WC3 and WC4 Books

M

Millzy

I was looking into getting the books for WC3 and WC4 but are they worth getting? I know that I can get them online cause I imagine that they would get hard to find in a book store.

I like them. They give different perspectives. The Price of Freedom gives quite a bit of extra information, as well (as does Heart of the Tiger, but not near the same amount)

What does the WC4 book add? I remember reading the little bit that was in the manual that came with the game. WC4 (the game) always seemed a little too short in my view. It was too quick.

Judging from people here, the WC4 novels adds a lot of back-story regarding Tolwyn's Black Lance and his "Plan".

How can you say the WC4 game was too quick? I'm pretty sure it has the most FMV of all the WCs.

I didn't like the novel excerpt the stuck in the WC4 'manual'. Blair and Maniac were even less friendly than they were in WC3 - I felt they struck a nice balance between each other in the WC4 game.

Blair and Maniac work it out later. He was just worried about Blair at the begining. He isn't even too confrontational about it. He gives him a chance to back out gracefully. The novels greatly work on the interpersonal relations. You get a better sense of Blair as a character than in the games where he's just, basically, your voice. You also get quite a bit more insight into Tolwyn and the Black Lance in the novel (especially in conjunction with False Colors)

About Those Books

Milliz,

By all means get the books. If you can get the complete series. They are excellent and give so much background materialeven though they do differ some from the games. The additional characters are great and the interaction and action the best They are mostly found in used bookstores (I found a never been read copy of End Run in a used bookstore the other day) and some stores like Barnes & Noble have the newer ones.

M. Nelson

Originally posted by Wedge009

How can you say the WC4 game was too quick? I'm pretty sure it has the most FMV of all the WCs.

All that I'm saying is that WC4 is a lot quicker than WC3. I found that the movies were great and the story line progressed but I would have liked a lot more missions. I just found that after playing it for a bit, I was all of the sudden on CD4. Where WC3 had a lot more missions and good stories to go with it.

Originally posted by Wedge009

All that I'm saying is that WC4 is a lot quicker than WC3. I found that the movies were great and the story line progressed but I would have liked a lot more missions. I just found that after playing it for a bit, I was all of the sudden on CD4. Where WC3 had a lot more missions and good stories to go with it.

I agree with you millzy. I got wc3 back in '99 and it took me at least two months to get through. wc4 took me just over a week to complete.
But then again WC4 was set in a time frame of two weeks...

I finished WC4 in a weekend... that was a damned good weekend. I think WC3 took me about a week... but that was probably because it took so damned long to load the missions... so if you failed a mission you'd think 'God damn, I don't want to wait for it to load' and just quit.

TC

Well that's true. WC4 is a great game and I still play both games but I just found it easier that's all. I did like the whole Black Lance story line. I thought that was great.

Same here. Between the female, the job, and the mod, I have very little time left over.(priorities in that order)

It is hard to fit them in. I just got WC2 so I need to start playing that. However I need one of those "slow down" programs b/c it runs too fast.

Erm, perhaps you're just too slow. ;) WC2 should run at a normal framerate, only the cutscenes might go a bit fast. I guess I'm just a fast reader.

the cut sceens do run really fast but you can still read them.

I think that only WC1 and Priv2 have a different type of in-game "timing" that causes 'em to speed up on newer systems. I've got WC2 running on a 366 Mhz, and it runs just dandy; I've just gotta pause the cutscenes to read them, though... :p

In reference to newer systems with older games, I'm having trouble with my [relatively] new Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme joystick in WC3; the game detects the stick as subtly "shaking" in-game, and I've got to maintain an iron grip on it just to fly straight! Is there any patch that will make the game detect the stick as an Analog, or fix the shakage?

you might just have to fly without the joystick. i had mine plugged in and I couldn't play WC3. my screen was shaking and stuff. It was all fixed once I un-plugged it.

There must be a better solution for him, Millzy. I am no joystick expert, but he could try looking for support with the joystick manufacturer.

To present another problem with WC2...

ive had trouble not with a joystick, but with my keyboard in in-game flight. i have to press my arrow keys twice just to move the ship in direction. which for me takes forever just to kill a kilrathi. ive tried to press an arrow key once and hold it down but it doesnt work, the ship just will not move unless i hit it twice. oh well, after several months i finally beat wing commander2. anyone have the same problem in WC2 on KS?

Back