What ever happened to the WC4 improvements???

Hey what SciFi is supposed to do is comeup with technologies that will later be invented like Arthur C. Clake's description of a weather satalite that the 1st weather satalite was based on

No, scifi is supposed to come up with fun, exciting stories. Science Fiction (like what Arther C. Clark writes) tries to use currect science to predict the future. Science at the time knew that a satelite could technically be put up there, he was just the first to think of it.

Voondoom: Science knew and had satalites up there, it was Clake who thought of the application of using one as a weather predictor. And the intial purpose of *real good SciFi* is to use current science and scientific trends to predict future technologies and the future while at the same time exploring new social relationships and possiblities that would be bred via that all the while making an entertaining story based on all of this. (I suggest you read some Heinlein or Asimov, perticularily for Heinlein Read Time Enough for Love or The Moon is a harsh Mistress or Stranger in a Strange Land, while for Asimov read the Foundation Trillogy and/or the Robot Series) While I love wing commander it is *Western* SciFi, ie it does not create any truely new ideas or concepts and just tells the same story as many other stories have previously done, with different characters and slightly different technologies ect. This creates a fun story/game but it does not create *orginal* or *good* scifi.
Now I know some of you are going to bite off my head with " how can you say WC isn't good" but I didn;t say it, I said it wasn;t especially good scifi, not that it wasn't the one of the most enjoyable universes that I have ever interacted with in games/books/tv/movies.

Sweet mother God, where do you have your info. So there were artifical satalites up in the 30's. Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up. He came up with the idea of a geosynchrous orbit before the sputnik was ever launched. And I have read most of those stories. Since your not from the USA there is a naming convention used to seperate certain types of stories. Heavy action/advanture with little real science are called scifi. Science Fiction is much more deeper stories. Hard Science Fiction are stories in which the technology is very realistically portrayed. WC is great scifi, just as is Star Wars. But it is not good Science Fiction.

Vondoom: I am born and raised in the New York/New Jersey area, and that so called naming convention is wrong, walk into a library or Book Store and you will find all books that are Science Fiction, scifi, or hard Science Fiction all listed as SciFi or Science Fiction, they are not deliniated, I find Heinlein next to StarWars next to Clark, ect. (even though they are alphabetical you know what I mean) and IIRC clarke did not write the story i am refering to until the 1950's when either sputnik was up or there were definitive plans to make satilities.

BTW while I do tend to deliniate between Hard Science Fiction and not I more a less refer to it as Classic Science fiction and others, becuase mostly the Genre of Hard or Classic Science Fiction has gone into hiding recently (I realize there are some but not as many as there were a little while ago now that most of the great masters are dead: Heinlein, Asimov, Hubert, Dickson, ect)

Library's also list Harlan Ellison as a science fiction writer and while he has written that, he's also written tons of other things. Most library's list all dramas, mystereries, etc under Fiction, but that does not mean anything. Science fiction writers (read any of their essays on the subject) classify them according to that. I simply assumed that you were from another country for various reasons. Clark came up with the idea of permanent satelites in the late 30's, well before sputnik was even a dream. And why would modern hard science fiction be considered "Classic". Classic means that it has been around a while and nothing to do with how it is written. Buck Rogers is classic scifi. And there are tons of good hard science fiction books around. Go out and look around, you'll find many great titles.

I apparently misremembered when he came up with the idea. It was in the October 1945 (twelve years before spuknik)issue of Wireless World. And it was for a network of communication satellites, around the world (although the communication satelite idea was his also and at the same time).

Originally posted by Vondoom
I simply assumed that you were from another country for various reasons.

Being an offensive, arrogant, egotistical bastard is only *one* reason.

(And I should know!)

Vondoom doesn't make mistakes! Dr. Doom always prepares for every possible thing that could happen! He just tends to misremeber... (but remember... he doesn't make mistakes)

TC

Not only does he not make mistakes, he misremembers that he knows everything. If he doesn't know it, he's misremembering that he does know it. All he needs is for someone to correct him... no, I'm sorry, he needs someone to point out that he misremembered, because he's not WRONG... he just forgot.

Bless you, Vondoom, for setting us straight so often. We're glad we can help you remember correctly.

Just out of curiosity, does the Maria Magdalena count as a real ship, or is it a convenient construction for the simulator missions? Because if she *is* a real ship, then we have another Vesuvius-class ship. :)

TyeDyeBoy: You didn't help me with anything. And can't help making mistakes like the whole Mark Day thing when no one bothers to print a correction.

Doctor Walmart strikes again. What does TyeDyeBoy have to do with the Mark Day correction, which was posted here weeks ago? I understand that you feel bad about making an ass out of yourself after not seeing it -- but your own darn fault... and has nothing to do with Tye. Plus, you've been prancing around here making an ass out of yourself for years, regardless.

There are no Vesuvius class ships in the simulator missions -- you must be playing a fan-made addon.

Well, LOAF the correction was never put on the news section, so thats why I never found it. And don't worry LOAF, I will always be in the shadow of your ass. :)

Very mature.

It was posted in the 'updates' section at the top of the page, just like all our other corrections. Next to the word 'CORRECTION' in bold letters.

Back