What ever happened to the WC4 improvements???

Originally posted by Quarto
Hmm... as moderator, I'm not entirely sure what to say. On the one hand, LOAF was the first to start the name-calling. But on the other hand, the way Vondoom said that he assumes Napoleon is not American, it seems almost implicit that A) somehow Americans are superior to everybody else, or B) somehow American standards are the only ones that count. That's as insulting to the rest of us (or more so) than any name-calling.

I dont think A or B applies to the US at all, considering the last election was a complete muck up. A wonderfull example.

RFBurns

"Youre not leaving this quad alive pirate!" [militia, Privateer/RF]

Well my apologies to anyone who is offended, or I have offended. However, I don't see that word being particularly offensive.

If a moderator wishes to edit it, I wont be offended. I just feel it a sad indictment on a certain society (I'm grateful I don't live there) that words such as the ones I've used are considered more offensive than seeing slaughtering and murdering on TV.

:)

That was definatly not the intent. Just simply look at where the US ranks in education and violence compared to the rest of the industrialized nations. And as RFBurns says, our political method too (Unfort. no one else seems to have done all that better on that front).

That's a great point, you can see sex on TV easily in Europe, but people blowing away each other is much harder to find. Unfort. senators here think its worse to have a bare breast than to have someone blowing away 15 cops or mowing down innocents.

Yeah, I just hope Australia doesn't go down the same road as america. Personally, I think there should be more naked breasts...possibly the Pleasure Planet in Gemini bartender talked about in another thread!

I guess the only way we can reach the 27th Century is by starting to make peace. If we can't do it amongst our own neighbours, how are we going to hope for peace on a global scale?

[Edited by redwolf on 02-13-2001 at 11:47]

talking of elections, any ideas on how the Parliament in WC4 was elected?

I'm supposing theres no Westminster system left that far into the future. Who where those seven people at the top (where Paladin was at the end of WC4), were they High Court judges, Cabinet ministers?

Any ideas?

sorry about that redwolf. i wasnt offended, but mr Q might have been.

i would think that the 7 people were represantatives of certain areas of space, like 1 for the border worlds, 1 for sol area etc. or maybe represent 7 areas of funding, like military, agriculture etc.

as to how they are elected... anybodys guess, unless theres proof in a book or something

I suspect that the ones other than Paladin were committee heads, while paladin was the chairman or head of the proceedings.

Just to respond to other items: I have no problems with seeing peoples brain's blown out on TV, if you mean in the news than to not show it would be to ignore a problem that exists, and if you mean in fiction then who cares its not real if you don;t like it don't watch it. The same goes for nudity of any sort.

The american election system is quite screwed up, but it is screwed up for the reason that A. a person's vote in Whyoming counts more towards electing the president than a person's vote from California or Texas or New York. B. There is no standard for counting the votes country wide and no matter what people say the 6% margin of error that many counties in Florida had is just unacceptable when there are systems that can reduce the margin of error to under 1%. C. Corrupt people are elected (a flaw with all democracies or republics or anything where the common person has a say in the government). D. It is possible for a person who more than 50% of all the voting population wants for an office (president and VP) not to win an election. E. it is possible for a person who does not win the Electoral vote to win the election as well (See John Quincy Adams vs Andrew Jackson in the 1824 election).

But hey one should not complain if they don;t have a better idea, which I do have several that might be better but becuase of lack of supporting evidence to testify towards their superiority I shall not comment at this time.

Democracy - a process by which the best liars are sorted from the general populace and placed in a position of power.

alternatively - a system by which people who are incapable of filling out a voting form correctly determine the future of their country.

Still, it could be worse ...

Monarchy - a system where the ruling class is determined by centuries of genetic manipulation, also known as inbreeding.

Communism - a system where a group of comrades take away everything you own, give you two potatoes in return and tell you how lucky you are not to be a capitalist scum. Fortunately, if you distill the pototoes, the whole system becomes more bearable.

Actually Monarchy has several benefits, like a stable government where if you had ever heard of something called genetics, if a genetically superior group of people inbreed they will create a genetically superior ruling class, now the question is are the monarchal families actually genetically superior.

You forgot several forms of government:
Democracy: A government in which each person votes on every issue or in which the voting members of a society are decided through a random lottery way, like the COuncil of 500 in ancient Athens. What AzraeL called democracy is actually a Republic.

Fundamentalist: Where the religious leaders of a country base every law and custom of the country acording to the law of the predominant religion, example: The fundamentalist governments of Iran, Afghanestan, Pakistan and others.

Dictatorship: A powerful military leader siezes control for the duration of his life or until he is pushed out of power, but the title is not passed onto the dictator's child.

Imperial system (the roman system): where the current emperor chooses his successor be it a child or not. In many cases the emporeres chose their closest and most trusted advisor who they felt would do a better job than their spoiled child.

LOAF I do believe that several political threads have existed in the recent past and were NOT closed and you even participated in the discussion as such I do not see why you have decided that this should be any different.

I'm pretty sure at least one political thread has been closed. They have a tendency to get ugly, stupid or both.

Yes but the other "VERY VERY SAD NEWS" is not closed and you have replyed on it on the politics involved in it. As such from simple observation one may say that not only are political threads/discussions allowed in the CZ, they are condoned by the baron of the cz (ie you loaf)

As such from simple observation one may say that not only are political threads/discussions allowed in the CZ, they are condoned by the baron of the cz (ie you LOAF)

One would, of course be wrong. The Admins and Moderator decide when a discussion should be ended. Precident does not matter.

(Note, LOAF is not 'baron of the cz' he is Baron Von LOAF of LOAF's Merry Guild.)

TC

People, all I asked for was for opinions on how the Confederation was run. I don't particularly want to know about the US election (a farce) or other systems :) (although it might have some bearing on ConFed's government grrrr...seeing as Blair flew down to Washington...grrr....)

Oh and another thing, the Parliament at the end of WC4 looked REALLY big. Like a stadium almost. Didn't Blair land at the Capital Building? Isn't that a bit small for what was seen in the game?

i didn't see how big the building from the outside, maybe you'd just see a part of it.

or he just landed near by it and its a historical landmark and he went to another building.

Or its designed like the capital building but its alot bigger in actuality.

Actually, I wonder if that was actually Washington -- *lots* of cities have identical capitol buildings (and the one in Austin is bigger:)).

Back