WC3 and WC4 Books

Originally posted by Wildshot
Nearly everybody dies in Wing Commander 3 book.

Except for those that don't. Origin specifically had him change it so there were a bunch of people that could have survived... since they wanted to bring them back for another game.

Maniac, Tolwyn, Blair and Eisen were the only carry overs from WC3 to WC4 and Prophecy, if I'm right.

Originally posted by Ghost
You forgot Vagabond, he is in WC4.
Tolwy and Eisen aren´t in WCP
Rachel and Hawk are in WCP

I did miss Vagabond. He had an ambigious "death" during the Kilrah run.

Tolwyn and Eisen aren't in WC:p! YOU'RE SO PERCEPTIVE, GHOST! YOU SHOULD BE SOLVING CRIMES!

Go reread my post, dammit.

In the WC3 book, Vagabond clearly dies saving Blair, yet he's back in both the WC4 book and game. I was dissapointed that the WC4 book didn't have Vagabond defect with Blair. Vagabond is assumed dead on the attack on the Lexington and never has his blaze of glory on the Orestes station.

In the WC3 book, Vagabond clearly dies saving Blair, yet he's back in both the WC4 book and game. I was dissapointed that the WC4 book didn't have Vagabond defect with Blair. Vagabond is assumed dead on the attack on the Lexington and never has his blaze of glory on the Orestes station.

While I don't remember the exact sequence where he dies, I thought it was still a little up in the air. Vagabond doesn't disappear somewhere in all the confusion (iirc, that's what happens to Maniac), but you don't know for certain that he was fried along with his fighter. Flint, on the other hand, gets to go staticky as her fighter goes *boom*.
I find it VERY ironic that only dead pilot on the Kilrah run is someone who, following the game's logic, wouldn't have even gone on that run in the first place (since in the book Blair picked Rachel, AND had the "kicked in the teeth" conversation with Flint).

In the WC3 book, Vagabond clearly dies saving Blair...
No, he doesn't "clearly die". While I don't have the book handy for an exact excerpt, it's somethig to the effect of Vagabond reaching for the ejection handle, hoping he wasn't too late.

Vagabond's "death" in the WC3 novel:

He broke comm silence. "I can't shake him! I'm going up." And just before the Darket fired again, he managed to add a final plea. "Don't give up, Colonel. You've got to take them down . . . for all of us who didn't make it!"
He slammed the switch to trigger his ejection system, praying he wasn't already too late.

I guess the only way to prove he died is to ask the question: is he in the book for WC4? i have no read the book so i don't know

Originally posted by Millzy
Hobbes was cool to talk to. i never really used him as my wingman... i prefer Vagabond or Maniac... it felt good to blast him out of the sky though...

how can you fly with maniac, he takes out one cat, and starts complaining about the fact that it's getting too hot and we need to be heading back, if you ignore him, he dies.....

hobbes was a lot better....and it broke my heart to see him as a traitor..I defended him until the last moment...took about one sec to kill him........:(

Originally posted by Millzy
I guess the only way to prove he died is to ask the question: is he in the book for WC4? i have no read the book so i don't know

Yes, he is. He appears on the Lexington, and unlike in the game, there is nothing to indicate whether he defects or not.
(iirc, Blair's train of thought shortly before crippling the Lexington indicates that Blair believes both Catscratch and Vagabond are still be on board)

Originally posted by Dragon Lord
...and it broke my heart to see him as a traitor... I defended him until the last moment...
I was disappointed too. Be consoled that it was Ralgha and not "Hobbes" who betrayed the Confederation. ;) Ironic, though, that in his comandeered Thunderbolt, I find him tougher to beat than the Kilrathi in their flying paper ships.

In the 3do version of WC3 you get messages from the reporter occasionally regarding the outcome of the war in the bar of the Victory. In the KS version the telecaster never reports...Strange.

Those scenes (and a few others) were cut from the PC version of WC3 because of space limitations -- WC3 PC was released before CD ROM drives were completely standardized and a sizable portion of the market had drives which could only read 60 minute CDs...

better ship

mhh what ships do you guys prefer to fly?

me: wc1 raptor, wc2 sabre, privateer stilleto, armada phatom,
wc3 excalibur, wc4 dragon, wcp vampire

Any ship which can kill the enemy - really, we've done this dozens of times before. :)

WC1 Raptor
WC2 Sabre
Similar to my preferences so far, although I'd add Rapier (WC1) and the Broadsword (WC2) and Morningstar (SO2).

Privateer Stilleto
Wait, since when could you fly a Stiletto?

Armada Phantom
Gladius and Banshee (carrier strike). I prefer heavy fighters.

WC3 Excalibur
An obvious choice. Before it's available, I go for the Thunderbolt.

WC4 Dragon
WCP Vampire
Again, obvious. Before the Dragon/Lance in WC4, I fly the Avenger. :)

Back