eh? The only time when selling weapons to combatant nations is illegal is when an arms embargo is imposed, usually by the United Nations. That wasn't the case in the Falklands, although countries like France unilaterally embargoed sales to *Argentina* in response to their invasion of the Flaklands.

But i´m no stupid, i know that we lost the war because the GB army was better trained and equiped than ours (you can´t compare a Harrier with a A4 or SE),but our man of the Air Force was the best we had, and aginst greats odds they manage to destroy many frigates and destroyers. (and we had a drunken general as a president) :(

Well, i'd certainly not argue that flying a Skyhawk into the teeth of Sea Harriers and Seawolf missiles takes a great deal of courage. As a point of fact though, the British only lost two destroyers (HMS Sheffield and HMS Coventry) and two frigates (HMS Antelope and one other whose name I can't remember off the top of my head.) Similarly, the British were themselves facing great odds, as they were severely outumbered in total number of aircraft and operating several thousand miles from their home bases.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Supdon3
I dont think in an atmosphere fighters of the future will need air lift to fly, it will be some kind of gravity repulsion or other kind of lift that keeps them from flying. It explains why a Scimitar when operational can fly and fight just fine, but once its systems go down, it, as Blair put it "glides like a brick"

then why cant you use a banshee in a ground attack?

Yep. I always wondered if the names of the WC3 destroyers was a concidence or not, what with Chris Roberts being a Brit and all.

Best, Raptor

Maybe atmospheric systems are to extravagant for the Border Worlds to include in most of their fighters. To tell you the truth, those missions were really the only time i ever flew a Vindicator.

Roberts? A Brit? Wow, that explains everything. Like why the guys in P2 talk with Britihs accents. ^_^

BTW, the Brits usually refer to Sheffield and Coventry as frigates, not destroyers...our cruisers translate into their frigates.

Yes! Why, Origin, Why? :)

Maybe atmospheric systems are to extravagant for the Border Worlds to include in most of their fighters. To tell you the truth, those missions were really the only time i ever flew a Vindicator.

Hmm. I always flew the Vind, partly because of the Stormfire, and partly because of the Banshee; couldn't control the damn thing. :D

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Roberts? A Brit? Wow, that explains everything. Like why the guys in P2 talk with Britihs accents. ^_^

BTW, the Brits usually refer to Sheffield and Coventry as frigates, not destroyers...our cruisers translate into their frigates.

What? The Sheffield and the Coventry in real life were both guided missile destroyers. And I'm not sure what you mean about cruisers translating into frigates. The British use the exact same classifications for warships as Americans do.

Best, Raptor

I'm sure LOAF said that Roberts isn't British.

And perhaps the fact that the P2 actors were British explains that they have British accents? :)

The Privateer 2 actors were British (well, a bunch of them) because Privateer 2 was filmed in London.

Chris Roberts grew up in England -- but he's an American, born in California.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Depends on the version of lasers & mesons... WC3's Confed versions weren't as effective in atmospheres.
You mean the Ekapshi perhaps mounts specifically atmosphere Lasers and Mesons?

BTW, the Armada Arrow was surely superior to the Dralthi and I liked it way better than the Phantom (which was just...uargh!).
Doesn't Pliers say that you can only fly the Vindicator for atmosphereic mission or at least hints at it?

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-28-2001 at 09:41]

You can only fly the Vindicator for atmosphere missions in WC4 -- this is more a limitation of the game's video sequences (since WC4 shows a video of you entering the atmosphere whenever you do) than an actually in-universe limitation... we *see* the brick fly in an atmosphere in WCA <G>

Atmospheres don't render those guns useless -- they're just not as effective.

OK,thanks. I just thought I remembered Pliers muttering sth about the weak armor of the Vindicator and but she is the only one for atmospheric flight, when you are at the load-out screen.

Kinda stupid to install weapons who aren't very effective in atmosphere in an atmospheric fighter. :) Well, the WC3 Kilrathi never showed much cleverness...
My (German) VS says that the meson is useless in an atmosphere.

BTW, I found the Ekapshi's weapons quite effective in WC3, even in the atmosphere. :)

You got hurt by *Ekapshi* <G>?

The original Victory Streak says that the Mesons are 'ineffective', IIRC... which is slightly different.

Yeah, I found the Ekapshi more of a threat than most Kilrathi space fighters, mostly because their weapons fired so fast. I wasn't shot down by them, though.
The German wording they use for the meson is "wirkungslos" which means "effectless". Hmm, so they are just ineffective. Still, not very smart to install them...

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-28-2001 at 10:09]

Back