WC SO download, where?

Mad Hatter

Spaceman
Well, I`ve just bought, played and finished Prophecy (you`re probably thinking: "It`s about time!"), and I can`t get enough (that`s part of the reason I haven`t been visiting much). Where can I get WCSO from?

86 my request, I found a place to download the game from. it`s a huge 112 MB download, but since I`m downloading it at work, I don`t think anyone will mind... Well, execpt for the fact that I`ll be clogging the network for the next 9 hours or so, heh heh.
Just don`t tell anyone.

oh yeah, it'll be our little secret.

what's your boss's number?
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The main download (first 4 missions) is still available, but not the episodes. Look for a package called Prophecy Gold.

Too late to realize I already bought Prophecy regular edition, I won`t buy the Gold edition. Anyway like I said, I`ve found a place to download it, but thanks all the same.

Yeah, but the donwload you got has only the first episoded. It's 5 or 6 missions (both loosing and wining paths), so if you want to play the full game you'll have to buy PG.

I saw all episodes in ************, Are you absolutely sure?

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited April 24, 2000).]

Oh, they might be there. But it's illegal to download them. Which means that if you do, you'll find a crowd of WC fans with torches outside your house tonight... and there will be calls for blood.

It`s 100% legal site (sorry I put the name Kris). If it were illegal it wouldn`t be there, and BTW it`s not the only place I saw it in.
I don`t think it should make a difference as long as I register, which I did.

Yes, the site is legal. But they do not have Origin's permission to distribute the episodes. To put it simply, Origin decided against prosecuting all those sites that continue to allow the *illegal* distribution of episodes; there are too many of them to make such action worthwhile. And registering certainly doesn't make it all right. Still, there's no way that anybody can stop you, just like there is no way anobody can stop those sites... so, it's your choice.

That`s weird... I find it hard to believe that sites such as the one I mentioned and the likes who don`t usually distribute any illegal stuff would do that. How do you know they didn`t get permission from Origin? And BTW did this site get permission to distribute WC1 & 2 add-on missions? and the music and all?

They didn't get permission because Origin isn't giving it to anyone. That's a 100% certain fact. They might change their mind at some point later, but right now, they really want people to buy WCP Gold.
As for the KSaga add-ons, yes, they are allowed to distribute them. Everybody are. Those are completely free, and won't work anyway if you don't have KSaga (*cough* bullshit
smile.gif
*cough*), so Origin's not worried. And the music... I don't know about that. But Origin certainly hasn't complained about that, as they have (repeatedly) about people still distributing SO episodes.

I`d buy Secret Ops if it were sold separately, but I just bought Prophecy. It would be absurd to go buy Prophecy Gold now, wouldn`t it?

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited April 24, 2000).]

Why would it be absurd? Think of it as buying SO by itself, and Prophecy just comes as a gift from OSI.
smile.gif

Mad Hatter says:

It`s 100% legal site (sorry I put the name Kris). If it were illegal it wouldn`t be there, and BTW it`s not the only place I saw it in.
I don`t think it should make a difference as long as I register, which I did.

The sites are legal, but distribution of the SO episodes is. OSI want people to buy Prophecy Gold, instead of downloading something that was a limited offer. And the registration is still there so people can use the main download (the 112 meg one) which now serves as a demo for PG.

I just send an e-mail to your hotmail account with the information you need.

PS: I didn´t say nothing against the rules so please don´t edit/delete my post.

------------------
"Hasta la victoria siempre."
-El Che

The absurdity is that, with all due respect, not everyone who`d bought Prophecy when it just came out in 97, is willing to buy it again just to get SO. I saw how much it costs on OSI`s web site, and I don`t want to pay that price.

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited April 24, 2000).]

Why? SO is a stand alone game that by itself could cost around 20-30$. I bought it after already buying two copies of Prophecy, and I didn't regret that for even a second.

It's absurd for them to charge for a product
smile.gif
? Only in Brazil.

The *absurd* thing is that Origin, who payed a team of people to develop Secret Ops, was willing to give it away to people for almost a year. FOR NOTHING. If you bought Prophecy when it came out, you should have downlodead SO when it was available.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

If you bought Prophecy when it came out, you should have downlodead SO when it was available.
Believe it or not I had never heard of Secret Ops until I visited the TCE (around March/April '99) and read something about it...Of course by then it had been discontinued.
It was through a post here that I found out where I could download the no longer available missions.

------------------
Beer:
'Helping ugly people have sex since 1862!!'

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
The Fanfiction Archives

Bandit LOAF said:
The *absurd* thing is that Origin, who payed a team of people to develop Secret Ops, was willing to give it away to people for almost a year. FOR NOTHING. If you bought Prophecy when it came out, you should have downlodead SO when it was available.

If they would have charged for it, they would have made more money in the first place, and they might have had a little more $$$ to put toward WCO/POL's budget. And one more thing LOAF, I bought WCP in early 1998, not long after it came out, but was without net access til early 1999, missing the WCSO downloads by a longshot (though I did register for them on my bro's computer, I couldn't D/L them, especially over a 33.6. On one of those frequent trips to my brother's house, I sent an email from my hotmail account asking OSI if they were planning on releasing SO on a CD game, later on in stores, I was given a negative reply, and told that I would only be able to d/L it. Dissappointed, I went on, thinking I'd never be able to play SO, then along came WCPG, which I bought in a heartbeat, even though I could have D/led the game from one of those sites. I do not regret buying it, since I came with a beefer manual, with all the nice fiction. The moral of the story is, I have no clue what I'm talking about, but it also means, that if I was smart, I would have waited a week, and bought a copy of it for 5 bucks on eBay!
smile.gif
Which I'm sure you can still do. Other morals include, things should not be free if you intend to keep making them
smile.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Back