WC SO download, where?

I personally know lots of people who downloaded SO with a 36.6 kps modem (I did...). You could have just downloaded the episodes and got a magazine with the large portion on the CD ... (I did that too because I knew I'd eventually want to delete the large download file and I didn't have a CD burner yet... I only downloaded it instead of bought a magazine first because it allowed me to start the game earlier.)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Heh... I downloaded SO *in entirety* using an incredibly unstable connection which at times - when I got lucky - reached the speed of 500 bytes a second. But most of the time, I was happy with 200 bytes a second. It took several nights. So, the speed of your connection is no excuse.

Like I said, I would buy it if it were available without Prophecy. I won`t pay close to 50$ for PG.
it may have been stupid of OSI to give it away for free, but that`s their problem.
The one thing I can`t stand about that company is that they release products for a limited time and don`t care about new customers who never had the chance to play those games before, and have to turn worlds up-side-down in order to find such games.
I`ll give you another example:
I don`t have the Kilrathi Saga, and I really want to own a copy, but in order to get one I`ll have to pay at least 150 bucks and probably more. I have a close friend who owns the game, and I could easily burn myself a copy and get it over with, but I don`t. I really don`t want to do that, but that`s the only way, aside from spending a ridiculous amount of money on it.

PG went for $20-$30 for a long time... and if you can't pay a company that has given you hundreds of hours of enojoyment as little as that, then you're the one with the problem. Also, why would you want to buy Kilrathi Saga? It's WC1,2 and 3 all over again, which you probably own already.

KS is nice if you have a windows9x machine and you dont want to fool around getting games to run in DOS, but I find myself preferring the gameplay and music of the originals. KS shortened several scenes like Thrakhath being tractored into the Kamekh, the scene where Blair sits with his Particle Cannons locked on Jazz's escape pod, and the explosions involving capships generally suck in comparison to the original DOS releases. I like the big BOOOM with a shockwave.

KS tends to crash sometimes when you're playing, too. I crashed maybe once on my last system with WC2.

$20-30 dollars isn't too much for a game these days. Mad Hatter, if you can't find PG at a price you can afford, email me and I might sell you my copy if the price is right. I don't use mine that much anymore.

------------------
You know what? Here, bottle's on me.
My own humble site, this link works
A fan's way to preserve Wing Commander's future

Hmm, you forgot to mention the error-filled manual, DH. And the cutscenes weren't exactly shortened - they're still the way they were, but _somebody_ forgot to do frame limiting in the cutscenes. As a result, the game itself is at the right speed, but the cutscenes go by at the speed of really quickly. Which messes up the timing, and frequently cuts the scenes short.
But in the end, we're still all slaves to KSaga, because it allows us to run WC1-3 in Win9x without lifting a finger. The price of laziness is eternal Windows.

And did you notice how if you stop and let yourself get killed(or you just let yourself die
smile.gif
)the action speeds up as you watch the game show your death.?

Maybe I could make my site-or part of it a kind of error resolver for the KS Manual
smile.gif

------------------
You know what? Here, bottle's on me.
My own humble site, this link works
A fan's way to preserve Wing Commander's future

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad Hatter said:
Like I said, I would buy it if it were available without Prophecy. I won`t pay close to 50$ for PG.
What if without Prophecy, SO costed around 50$? Would you buy it then? Besides, PG wasn't selling for 50$, but at aroung 40, and it's been a long time since it was released. You could always try seling your Prophecy, and than getting PG.

it may have been stupid of OSI to give it away for free, but that`s their problem.
And the fact that you don't want to pay for it is your problem. OSI didn't just release SO to give fans a game, but to experiment with distributing games online. SO being free was just a nice side effect, and it's not their problem that you couldn't download it.

The one thing I can`t stand about that company is that they release products for a limited time and don`t care about new customers who never had the chance to play those games before, and have to turn worlds up-side-down in order to find such games.
So just because some fans didn't get to buy the older games, they should re-release them every few years?

I`ll give you another example:
I don`t have the Kilrathi Saga, and I really want to own a copy, but in order to get one I`ll have to pay at least 150 bucks and probably more. I have a close friend who owns the game, and I could easily burn myself a copy and get it over with, but I don`t. I really don`t want to do that, but that`s the only way, aside from spending a ridiculous amount of money on it.

If you have the original games you wouldn't have to buy KS. And KS was released two times already. Though I know many people that wanted to wait till the price drops, and than started bitching when they couldn't find it anymore. OSI did the fans a favor by releasing KS, just because you weren't around to get it doesen't mean that they did something wrong or stupid.

Quarto said:
Hmm, you forgot to mention the error-filled manual, DH.
He he, all WC manuals have errors. It may seem that KS has more, because it's larger than most of them.

And the cutscenes weren't exactly shortened - they're still the way they were, but _somebody_ forgot to do frame limiting in the cutscenes. As a result, the game itself is at the right speed, but the cutscenes go by at the speed of really quickly. Which messes up the timing, and frequently cuts the scenes short.
Hm, never happened to me….

But in the end, we're still all slaves to KSaga, because it allows us to run WC1-3 in Win9x without lifting a finger.

Well, that's true, but many people don't have any problems with KS, while the originals can sometimes be a pain to get them runing.

[/QUOTE]The price of laziness is eternal Windows.[/QUOTE]

LOL!
smile.gif

That's what a lot of people did actually... buy WCPG and sell their original WCP. not me though. I'm very happy with my original, classic and Gold. All I need now is the Special Edition. The going rate for all WC games on eBay has been rising a lot lately too.

Quarto said:
Heh... I downloaded SO *in entirety* using an incredibly unstable connection which at times - when I got lucky - reached the speed of 500 bytes a second. But most of the time, I was happy with 200 bytes a second. It took several nights. So, the speed of your connection is no excuse.

Actually, for those of us on dial up connections, with a max of 4 hours on the net a day, it's really hard to D/L anything. Because of a single phoneline, i can't let mine run forever and ever, and I have to disconnect periodically to check calls. It's not my fault my parents don't understand dedication to video games, so a slow, dialup is a perfectly good excuse.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Well, I got mine from the cover cd-rom of Belgium's most repected games magazine. The only thing I regret is not having the manual.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Knight said:
Actually, for those of us on dial up connections, with a max of 4 hours on the net a day, it's really hard to D/L anything. Because of a single phoneline, i can't let mine run forever and ever, and I have to disconnect periodically to check calls. It's not my fault my parents don't understand dedication to video games, so a slow, dialup is a perfectly good excuse.
You do of course know about programs like Get Right, don't you?
smile.gif

I couldn't have downloaded the full SO pack without Getright... I'm always getting disconnected, it's a necessity.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Well, considering at the time my knowledge of the internet and its internal workings was nil, no, I didn't. Did you even read what I wrote? I clearly said that I did not have internet access at the time of the SO download, all I could do was go to my brothers and check hotmail, and start visiting here, that was late '98, I believe, or was it closer to August? not sure.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

You could have downloaded the individual episodes though. They're less than a meg each, would fit on a floppy quite nicely.
smile.gif

I downloaded it off on a dial-up connection and it took me days to get the whole thing, with getright. And my phone bill went up $25 just because of that.

And yes, they didn't sell WCPG here because WCP didn't sell very well, and people here do find absurd paying $40 and then paying $50 for the gold version to get the extra goodies.

You were quite right LOAF. But watch how you throw us in your words of wisdom, ok?
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Look everybody, not everyone who plays Wing Commander is a such a dedicated fan as most of you are, and not everyone will buy a "gold" product after already having the original. I don`t buy a lot of games as it is, and if I did buy one, you can imagine it must be either a special occasion, or a special game.
Selling my copy of Prophecy would be too much of a hassle to be worth it, but after seeing your reactions, I might eventually buy PG, it`ll take time though.
About the KS, I don`t own any of the original 3. I borrowed WC1 from a friend, but couldn`t get it to work right: it was either to slow or to fast.
Don`t assume everybody who visits this chat zone has every copy of every WC game.

I had no access too at the time (excpt at my mom's work), and they didn't sell PG aswell.
Ordered my copy from the net, and although it really cost me (bout 60$ and that was the best deal I could find!), I would do it again.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Earthworm: The KS manual should, in theory, only have those errors that appeared in the original manuals. But it has many, many new ones. Origin's attempt to add new stuff to an old product would normally be quite commendable, but I don't think anybody wanted more errors...

Back